PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoff hopes, vs playoff expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There is no bigger fan and Patriots homer than I am. I'm proud of that.

I know that there are many fans here who have great expectations for this team going into the playoffs. I love this 2013 Patriots team and probably it ranks up there as one of my favorite Patriots teams.

Personally I feel much the same way about this year as I did the 2001 team. After 30 years of being a Patriots fan and having a trained mind set that building my hopes up will only lead to bitter disappointment, part of me did not want them to make it to the SB, only to be crushed by the Greatest Show on Turf. Having endured the one sided SB loss to the Bears, and the heart breaking loss to the Packers, and all that followed after those losses, I was gun shy. I wanted the next Patriots team to go to the SB to be the dominant favorite and win it, just once in my lifetime.

I still can't put together the words to describe my elation when they won that SB. The 2003,2004, and 2007 team were teams that I had high expectations of being SB Champions.

This year I'm amazed that this finished 12-4, and very happy with the guts and metal toughness this team has displayed all year. Given all the adversity they have had to overcome, it is something that all of us can be proud of that they earned the #2 seed.

I don't have any great playoff expectations for this team, this year. Whatever happens will not change the feelings that I have for this team. I have hopes and if those hopes come to be, I'll be almost as elated as I was in 2001. But I have no realistic expectations for this team, and I'm ready to enjoy the ride where ever the ride takes us.

Are there any others that share the same feelings that I have?

Last edited:
Beautifully said.
I'll take what comes and be grateful for all of it. Just please no more injuries!!!

Pretty much have the same feelings.

So proud of where this team finished in the regular season despite all of the challenges it faced, on and off the field. They made the right move by quickly releasing a former tight end, so they can move on without that distraction. Injury after injury and still grinding out wins showed the toughness of the team.

No expectations for this year's playoffs unlike recent years. Whatever happens, happens. I just want to see the same toughness and determination I have seen all regular season.

I expect the Patriots to not win the Super Bowl. Even making the Super Bowl will exceed my expectations, because, to be blunt, they're just not an exceptionally talented team after all of their injuries. In a weird way it kinda makes the next few weeks easier. I still think that they can win it all, partly because any playoff team--especially with a bye--has a real shot, and also because of Brady and Belichick. But if they don't win it all, I don't think the letdown will be too severe.

Funny, I was just thinking about this this morning: From a fan's perspective, what is a satisfactory end to this season?

If you were to tell me last May that Hernandez would be gone in an unspeakable manner and that Gronk, Mayo, Vereen, Vollmer, Kelly and Wilfork would miss significant parts of the season; that Amendola would be limited by health pretty much from the beginning (OK, no shock there); that Talib and Dennard would be hobbled for long stretches and the back of your D would count heavily on two rookies from Rutgers; and that all three rookie receivers on whom you were now counting would do OK but come up injured in the last quarter of the season — well, I'd tell you a) that all that could never happen in one season and b) say hello two 10 wins. At best.

Yet here they are, 12-4 with all four losses thisclose to the very end; they have a bye and are showing the character and traits of teams that win championships.

So yeah, they've exceeded any reasonable expectations. But where they are now I would be disappointed if they didn't at least make the AFCCG; that is my expectation. My hope is that they win the game after that, too, and at this point anything this team does wouldn't shock me.

I expect the Patriots to not win the Super Bowl. Even making the Super Bowl will exceed my expectations, because, to be blunt, they're just not an exceptionally talented team after all of their injuries. In a weird way it kinda makes the next few weeks easier. I still think that they can win it all, partly because any playoff team--especially with a bye--has a real shot, and also because of Brady and Belichick. But if they don't win it all, I don't think the letdown will be too severe.

I think you captured my feelings on this here, too. Last year I felt the team had the talent and ability to win Super Bowl (or at least I did until Talib got hurt in the 1st quarter in the AFCCG). Same with 2011, 2010, 2007, 2006, 2004, and 2003. Each of those teams had some flaws, but I felt they were as good or better than everyone else those years.

This year's team is winning through pure gumption, desire, and coaching. Oh, and Brady helps too, of course. But the talent level isn't there at this point, so I'm not expecting a victory this year. It would be totally awesome if they do win it, of course, but I won't be heartbroken or upset if they don't, as I was last year, 2011, 2010, 2007, and 2006. It would be akin to 2001 from a teamwork and talent perspective, although they certainly lack the sneaking-up-on-you and America-loves-an-underdog factor that they had then.

So I'm just assuming we're playing with house money now, and will be enjoying the ride. And hoping it's a long one.

Yes.

For whatever reason(s), I have long had difficulty in explaining my viewpoint that there is a genuine difference between goals and realistic expectations to many other fellow fans of the Patriots.

I can't help it.. i want a SB every year. This team has showed some serious character and i can easily see us reaching the SB. We beat the Broncos already and i think we should be favorites against every other team in the playoffs.

I very much share these feelings.

These playoffs feel very, very different.

Normally, I look around at the other teams and feel like the Patriots are more talented. And accordingly, I expect that their chances to win the title are higher than most of the other squads.

Honestly, we cannot say that is the case this year. You would be hard pressed to say we - with the vast majority of our best players from last year not on the roster at this point - are one of the more talented teams.

Had Gronk been healthy, it's an entirely different ballgame and I would easily call us the favorites in the AFC. He is a top player in the NFL, and losing one elite player makes that much a difference. Now, we are just another team.

But now, there's no pressure. No matter what happens to the Pats this postseason, this season was a success. It entertained me greatly, and these guys performed admirably under a lot of adversity.

Bottom line, the only way I walk away from this postseason horribly upset is if Peyton Manning reels off three great games and wins his second ring. There is nothing the Patriots can do to disappoint me. Whatever we get now is gravy.

I certainly share your feelings. With each win my wife has tried to mitigate my excitement with "well, it's not like they're going to win the Super Bowl so why are you getting so excited."

I'll say the same thing on this board that I've told her......

1.) Super Bowl or no Super Bowl, this has been one incredible season already worth celebrating.

2.) In recent years we have had teams that have been favored to win Super Bowls and yet somewhere lost to another team (sometimes less talented). Maybe, just maybe, this is the year where we are the less talented team that still finds a way to win.

I don't have any ironclad expectations, to be honest. It's the first year in some time that I have not. I wouldn't be surprised with a deep run because of the mediocrity of the AFC coupled with the fact that we match up well with the one seed. I also wouldn't be surprised with a one and done.

That said, while Lady Luck hasn't smiled on us with the injury front, the ball has seemed to bounce our way on the field more often than not this season. The clock will either strike midnight on that in the playoffs, or it will keep going. We all know how luck can play a part in winning a championship. During the Brady/Belichick era, the team has been on both ends.

Thee is no bigger fan and Patriots homer than I am. I'm proud of that.

I know that there are many fans here who have great expectations for this team going into the playoffs. I love this 2013 Patriots team and probably it ranks up there as one of my favorite Patriots teams.

Personally I feel much the same way about this year as I did the 2001 team. After 30 years of being a Patriots fan and having a trained mind set that building my hopes up will only lead to bitter disappointment, part of me did not want them to make it to the SB, only to be crushed by the Greatest Show on Turf. Having endured the one sided SB loss to the Bears, and the heart breaking loss to the Packers, and all that followed after those losses, I was gun shy. I wanted the next Patriots team to go to the SB to be the dominant favorite and win it, just once in my lifetime.

I still can't put together the words to describe my elation when they won that SB. The 2003,2004, and 2007 team were teams that I had high expectations of being SB Champions.

This year I'm amazed that this finished 12-4, and very happy with the guts and metal toughness this team has displayed all year. Given all the adversity they have had to overcome, it is something that all of us can be proud of that they earned the #2 seed.

I don't have any great playoff expectations for this team, this year. Whatever happens will not change the feelings that I have for this team. I have hopes and if those hopes come to be, I'll be almost as elated as I was in 2001. But I have no realistic expectations for this team, and I'm ready to enjoy the ride where ever the ride takes us.

Can't believe you were that negative. I was always optimistic until the end when I knew our coach would quit, or the refs would screw us, or our coach would quit (again)or our TE would break his leg and our gunshy QB would take a dive and we'd lose by 50 points.

But then, I'm an optimist.

I've mentioned i enjoyed our 2005 team as much as any, with Dillon pogoing on one leg and Hawkins, the 30th DB we tried, coming in and calming the waters. This team is an extension of that IMO. Zombies.

Hopes: High. Expectations: Low.

I would feel more confident with a healthy Dobson and Dennard because those guys bring another dimension to the offense and defense, but it doesn't look like either will be able to help.

Even if you think the Pats have a good chance win both AFC games (say 60% probability of each), that would still mean a 36% of making the SB. Not great, and, in my view, the probabilities are likely lower than that, especially if one of the games is @DEN.

Since the Giants won't be playing, anything is possible.

Realistically, a team with about two dozen rookies, un-drafted free agents, and practice squad players on the roster, have no business winning the Super Bowl.

If they do win it all, they can put BB in the Hall of Fame this year, why wait 'til he retires.

I've mentioned i enjoyed our 2005 team as much as any, with Dillon pogoing on one leg and Hawkins, the 30th DB we tried, coming in and calming the waters. This team is an extension of that IMO. Zombies.

What this team has that is different than the 2005 & 2009 squads - which were probably comparable in being average in talent amongst playoff teams - is a consistent track record of performing well under pressure and in two minute situations.

That is something this team has in common with the teams that went to the Super Bowl. If we can stay in games, I'll have hope we'll win. Even the games we ultimately lost (Carolina, NYJ, Miami), the offense drove the ball the length of the field in adverse situations.

I liked that team too and that playoff loss was as crushing as any I remember because I felt that the refs stole the game from them.

I really enjoy this topic and I want to say I'm right there with you with the whole "no matter how it ends" thing but….

OK, I don't expect the Superbowl. Certainly not with Gronk and all the other horrible injuries (but imagine if they were healthy, hoo boy). But I will be extremely disappointed with a one and done. That's just honesty. I wouldn't go jump off a bridge or anything but I'd be very disappointed because I honestly kind of think we are good enough to at least get to the AFCCG.

I'm just looking forward to the playoff games they are in. I am confident in the Patriots and that they can win against anyone. I have loved this team's chances starting last April and that hasn't changed, even with injury. I think wins will be a struggle to come by in January but I believe they can get the job done against all opponents.

Paralysis via analysis
As a fan I eschew detailed assessments of the team prior to the playoffs because often as not…They're Wrong. How many articles comparing teams down to the ball boy are written by experts pre-Super Bowl, with a huge number of them being wrong. Were analysis an effective means of even being right the majority of the time it would be a huge edge in wagering. It's not.
So I just enjoy the playoff ride right up to the Happy Ending or more often right up to the rude shock of coitus interruptus as my team is bumped out.
Like a famous ex-Patriot HC, now in the Tournament said "I'm jacked & pumped!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference