PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players have too much control

Losing a top pick happens fairly often in the NYFL. N'Keal Harry is just one example but there have been plenty of others. I don't see the big deal if someone drafts Sanders, or any other player, and he doesn't play for them.

Losing a top pick happens fairly often in the NYFL. N'Keal Harry is just one example but there have been plenty of others. I don't see the big deal if someone drafts Sanders, or any other player, and he doesn't play for them.
But the difference is that a team prospectively does not intend to lose a first rounder. They retrospectively bust all the time. The opportunity cost of lighting a pick on fire is the balance of success+bust rate - cap costs of not using that pick at the moment of the decision

If they were going to pay me millions of dollars to play a game. Sign me up!
That's one of those things that is easy to say on an internet forum when none of this impacts you.

Something tells me you would not be so cheerful if team A offered you $850k per year and team B would gladly pay you 3 times that amount, but you are forced to work for team A for the next 4 years.

Last edited:
If they were going to pay me millions of dollars to play a game. Sign me up!
You're assuming you will be a high draft pick and/or succeed in the NFL. Most guys don't make it in the NFL.

What happens if Sanders sits out the year and is then re-drafted the next year by a team not of his choice?

A really bad tantrum, maybe even including some breath holding and foot stomping would be my guess, it might even progress to slammed doors

What happens if Sanders sits out the year and is then re-drafted the next year by a team not of his choice?
He becomes a FA. However, they get paid like an undrafted FA, which is why we haven't seen this happen yet.

All I'll say is that whoever drafts Shadeur also gets Deion as the peanut gallery.

That's one of those things that is easy to say on an internet forum when none of this impacts you.

Something tells me you would not be so cheerful if team A offered you $850k per year and team B would gladly pay you 3 times that amount, but you are forced to work for team A for the next 4 years.
Well since there is a pay scale for first round picks I’m not sure a team picking later could pay me three times as much money.

Again I ask the question. What is everyone’s solution? Is it to do away with the draft and have NFL teams recruit players coming out of college like colleges do with high school players.

Well since there is a pay scale for first round picks I’m not sure a team picking later could pay me three times as much money.
That's the point I was making. There is a pay scale for all draft picks which artificially restricts their salaries and, of course, the draft itself artificially restricts their employer. If it weren't for the pay scale, rookies would make far more money (like they did before the pay scale was implemented).
Again I ask the question. What is everyone’s solution? Is it to do away with the draft and have NFL teams recruit players coming out of college like colleges do with high school players.
Well, the term most people use when discussing the pros is "free agency", which is quite a bit different than colleges recruiting high school players, but if that's the comparison you want to make, have at it.

Using your analogy, there's still the league-wide salary cap to contend with so no one single team would be able to "recruit" all the 5-stars.

Could be. But I thought the courts have already ruled that those 32 "individual companies " can act as a single entity as it pertains to collective bargaining. Giving the NFL the right to act as a monopoly albeit in a very narrow view.

The NFL was given protection from anti-trust laws back in the 60’70’s, but my understanding was that other than local blackouts for reasons of ticket sales, their games were supposed to be broadcast over open air. However I’m sure they just bought the workarounds in Congress so everyone has to pay for games over the last 25 years or so.

This has been addressed- you keep things as they are. This happens in baseball and hockey regularly when you draft a HS player: they will have options other than going to your team. Thus, part of your decision to draft someone in those sports is that you must factor in the likelihood of you signing them. It used to be an NFL issue before the sliding payscale- how much do they want. Part of why Houston selected Mario Williams over Vince Young and Reggie Bush was contract. If someone really doesn’t want to play for you, it is not in your best interest to sign them. It really isn’t that complicated.

That's the point I was making. There is a pay scale for all draft picks which artificially restricts their salaries and, of course, the draft itself artificially restricts their employer. If it weren't for the pay scale, rookies would make far more money (like they did before the pay scale was implemented).

Well, the term most people use when discussing the pros is "free agency", which is quite a bit different than colleges recruiting high school players, but if that's the comparison you want to make, have at it.

Using your analogy, there's still the league-wide salary cap to contend with so no one single team would be able to "recruit" all the 5-stars.
I know what free agency is. I was just asking people what they think the alternative should be instead of the draft the way it is now.

Last edited:
This has been addressed- you keep things as they are. This happens in baseball and hockey regularly when you draft a HS player: they will have options other than going to your team. Thus, part of your decision to draft someone in those sports is that you must factor in the likelihood of you signing them. It used to be an NFL issue before the sliding payscale- how much do they want. Part of why Houston selected Mario Williams over Vince Young and Reggie Bush was contract. If someone really doesn’t want to play for you, it is not in your best interest to sign them. It really isn’t that complicated.
I agree with keep things as they are.

EXACTLY as it should be.
They always have ans always will.. the NFL owners are an elite group of billionaires that will never let anyone in.. even a nut job like tepper he won't be a long time owner.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back