PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Play-Off Seeds and projections for AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are aware the Chiefs are 7-0 at home right?

Lets be honest, no one is afraid of the Chiefs. Wins at home were against SD, SF, JAC, BUF, AZ, DEN, TEN. It's scary weak.
Their schedule is just so bad it ain't even funny.

You guys are aware the Chiefs are 7-0 at home right?

So that would mean the Chiefs have a losing record on the road, and they would be playing in Foxboro.. therefore favoring us?

Last edited:
#1: Patriots (13-2)

#2: Steelers (11-4) or Ravens (11-4)
- If Steelers win, then Steelers are #2
- If Ravens lose, then Steelers are #2
- If both Steelers lose, and Ravens win, then Ravens are #2

#3: Chiefs (10-5) or Colts (9-6)
- If Chiefs win, Chiefs are #3
- If Colts lose, Chiefs are #3
- If both Chiefs lose, and Colts win, then Colts are #3

#4: Chiefs (10-5), Colts (9-6), or Jaguars (8-7)
- If both Chiefs lose, and Colts win, then Chiefs are #4
- If Jags win, and Colts lose, then Jags are #4

#5: Ravens (if they don't win AFCN)
- Steelers (if they don't win AFCN), plus the Jets lose
- Jets (with a win, plus the Steelers lose, plus the Ravens win)

#6: Jets (if they lose, or Steelers win, or Ravens lose)
- Steelers (if they lose, plus Ravens win, plus Jets win)

Jacksonville cannot be a wild card; they can only make the playoffs by winning the division. The only way the Jaguars can make the playoffs is if they beat Houston, and the Colts also lose to Tennessee.

#1: Patriots (13-2)

#2: Steelers (11-4) or Ravens (11-4)
- If Steelers win, then Steelers are #2
- If Ravens lose, then Steelers are #2
- If both Steelers lose, and Ravens win, then Ravens are #2

#3: Chiefs (10-5) or Colts (9-6)
- If Chiefs win, Chiefs are #3
- If Colts lose, Chiefs are #3
- If both Chiefs lose, and Colts win, then Colts are #3

#4: Chiefs (10-5), Colts (9-6), or Jaguars (8-7)
- If both Chiefs lose, and Colts win, then Chiefs are #4
- If Jags win, and Colts lose, then Jags are #4

Jacksonville cannot be a wild card; they can only make the playoffs by winning the division. The only way the Jaguars can make the playoffs is if they beat Houston, and the Colts also lose to Tennessee.

Read on the Jets board that they are not locked into the 6th seed, yet I don't see them anywhere but 6th in your scenarios.

Read on the Jets board that they are not locked into the 6th seed, yet I don't see them anywhere but 6th in your scenarios.

Re-reading that there is a lot of verbage in there, I should have made it clearer.

Just went back onto Gang Green.They claim that if Cleveland beats Pittsburg and Ravens beat Cincy then Jets are 5th seed. Don't know if it's true but that's what they claim.

Re-reading that there is a lot of verbage in there, I should have made it clearer.

Sorry just noticed that when I reread it. I want the Pats to play the Jets so bad in the divisional round, I must be unable to see the Jets as anything but the 6th seed.

Sorry just noticed that when I reread it. I want the Pats to play the Jets so bad in the divisional round, I must be unable to see the Jets as anything but the 6th seed.
No problem, there is definitely a certain amount of joy seeing the Jets as low as possible.

Look at it this way: you're going to flip a coin three times.
One coin flip is the Steelers-Browns
One coin flip is the Ravens-Bengals
One coin flip is the Jets-Bills.

There are eight different possible combinations of what happens with those flips of the coin, and only one combination results in the Jets being #5; if I was a betting man then I would go with them being the #6 seed.

But hey, if they want to pat themselves on the back for being #5 before it happens, I say go for it. The same concept worked pretty well with their idea of being the #1 team in the NFL this past July and August.

Just went back onto Gang Green.They claim that if Cleveland beats Pittsburg and Ravens beat Cincy then Jets are 5th seed. Don't know if it's true but that's what they claim.

Correct. If the Jets win plus Baltimore wins the Norris(sic) division, this will give the Jets the 5th seed (Jets beat Pitt last week - they own the tie break).

- The Jets cannot overtake the Ravens.
- Cleveland is scoring on average 11.25 points a game over the last month (17 is their highest point total) against mostly bad/mediocre defenses save Balt. Pitt wins this game.
- The only difference between the 5th and 6th seed for the Jets is the WC round in Indy or KC (which is probably a toss up). After that,likely, it is at NE then at the next best team in the AFC or vice versa......meaning do they prefer a beating before their walloping or do they prefer to get their walloping asap?

Last edited:
Not seeing too many of these scenarios as likely. I think the only seeding up for grabs is the AFC South, and that is only because the Colts haven't mathematically sealed it yet. They will do so next week.

So that would mean the Chiefs have a losing record on the road, and they would be playing in Foxboro.. therefore favoring us?

LOL. Good one.
Personally, at this point, not just KC but Pitt-Balt-Jets in NE do not worry me if the Patriots play their game (no turnovers and not giving up the big play). All 4 of those teams have struggled to win consistently over opposition inferior to the Patriots. The Patriots playing mistake free ball beats the A game of those teams (IMHO). Indy is the team that worries me. Yes, Indy has struggled consistently, however, Manning is the one QB that, if on his A game, can roll up a lot of points against anyone. Further, I worry about the penalty calls when Indy is our opponent.

Lets be honest, no one is afraid of the Chiefs. Wins at home were against SD, SF, JAC, BUF, AZ, DEN, TEN. It's scary weak.
Their schedule is just so bad it ain't even funny.
They can pass the ball and they have a formidable rushing attack. Discount the Chiefs at your peril.

It was more a comment about them being knocked out by Baltimore at home if the match up works out that way. I'm not so sure they would to be honest.

Last edited:
Not into looking at matchups. Who ever it is Pats will prepared for them and I'll be confident that Pats will get it done.

AFC playoff seeds are fairly set in comparison to the NFC.

Atlanta (12-2): vs Saints, vs Panthers
Has clinched a playoff spot
Could be a #1, #2, #3, or #5 seed
Clinches NFCS with either a win, or a Saints loss
Clinches #1 seed with a win

Chicago (11-4): at Packers
Has clinched NFCN
Could be a #1, #2, or #3 seed
Clinches #2 seed and bye with a win

Philadelphia (10-4): vs Vikings, vs Cowboys
Has clinched NFCE
Could be a #1, #2, or #3 seed
Needs help to get a bye

New Orleans (10-4): at Falcons, vs Bucs
Could be anything except a #4 seed
Clinches playoff spot with a win
Clinches playoff spot with both a Giants loss, plus a Packers loss
Clinches NFCS with both two wins, plus two losses by Falcons

Green Bay (9-6): vs Bears
Can only be a wild card, either #5 or #6
Clinches playoff spot with a win
Clinches playoff spot with both a Giants loss, plus a Bucs loss

New York (9-6): at Redskins
Clinches playoff spot with both a win, plus a Packers loss
Clinches playoff spot with both a win, plus Saints lose twice

Tampa Bay (9-6): at New Orleans
Clinches playoff spot with a win, plus Saints lose to Atlanta, plus Giants lose
Clinches playoff spot with a win, plus Saints lose to Atlanta, plus Packers lose
Clinches playoff spot with a win, plus Giants lose, plus Packers lose

St. Louis (7-8) at Seattle (6-9)
Winner clinches NFCW and #4 seed

I'm going to go ahead and post my fearless predictions on the next couple of weeks. Not going to get into what happens in the divisional round and beyond yet. Just my gut feeling of what will happen, I'm certain it won't be what alot of others will predict.

AFC week 17:
Steelers hold onto the 2 seed and Baltimore also wins, getting the 5 seed. Chiefs and Colts win to finish 3 and 4 respectively. That sets up -

AFC Wild card round:
6) Jets upset 3) Chiefs :(
4) Indy squeeze one out over 5) Baltimore, another suprise pick here I just think Manning has Balti's #. This will set up:

AFC Divisional round:
Jets @ Patriots
Indy @ Pittsburgh

NFC week 16-17:
Atlanta wraps up the #1 seed. Saints get in as the 5. Eagles win out and Green Bay defeats Chicago to give Eagles the 2 seed and Packers the 6, setting up:

NFC wild card:
6) Packers defeat 3) Bears for the 2nd week in a row
5) Saints kill whatever loser team that wins the NFC west (not even going to waste time picking a 'winner' for that division) to set up:

NFC Divisional round:
Packers @ Falcons
Saints @ Eagles

Last edited:
NFL.com's "playoff picture" pretty clearly breaks it down if you click on the tabs for each team.

Based on the wk 17 games, I don't think any of the teams will change. However, I would be shocked to see the seeding changed. Particularly KC swapping with Indy.

NFL.com news: Playoff Picture 2010

They can pass the ball and they have a formidable rushing attack. Discount the Chiefs at your peril.

Again, look at their schedule. Every offense would look good against weak defenses like the ones they faced. Their defense is average at best. They have no experience in the playoffs, Matt Cassel never proved anything to anyone, they are the worst team in the AFC playoffs, period.

Last edited:
Coaching/Front Office
Anthony Pleasant *2x Pats SB Champ*
Charlie Weis *3x Pats SB Champ*
Otis Smith *2x Pats SB Champ*
Romeo Crennel *3x Pats SB Champ*
Scott Pioli *3x Pats SB Champ*

Players
Corey Mays
Matt Cassel
Mike Vrabel *3x Pats SB Champ*
Ryan O'Callaghan

My god the Chiefs are filled with former Pats.

troy brown on weei said today that he would be worried about the chiefs because of all the coordinators and knowledge of the pats and BB like the cleveland game.

Again, look at their schedule. Every offense would look good against weak defenses like the ones they faced. Their defense is average at best. They have no experience in the playoffs, Matt Cassel never proved anything to anyone, they are the worst team in the AFC playoffs, period.

i still hope they beat the jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes