PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please bring back Romeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is available for the right price, great. But he is a day late and a dollar short in his thinking. For a guy who is known for his serious, dedicated, professional approach to the game, why he would pick Jerry Jones' Cowboys over BB's Patriots is soooo beyond me. I don't know, maybe he lives in or near Texas.
He grew up in Texas and played college ball for Texas Tech.

As for the idea of RAC coming back, I wouldn't be surprised if BB hasn't already called him and told him, "Romeo, there will always be a place for you in my organization. See what else is open to you and then come talk to me. We'll find a place for you. (Just don't go to the Jets!)"

Last edited:
I'd love to see RAC come back. He was a great DC and seemed like a guy that players loved to play for.

To me he seems destined to be a lifelong coordinator. I don't think he has the personality/traits to be a head coach. But boy is he a damned good coordinator. WHERE FOR ART THOU ROMEO? COME BACK!!!

If it happened, they wouldn't dump peas. RC would come in not as the DC but as an "assistant". I think that is what BP did with BB here. But I very highly doubt it will happen. Crennell more likely ends up as the DC of the NYJ or ends up the HC of SCT (Some College Team). I think the only reason the NYJ thing doesn't happen is because of the situation. If Mangini is still around next year, one would have to believe that this is Mangini's last year if the NYJ don't make the playoffs. RC might see that as 'getting fired from the frying pan only to be hired by the fire'. And maybe see that as not the best option. I hope he isn't hired by Mangini but I'd bet that is where he is headed.

I rather think he goes to Notre Dame as the DC. Don't forget that Charlie Weis was an OC guy.

College coaching is all about recruiting. Players love RAC. He could be a great recruiter. But at age 61, isn't he too old to start building a program that way?

As for ND, he could surely make more money as a DC in the NFL. And while he's better paid than most of us, and he doesn't have a sick-child need to be "greedy" the way Charlie Weis does, I'm guessing he'd still like to come close to maxing out his income. THAT rich he and his family aren't. (Army brat, IIRC, so it's not like his family is full of upper middle class folks who couldn't possibly use a handout or safety net from him.)

Rumor has it that he might stay in Cleveland if Pioli takes over, as an assistant there.

I think bringing RAC back to foxborough would help the re-signing of wilfork and seymour........

that said, the pats are already paying capers and peas who are solid defensive guys..........but its like he simply belongs here

I'd like to know what these supposed rumors were last year that Pees lost play-calling ability for the defense. I know it happened with Mangini and I think the OP is remembering wrong.

Crennel wouldn't have done any better than Pees did with the personnel available. Crennel is great. I'd love for him to be back. But I don't see it happening unless Pees goes somewhere else.

Ok. Can we follow a the course of events. Savage was fired on Sunday. Crennel was fired on Monday. That means that it wasn't Savage's last act as a GM. It was the owner who decided that Crennel needed to go. So, why would the owner allow the next coach to bring Crennel back?
Just because RAC did not meet expectations as HC does not mean that he couldn't be a fine DC again, if that is what he wants to do.

Ok. Can we follow a the course of events. Savage was fired on Sunday. Crennel was fired on Monday. That means that it wasn't Savage's last act as a GM. It was the owner who decided that Crennel needed to go. So, why would the owner allow the next coach to bring Crennel back?

Because Lerner wouldn't hold a grudge against Crennel insofar as it would hinder him from hiring a GM like Pioli.

It's like the situation in KC (where Pioli is also wanted) - Hunt wants Edwards to stay, but won't allow it to be a stumbling block to any GM deal.

I don't think the moves were right in either situation; if you want to hire a new GM, then don't start making moves with the coaching staff - let your GM do that.

Last edited:
Pioli
McDaniels
Crennel
Quinn

Interesting quartet and probably no real power struggles, but the question then becomes whether or not Pioli/McDaniels think they can make Quinn a Brady/Cassel type of player, given his career sub 50% completion percentage.

imagine if that happens, weiss gets canned from notre dame, and becomes the oc in cleveland to be reunited with all the coaches as well as his second favorite qb he's ever coached

A topic we've all been talking about since early last season looks like it could officialy present itself to us. Crennel is about to be fired. So, do we bring him back?
We all remember the rumors of Peas losing play calling priveledges late last year. We all know the defense is the achiles heal of this team. Most of that is due to the players in the unis and not the coaches, but Crennel was a master at game planning. I would LOVE to see him back as d coordinator.

Did RAC lose his defensive game planning skills when he went to the Browns?They stunk on D. It seems to me BB made RAC appear better than he really was. I'd keep Pees if it was my decision. Plus if RAC came back and the Pats won the SB, I'd be sick of hearing how BB has never won a SB without RAC. Make no mistake, BB was the brains behind the game plans no matter what BB has said publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft