PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players you're rooting for to make it

Status
Not open for further replies.
30 players....What if 1/3 step it up??

I really think there are a ton of players one could root for to step up....Gutierrez at QB, Hairston and Hill at running back; Jackson, Childress, Kight, CJones at wideout; Nordin, Mills, Kranchick at tight end; Elgin, Hilliard, Oldenburg, Barthehelmes, Britt on the offensive line; LSmith, West, Thomas and Brown on the defensive line; Alexander, Woods, Mays, Lua, Rogers, Bissinger at linebacker; Spann, Richardson, Andrews, Baker, Anam in the defenisve backfield... That's 30 players...what if only 5 made moves and really stepped it up and showed something?? It would be a big boost for the team...and if there were more that showed some solid development??
I think all Patriot fans are looking hoping for linebackers of the future..hoping that a Woods..or Alexander may get into the rotation..that a Rogers or Lua show that they understand. This is why Training camp will be so interesting this year.

Any rookie besides Brandon Meriweather. The more rookies that

make the team, the better our draft looks. I'd like to see experts

like Scott Wright have to eat their words.

Re: 30 players....What if 1/3 step it up??

I really think there are a ton of players one could root for to step up....Gutierrez at QB, Hairston and Hill at running back; Jackson, Childress, Kight, CJones at wideout; Nordin, Mills, Kranchick at tight end; Elgin, Hilliard, Oldenburg, Barthehelmes, Britt on the offensive line; LSmith, West, Thomas and Brown on the defensive line; Alexander, Woods, Mays, Lua, Rogers, Bissinger at linebacker; Spann, Richardson, Andrews, Baker, Anam in the defenisve backfield... That's 30 players...what if only 5 made moves and really stepped it up and showed something?? It would be a big boost for the team...and if there were more that showed some solid development??
I think all Patriot fans are looking hoping for linebackers of the future..hoping that a Woods..or Alexander may get into the rotation..that a Rogers or Lua show that they understand. This is why Training camp will be so interesting this year.

Great points, Stan!

Two points that haven't been mentioned yet:
1. Think of the good vets
who'll have to go ... if more than just a few rookies make the 53.
That's another measure of the roster quality this year.
Who might they be?

2. Think of how good those rookies have to seem to BB
... if he "jet-tisons" ('cause Mangia will scrounge 'em, right?)
such proven vets as a price he's willing to pay to keep the kids.

Tom Brady is my pick to root for to make the teams roster again.

I hope the kid makes it,The QB competition is fierce and its vitually a tossup between Brady,Cassell,Guiterrez and maybe Testeverde if he comes back.

Its too close to call ,I'm keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Last edited:
Let me put it this way, Chad Jackson would be a suprise cut. Therefore, I doubt the Pats will cut Jackson because of what he showed when on the field. At worst, he will end up on the P.U.P. just to make sure he is fully healed. As much as I would like Jackson to be on the field, there is no need to rush him on the field with the additions of Moss, Stallworth, Welker and even Washington.

Last edited:
I agree completely. I'd love for both LB's to make it, I already am a Lua fan, he seems to have such personality. Would rather have Gaffney make it, but I think both make it and Washington is the odd man out, though I am hoping Washington makes it. I rather have Mills over Hill, I have a good feeling about Mills.

Reviews from passing camp and mini-camp have been positive for Garrett Mills. :)

Last edited:
Let me put it this way, Chad Jackson would be a suprise cut. Therefore, I doubt the Pats will cut Jackson because of what he showed when on the field. At worst, he will end up on the P.U.P. just to make sure he is fully healed. As much as I would like Jackson to be on the field, there is no need to rush him on the field with the additions of Moss, Stallworth, Welker and even Washington.

Theres no chance in hell CJ is cut,You have a better chance of seeing the Cincinnati Reds face the Texas Rangers in the World Series this year than for Chad to be cut although he was a waste in his first season injured or not.

The Pats have two or maybe three positions up for grabs on the LB crew. TBC and Don Davis are gone. Larry Izzo is 33.

Adalius Thomas repaces one of the openings. Are than any others who can take the position (s)? I think not. Justin Rodgers is beginnig a a two or three year post graduate OLB football education.
Learning ILB is a lot less difficult for a LB, as he does not need to learn a new position. An opportunity for Lua is there, but I don't think he has the athleticism to succeed.

Instead I think the Pats keep the position for a ST DB. Andrews makes it and then maybe Spann. The ST needs gunners, and both fill the role that Jerod Cherry usd to do. Maybe better than Larry Izzo used to do.

I think they drafted developmental Offensive linemen to restock Scar's school. None are ready this year but wait three years. neiuther are ther positions available. So there are a few PS positions, for O linemen; ditto for Justin Rodgers at LB. Gutierez has all the look of a very good third string, PS developmental QB. So these fill some other PS slots. Spann or others might bounce back and forth. Others might be Mills, Lua and a RB. And if Baugher doesn't beat out Josh thie year he probably will next, so therer might be another slot.

Tom Brady is my pick to root for to make the teams roster again.

I hope the kid makes it,The QB competition is fierce and its vitually a tossup between Brady,Cassell,Guiterrez and maybe Testeverde if he comes back.

Its too close to call ,I'm keeping my fingers crossed ;)

That was my call on offense also. On defense I'm thinking that Seymour kids got a shot. I could see him working his way into the rotation with Warren, Green, Wilfork and the rest of the DL.

Offense: Chad Jackson..if hes not gonna be healthy then Childress(hopefully push a WR or 2 off the roster)

Defense: Baker. He was hitting Moss in non contact practices..he was a ballhawk and he impressed during passing/minicamp. I hope he makes it as 1 of our safeties.

That was my call on offense also. On defense I'm thinking that Seymour kids got a shot. I could see him working his way into the rotation with Warren, Green, Wilfork and the rest of the DL.

There is NO WAY Richard Seymour makes this team. ;)

Too bad he doesn't play defense. Then we could call him Wham-Bam.

Oh, I just noticed. Welcome.

nfl.com says he has played 4 snaps on defense in 2005. Here is the link: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/557238

Thanks for the welcome. I have been reading this board for several months now and I like it a lot better than other pats boards because of active troll-patrol.

Of the new guys - Lua, Oldenburg... Welker, Stallworth, AD and Moss :) (though those guys are safe bets, they are new aren't they?)
I think Thomas and Mills will pleasantly surprise.
I think that Watson will have an even better year than last year.
I think that Bam Childress again ends up being cut to the practice squad. (Poor guy, he just has no luck!)

Re: 30 players....What if 1/3 step it up??

Great points, Stan!

Two points that haven't been mentioned yet:
1. Think of the good vets
who'll have to go ... if more than just a few rookies make the 53.
That's another measure of the roster quality this year.
Who might they be?

2. Think of how good those rookies have to seem to BB
... if he "jet-tisons" ('cause Mangia will scrounge 'em, right?)
such proven vets as a price he's willing to pay to keep the kids.
Thanks...what is great is that there is a groundswell of young players competing and learning that will push all the vets...players in the pipeline is always a good thing and this year there are MANY...a really good thing for a solid club. I think these players are stronger than in other years..What this means is that in there will be a logjam on the PSqd, some players may be picked up by other teams and that some may become more part of a shadow roster...more depth. The real impact of these players, whether it is a mere 5 or 10-15 or so will take place in future years. Some may not make it, of course, but potential is there for some. The real trick is to select the players that show a lot and will fit into backup roles in teh coming years. The need for young linebackers..etc.

Corey Mays, oscar Lua.

LeKevin Smith.

Even though he's a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes