PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players have too much control

Slightly OT, but also in the realm of sports and just playing fields, the fact that the league has no black owners is as ****ed up as it gets. And imo part of the reason is a fear that players would flock to black owned teams if there were any. Some black billionaires need to start putting in bids for the franchises, because 32 white owned teams in a league dominated by black athletes is really screwed up.

That could be, but the way the schools were printing money off of the athletes was as perverse as it gets. If someone is selling jerseys with your name on it you should be getting a part of the cut.
I don't disagree, but then it's hard for an old-school guy like Belichick to **** on them when they show up with their fat bankrolls and entitled attitude.

let him sit out a year. wgaf? more players might do it now that they get paid in college.
I doubt it is something we start seeing. Taking a year off between college and the pros just isn't a good idea, even if you have some NIL money stashed away.

EDIT: We may quite likely see players stay in college an extra year, but I do not think we will see players get drafted and skip an entire season because they don't want to go where they were drafted.

Last edited:
Slightly OT, but also in the realm of sports and just playing fields, the fact that the league has no black owners is as ****ed up as it gets. And imo part of the reason is a fear that players would flock to black owned teams if there were any. Some black billionaires need to start putting in bids for the franchises, because 32 white owned teams in a league dominated by black athletes is really screwed up.
have any black people tried to band together to get a team and been kept out? where are you getting that there is fear of this nature?

I doubt it is something we start seeing. Taking a year off between college and the pros just isn't a good idea, even if you have some NIL money stashed away.
conventional wisdom also used to frown on
opting out of bowl games,the Combine,etc. and plenty of guys do that now.

conventional wisdom also used to frown on
opting out of bowl games,the Combine,etc. and plenty of guys do that now.
You cannot honestly be comparing a player skipping one single game (usually for health reasons) and a player skipping an entire season....

I’m curious. For the ones that are debating in favor of what Sanders said. What is your alternative? Is it to do away with the draft and each team recruits players out of college just like colleges recruit players out of high school?
Yes. They are independent contractors and shouldn't be subjected to being forced into going to a Franchise that they don't want to go to. The average career is like 4 years. You pretty much have one shot to make it. We've seen many careers ruined by going to bad situations.

Put yourself in their shoes. What if you were forced to being employed by a company you didn't want to go to or put you in a position you feel you wouldn't do well?

Why shouldn't they have some control ... stuck with a slacker team 4 years.
I have no problem with this ... happens in the baseball and hockey draft each year.
NFL players have little control when young ... even after except for the best .... team payrolls are all mostly top heavy.

The stars playing for big market teams make the NFL much money ... this is not bad for the league it actually helps ...
They are raking it in. Weak smaller market teams need to step up ... the talk of parity is crap.
some teams are happy to make the guaranteed money each year ... courtesy of the big market teams.

Kraft has been in this category ... lousy team facilities ... gym ... assistance for players children ... and more.
He cares more about his largest video screen and big **** lighthouse. ... also squeezed away cheaper seats.
Teams need to market themselves and gauge whether a player wants to play for them ... step the **** up.
This is how it goes in hockey and baseball .. if team is not happy trade down except baseball .. not allowed

Last edited:
You cannot honestly be comparing a player skipping one single game (usually for health reasons) and a player skipping an entire season....
i honestly don't care what they do. get rid of the draft,salary cap,everything.

EDIT: We may quite likely see players stay in college an extra year, but I do not think we will see players get drafted and skip an entire season because they don't want to go where they were drafted.
A year off didn’t exactly hurt Ja’Marr Chase or Micah Parsons.

A year off didn’t exactly hurt Ja’Marr Chase or Micah Parsons.
They weren't NFL eligible when they opted out, they were still in college. And should I list the 100 other players who opted out and then were never heard from again? I can if you want. That aside...

If a once per century worldwide pandemic strikes again which shuts down all of society and we literally enter August without even knowing if there is even going to be football, then sure. Go ahead and opt out. In the meantime, good luck finding someone getting drafted and sitting out a year turning out to be a good idea.

For all the bluster we have seen throughout the years, when was the last time someone actually did that? Bo Jackson?

The NFL has no one to blame but itself. It changed the rules to provide for more scoring and it promotes “superstars.” It should come as no surprise that the most talented players entering the league want to go where they can succeed and be paid the most. Can you really blame them?

The NFL has no one to blame but itself. It changed the rules to provide for more scoring and it promotes “superstars.” It should come as no surprise that the most talented players entering the league want to go where they can succeed and be paid the most. Can you really blame them?
i don't "blame" them per se but this whole model is unsustainable as is imo.

1711722960832.png

Just because management and labor agree to something in a CBA doesn't mean it is 100% immune from being overturned by a court of law. Don't get me wrong, overturning a clause in a CBA is a longshot.... but it does, on occasion, happen.

This isn't exactly your typical management-labor situation here. In this case, "management" is a group of 32 businesses who claim to be completely separate businesses when it suits them and then will turn around and claim to be 32 equal partners when it suits them.

There's the Union which literally tells every player to negotiate their own deal. This is unlike every other Union where everyone makes the same amount of money (based on seniority, time in position, etc).

Then there are the players entering the draft. They're not in the Union yet, but are still constrained by the CBA, which makes little sense. What makes even less sense, especially from a legal standpoint, is that there is no one in the Union who represents their interests. Quite the contrary, in fact. Every time a new CBA comes up, the current crop of players are all too eager to throw the next generation under the bus because no one can stop them.

IMHO, and after staying at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I believe if a lawyer ever tried to argue in court to overturn the draft, that's the tact they should take. The draftees should not be constrained by a CBA where not only were they were not represented in the negotiations, but the people doing the negotiating actively gained by taking away from them.
Usually I'd all in on the side of player movement, BUT not in this case. Now none of us would have liked to have graduated college and been forced to go with the company, or in my case, school system, that dictated the choice of where. But here's the thing. The player, IS choosing. They WANT to play in the NFL. THAT's the choice. If you want to play in the NFL you tacitly agree to the rules of player dispersement of that organization. Just like if you were hired by google and the job they wanted you to do was in a place you didn't want to go, you have the choice taking the job or not.

That being said, the REAL factor here is the NIL money. I didn't realize just how big it could get. I had thought it was in the thousands, but I guess its in the Millions for the very few, so they could afford to sit out a year, I'd be fine if they did that, but being out of football for a year isn't exactly going to boost a kids draft stock.

The best thing for the NFL to do is just stick to their guns. It is NOT a restraint on trade, though I'm sure someone will test that. NIL money will dry up quickly when they sit a year or two. Maybe the UFL will be an option..

If I were Dion, I would want my son to go to the best city with the best team too, I have no problem with his hopes, but it doesn't work that way.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back