Playoff scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTibbs

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Can someone explain the AFC playoff situation? I understand that if the Patriots win out and the Bengals lose at Kansas City(which they will) that the Patriots get the #3 seed. With that said who will the Patriots play? Are the Chiefs still alive in the race? Will the Steelers have to lose to Detriot for the Chiefs to get in? That won't happen anyhow the Steelers will roll over the Lions.

Last edited:
For the Chiefs to get in, both PITT and SD must lose.

The number 3 seed will play PITT.

MrTibbs said:
Can someone explain the AFC playoff situation? I understand that if the Patriots win out and the Bengals lost at Kansas City(which they will) that the Patriots get the #3 seed. With that said who will the Patriots play? Are the Chiefs still alive in the race? Will the Steelers have to lose to Detriot for the Chiefs to get in? That won't happen anyhow the Steelers will roll over the Lions.

What does San Diego have to do with it?

They've already been eliminated.

The Chiefs need a win over the Bengals and a Pittsburgh loss to the Lions to get the #6 seed.

If that happened, the Chiefs and Steelers would have 10-6 record, but the Chiefs would win the tiebreaker with a 9-3 conference record (versus Pitt's 7-5).

Here's the current seeding:

1 - Colts - 13-2 - clinched AFC South and homefield advantage throughout - can't lose #1 seed

2 - Broncos - 12-3 - clinhced AFC West - can't lose #2 seed

3 - Bengals - 11-4 - clinched AFC North - can lose #3 seed with NE win over NYJ and MIA, as well as a CIN loss in KC

4 - Patriots - 9-5 - clinched AFC East - can win #3 seed with NE win over NYJ and MIA, as well as CIN loss in KC

5 - Jaguars - 11-4 - clinched #5 seed

6 - Steelers - 10-5 - can lose #6 seed with KC win over CIN and PIT loss to DET

Non-eliminated teams still in the running:

7 - Chiefs - 9-6 - can win #6 seed with KC win over CIN and PIT loss to DET

WILD-CARD WEEKEND
Saturday, January 7: No. 5 Jaguars at No. 4 Patriots
Sunday, January 8: No. 6 Steelers at No. 3 Bengals

*The Patriots would host either the #6 Steelers or #6 Chiefs on Sunday, January 8th if they win the #3 seed*

DIVISIONAL ROUND
Saturday, January 14: TBD at No. 2 Broncos
Sunday, January 15: TBD at No. 1 Colts

*The #1 Colts play the lower-seeded winner of the Wild Card Round*

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Sunday, Jan. 22: TBD

*Higher-seeded winner from Divisional Round hosts*

SUPER BOWL XL
Sunday, Feb. 5: Ford Field, Detroit, MI

NEM said:
Simplest way is that if the Pats get the 3rd seed, they will play number 6. If they get 4th, they will play number 5.

Assuming that both they and Cincy win....Cincy at number 3 goes to Denver and Pats go to Indy.

Reverse it if the Pats ended up at number 3.

Wrong. If the Pats get the #3 seed and win in the first round, they go to Denver in the second round regardless. The winner of the other game goes to Indy regardless.

If the Pats get the #4 seed and win in the first round, they go to Denver only if Pitt or KC upsets Cinci in the first round. If Cinci wins, the Pats go to Indy in the second round.

KC also needs San Diego to lose, due to tie breaking scenarios.

Last edited:
No, the tiebreaker after head-to-head (Chiefs and Steelers haven't played this year) for wildcards is conference record, and KC has already clinched a better one over Pittsburgh. (8-3 v. 7-5)

Last edited:
pats1 said:
No, the tiebreaker after head-to-head (Chiefs and Steelers haven't played this year) for wildcards is conference record, and KC has already clinched a better one over Pittsburgh. (8-3 v. 7-5)

Just what I read at ESPN.

although Chargers have been eliminated, if they win vs. Broncos and they, the Chiefs and the Steelers all finish at 10-6, you would break division ties first. Chargers would win tiebreaker vs. Chiefs based on common opponents (8-4 vs 7-5) and that would eliminate the Chiefs. They would then go to tiebreaker vs. Steelers, which Pittsburgh would win based on its head-to-head win vs. Chargers)

pats1 said:
WILD-CARD WEEKEND
Saturday, January 7: No. 5 Jaguars at No. 4 Patriots
Sunday, January 8: No. 6 Steelers at No. 3 Bengals

*The Patriots would host either the #6 Steelers or #6 Chiefs on Sunday, January 8th if they win the #3 seed*

pats1,

Is that schedule set?
I'm hoping the Pats will play on Jan. 7, I have plans that are hard to change for the 8th.

Thanks, TPL.

TPL said:
pats1,

Is that schedule set?
I'm hoping the Pats will play on Jan. 7, I have plans that are hard to change for the 8th.

Thanks, TPL.

Yep, the higher-seeded host plays on Sunday.

TPL said:
Just what I read at ESPN.

although Chargers have been eliminated, if they win vs. Broncos and they, the Chiefs and the Steelers all finish at 10-6, you would break division ties first. Chargers would win tiebreaker vs. Chiefs based on common opponents (8-4 vs 7-5) and that would eliminate the Chiefs. They would then go to tiebreaker vs. Steelers, which Pittsburgh would win based on its head-to-head win vs. Chargers)

Good point. I forget SD is eliminated solely beacuse they can't win the division, and they can't beat Pitt out for the Wild Card spot. I forgot that SD could still challenge KC record-wise.

Last edited:
AFC North
• The Bengals have clinched the AFC North.

• The Steelers can clinch a playoff spot with:
1. A win
2. A Chiefs loss or tie
3. A Chargers win (note: although Chargers have been eliminated, if they win vs. Broncos and they, the Chiefs and the Steelers all finish at 10-6, you would break division ties first. Chargers would win tiebreaker vs. Chiefs based on common opponents (8-4 vs 7-5) and that would eliminate the Chiefs. They would then go to tiebreaker vs. Steelers, which Pittsburgh would win based on its head-to-head win vs. Chargers)

AFC West

• The Broncos have clinched the AFC West and a first-round bye. • The Chiefs can clinch a playoff spot with:
1. A win and a Steelers loss and a Chargers loss or tie.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2232165

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Yep, the higher-seeded host plays on Sunday.

Thanks.
I quess I want the 4th seed then, so I can watch on Saturday Jan. 7th (Hopefully they'll have a Sat. night game in the snow and cold).
The later Sunday game would be okay though.
We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft