PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Podcast: Brandon Tate interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
QFT.

Tate should not even have been considered until the 6th round.

What the FO should have done is tell Jax that they can keep their 7th-rounder & accept #83 instead of #73, because CB Derek Cox would have very likely been still available at the higher spot. The FO then could have drafted Derrick Williams, who carries a similar skill set with a better track record, and - most importantly - without the injury history & off-field baggage.

If Jax refused to budge, then the FO should have - at the very least - drafted Juaquin Iglesias at #83. While not as flashy as Tate or Williams, he is bigger, stronger, more reliable & more productive.

Why would the Patriots be interested in Derek Cox when they already had Springs, Bodden, Wilhite, Wheatley, Butler and Hobbs? Answer: They wouldn't.

How did Derrick Williams have a better track record? Cause you say so?

BTW, Tate, when he was tested on his college campus, had a 36 in. vertical. Williams only has a 33 in. vertical and Iglesias a 34.5 in vertical. Something else to remember. Tate didn't have the benefit of training for a couple of months for the combine. So we don't know what sort of numbers he would have put up.

Now, as for drafting Williams at 73, how do you know they would have had Williams rated that highly? You don't. Neither do I. But, if the Pats had wanted to take Williams, do you really think they would have made the trade they did?

As for Inglesias, did you stop to think that maybe many people feel that Inglesias doesn't have much more of a ceiling. And that's why he fell to the end of the 3rd round? In fact, most of the sites I've read say that Inglesias has never been the go-to guy and probably won't match up well against top CBs and is probably best suited for the slot. I read much the same about Williams. Tate, on the other hand, I read that he's still got loads of untapped potential and that his route running was still getting better in his senior year up until his knee blowout.

If that's his strategy, then his strategy sux.

The strategy should be: Take the best player available at positions of need.

So, its the 2nd round and the top need is a ILB, yet the highest rated ILB you have on your board is a 5th rounder, so the Pats should take him. :rolleyes:

Great strategy there. The Detroit Lions are calling and want to know why you stole their draft plans and are broadcasting them to everyone.

The Best strategy is to draft VALUE. And that VALUE is determined by the Patriots Scouting Staff. NOT Scouts.Com. Not NFLDraftScout.com. Not TheHuddleReport. And not by Scott Wright. What you forget is that the Patriots spend 3-4 years scouting and evaluating a player. You judging them based on nothing but some website is just dumb. You never stop to answer the important questions: How did the guy interview? How did he do in his film breakdown? Is he coachable by Belichick and his staff? How does he handle criticism? Those are all things that I am sure the Patriots take into consideration when they draft a player.

If that's his strategy, then his strategy sux.
There is nothing wrong with taking a chance on greatness. So Chad Jackson bombed, we signed Joey Galloway for now. You can fill in for missed picks with vets like Galloway, Springs, Bodden, Taylor. You only get a few shots at greatness.

I am not saying that's his strategy, honestly I don't have a clue. But he has been quoted as saying "don't be afraid to take a chance on greatness" and he has had good success signing cheap vets to fill holes. So, to me, it fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes