PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Play-Off Seeds and projections for AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather play the Jets, Ravens, or Colts than the Chiefs. The Chiefs are another Giants of '07 with the David vs. Goliath story, not to mention our two former coordinators (anyone see what Mangini did to us?), our former quarterback, our former pro bowl linebacker, and a bunch of speedsters that could present big matchup problems for our defense.

At least with the Jets/Ravens/Colts, you are getting familiarity.
Chiefs are 3-5 on the road in a poor division

always take the team with the better QB in the playoffs so the only team the pats do not not want to see but probably will is the colts. yesterday's jags loss was not a good result for the pats.
Patriots will kill the Colts in Foxboro in January.

AFC

Patriots (12-2) - clinched playoff spot
at Bills, vs Dolphins
Clinch AFCE, #1 seed, & 1st round bye with either a win, or a loss by Jets
AFCE winner (Pats or Jets) will have a 1st round bye

Steelers (10-4) - clinched playoff spot
vs Panthers, at Browns
Clinch AFCN & bye with two wins, or a win & a Ravens loss

Ravens (10-4)
at Browns, vs Bengals
Clinch playoff spot with a win
Loses tiebreaker to Steelers

Jets (10-4)
at Bears, vs Bills
Clinch a playoff spot with a win, or a Jaguars loss, or a Colts loss

Chiefs (9-5)
vs Titans, vs Raiders
Clinch AFCW with a win and a SD loss
Lose tiebreaker for bye to the Steelers
Cannot be a wildcard team

Chargers (8-6)
At Bengals, at Broncos
Eliminated with both a loss & a Chiefs win

Raiders (7-7)
vs Colts, at Chiefs
Eliminated with either a loss, or a Chiefs win
Cannot get a wildcard spot

Colts (8-6)
at Raiders, vs Titans
Colts win common opponents tiebreaker over Jags
There is a 19-game scenario where the Colts can still get the #2 seed

Jaguars (8-6)
vs Redskins, at Texans
Must win one more game than Colts to win AFCS, or beat Texans while Colts lose to Titans in order to win a tiebreaker (division record)

Titans (6-8)
at Chiefs, at Colts
Must go 2-0 while Colts and Jags both go 0-2. If that happens Titans win AFCS based on common opponents.
Cannot get a wildcard spot

Dolphins, Bills, Texans, Browns, Bengals and Broncos are eliminated.
And any of the 9 could be our first playoff opponent.

Well, the road to the SB is never easy, but at least it's (most likely) coming through our house this year.

I never want to play Peyton Manning, simply because if he gets in his groove with one or two decent receivers, he can take any team down any field any time anywhere when he has to.

Then, I don't want to play the Chiefs. They are too well-coached by a couple of guys who know Belichick's mind better than any other two guys out there.

After that, the Jets, Steelers and Ravens all present their own challenges and each will have their own motivation (Jets, 45--3 and years of frustration; Ravens, the beat down in Baltimore this year; Steelers, aware that the road to two of the Pats' Lombardi's came through Heinz Field and that THEY could have been the "dynasty").

Bottom Line: if we get to Dallas, we'll have earned the trip.

Last edited:
I never want to play Peyton Manning, simply because if he gets in his groove with one or two decent receivers, he can take any team down any field any time anywhere when he has to.

Exactly why I don't understand people saying that don't fear playing the Colts. I don't care how cold it is, Manning can play and will play when he has too. Home field advantage doesnt mean squat, we got a proof of that last year. Playoffs teams play harder and play better. Its a totally different season and anything can happen to change the outcome so I want the easiest route to playoffs and that doesn't include playing Colts or Chargers for me.

This is a payback year. Let's take 'em 1-2-3: Beat KC and Matt, Beat Baltimore and excize that demon and then demolish the NY Football Giants!

1. Patriots
2. Steelers
3. Chiefs
4. Colts
5. Ravens
6. Jets

Jets @ Chiefs
Ravens @ Colts

Most likely.

1. Patriots
2. Steelers
3. Chiefs
4. Colts
5. Ravens
6. Jets

Jets @ Chiefs
Ravens @ Colts

Most likely.

If that happens, the Pats likely host the Ravens in the division round with KC going to the Steelers.

so no matter whats happens, we are bound to pay the Jets, Colts, or Ravens, there no chance of us playing the Cheifs, until AFC Championship

I want to see the Patriots destroy the Jets one more time and then to beat the Colts in another round of Brady vs. Manning in the AFC title game. I don't want to see Steelers or Ravens advance... they kinda scare me

Of the four teams in the first round, the Ravens scare me the most. I will cringe,cry, curl up into a ball if they get eliminated by Baltimore two years in a row at Foxboro.

From a STORY-LINE perspective, I want to face the Colts and the Steelers. Why? It even further enhances Brady's legacy. (Not that ANY playoff run wouldn't, but those two are always extra special)

No two teams are more "part" of the whole Patriots story than the Steelers and Colts. I'd love for Brady to get another head-to-head win (playoff one, at that) against Manning and then get ANOTHER win against the second best team of the decade, the Steelers and their great defense.

Right now, MANNING has the last head-to-head playoff win, the last MVP and the last SB win. I want Brady to take back all three this season.

From a "make it easy" standpoint? Jets then Chiefs, please.

Last edited:
From a STORY-LINE perspective, I want to face the Colts and the Steelers. Why? It even further enhances Brady's legacy. (Not that ANY playoff run wouldn't, but those two are always extra special)

No two teams are more "part" of the whole Patriots story than the Steelers and Colts. I'd love for Brady to get another head-to-head win (playoff one, at that) against Manning and then get ANOTHER win against the second best team of the decade, the Steelers and their great defense.

From a "make it easy" standpoint? Jets then Chiefs, please.

eASY IS GOOD.

Wtf sb4 no matter who or what.....i don't care

1. Patriots
2. Steelers
3. Chiefs
4. Colts
5. Ravens
6. Jets

Jets @ Chiefs
Ravens @ Colts

Most likely.

Going to agree on this one. Jets and Ravens already have wild card locked up right? I knew the last two teams were coming out of the East and North. Unfortunately for San Diego, Matt Cassel cannot regrow his appendix and get hospitalized from it again, so the Chiefs will be in there.

Interesting that the divisional round could very well be two games between division opponents. Although it would be a lot more entertaining if the Jets and Ravens lost to Brady Nemesis (Manning) and Brady Disciple (Cassel) in the wild card. :singing:

I want the Jets and the Ravens so NE can shut up the loudmouths.

I want no part of the Ravens. I guess i would take the colts.. dont want to see the jets, not that they scare me, just dont want to face them again...

I want the Jets and the Ravens so NE can shut up the loudmouths.

The Jets were shut up a few weeks ago. Getting to play BOTH of those teams in the playoffs would mean both the Colts and Steelers would have to lose to either of them. Indy perhaps due to the health of the team, but I can't imagine the Steelers losing to one of them twice in such a short span of time. Especially if Polamalu is capable of at least walking onto the field.

I like Steelers vs. Pats in the Razor for the AFC title game. I just don't know exactly who will play who for the divisional games - the Chiefs could surprise either the Jets or Ravens if Urban Sombrero or Flacco don't play well.

The Jets were shut up a few weeks ago. Getting to play BOTH of those teams in the playoffs would mean both the Colts and Steelers would have to lose to either of them. Indy perhaps due to the health of the team, but I can't imagine the Steelers losing to one of them twice in such a short span of time. Especially if Polamalu is capable of at least walking onto the field.

I like Steelers vs. Pats in the Razor for the AFC title game. I just don't know exactly who will play who for the divisional games - the Chiefs could surprise either the Jets or Ravens if Urban Sombrero or Flacco don't play well.

Why do people keep pointing this out to me? Yeah, the road teams will have to win, ok yeah I get it. The Jets could easily beat a young Chiefs team, and Ravens/Colts is a tossup dependent on how Manning plays. And Baltimore already went into Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers once this year.

Besides, Jets/Pats and Ravens/Steelers in one weekend? The NFL will probably try and push it in that direction anyway, those rivalries are huge ratings grabbers.

Not sure, but I don't think the Chief's beating the Jets in KC would be a huge upset, I think the Chief's would be favored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes