PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Piece from Sports Esquires on what happens if Berman vacates

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just YET ANOTHER case of people moving the goal posts. First they said that Brady would never go to court because he has too much to hide, then it was he has no chance to win because of the CBA, now it's he might win but he'll get in trouble during appeals.

Brady is getting closer and closer to winning all this and people just can't take it, they must believe that he'll fail somehow.

Not bad either.

I prefer the neutral arbitration possibility. Revisit the evidence and cross examine Pash etc.... Gives Brady a chance to overturn the "guilty" verdict.

Edit: Typing what you are thinking does not always happen in my world. :)

My head is spinning with all these scenarios ... great breakdown of the scenarios ... nice job by them.

tumblr_mt1mpxrnUh1shliigo1_500.gif

This is just YET ANOTHER case of people moving the goal posts. First they said that Brady would never go to court because he has too much to hide, then it was he has no chance to win because of the CBA, now it's he might win but he'll get in trouble during appeals.

Brady is getting closer and closer to winning all this and people just can't take it, they must believe that he'll fail somehow.

Sorry but I'm not sure why you feel the need to assign bias and motive to what appears to be a simple attempt to determine likely outcomes based on the way the laws involved work.

"If Tom Brady eats poison he will die."

OMG SUCH BIAS NYFL FLSDFJ;

Grasping at straws. When the initial appeal started, a big deal was made out of how it could go two ways:

1) The entire case is reconsidered. This is essentially retrying the case, there's no deference to the original ruling.

2) Determining if Goodell's ruling was defensible. In this case the conclusion itself is not retried, and therefore no new information is introduced.
The only way a suspension could be supported is by mixing and matching the two: introducing new facts and a new standard of awareness that wasn't present anywhere in the Wells Report, and then simultaneously assigning a ton of deference to Goodell's original decision.

But assuming Berman rules in Brady's favor, the second appeal would presumably follow the same rules. In case 1, there's no deference to Goodell's original decision required. In case 2, the arbitrator would have to rule whether Goodell was correct to suspend Brady for four games based on the contents of the Wells Report.

And since Berman's ruling in Brady's favor would hopefully eviscerate the "general awareness" standard, as well as the lack of notice that Brady could be punished for either "general awareness" or "lack of cooperation, a neutral arbitrator would pretty much have to overturn Goodell's initial decision.

In short: assuming we get the ruling we want from Berman, this won't be as simple as rubber-stamping the same punishment all over again for the NFL. There will be hurdles in getting from the Wells Report to a four game suspension that no truly neutral arbitrator can overcome.

I have never once used the term NYFL because I think its stupid as all hell.

After reading the article I had the following exchange with the author:

RichC ‏@rlcarr now
@SportsEsqBlog So whatever arbitrator reviews Goodell-as-Commissioner's punishment has to be very deferential to that punishment?
Andrew Sensi ‏@AndrewSensi 7m7 minutes ago
@rlcarr Pretty much. A lot of deference on appeal, whether court or arbitrator. Hence the cautionary tone of the article.

I think the article gets it wrong, because it leaves out the issue with the Commissioner's list.

If Kessler gets to have discovery/depositions from the NFL that may be a huge win!

Don't know the legalities, but don't disregard the owners and the damage to the league if this continues, or that best player in football is persecuted and not allowed to perform.

They do not have to let Goodell ruin the game and by ruin I mean kill the golden goose.

If you think the NFL is getting bad publicity now, just think what would happen if Judge Berman sets aside the suspension with a scathing rebuke and the NFL makes Brady exempt for four games. That would trigger a legal battle that could take all appeals away from the NFL and maybe a contempt of court.

After reading the article I had the following exchange with the author:

RichC ‏@rlcarr now
@SportsEsqBlog So whatever arbitrator reviews Goodell-as-Commissioner's punishment has to be very deferential to that punishment?
Andrew Sensi ‏@AndrewSensi 7m7 minutes ago
@rlcarr Pretty much. A lot of deference on appeal, whether court or arbitrator. Hence the cautionary tone of the article.

OK, but I think that's so sloppy as to be misleading.

First, what we're talking about is a redo of the June appeal. I'm not aware of anybody saying the events of that appeal need to be deferred to.

In ordinary court cases (no arbitrators at any step), the appellate court has to be very deferential to the original findings of fact. I presume that the analogy in this case is Goodell's original punishment decision, as based primarily on the Wells Report. So the original findings that the footballs were tampered with by somebody and that the somebody seems to have been McNally in the bathroom might have to be accepted, notwithstanding the illogic of those assertions.

Berman COULD choose to throw out specific such aspects, saying the logic of the inference was so terrible as to be wrong as a matter of law; that would be a rough analogy to a judge after a trial ruling summarily for acquittal because the prosecution's case was so terrible a guilty verdict could not be sustained. But I presume he would be reluctant to do so. So let's assume that he doesn't.

The league further argues that even assessments of "the law of the shop" and "the essence of the CBA" are arbitrator findings that should be give great deference. However:
  • If Berman rules to vacate he'll probably already have ruled that he isn't deferring to that extent.
  • If Berman orders re-arbitration, then presumably the original arbitration is moot, and can't be deferred to.

What the Sports Esquire guy is saying is that within the NFL punishment and appeal process (i.e. nothing to do with court) the arbitrator is required to be significantly deferential to the Commissioner's penalty (the one handed down on May 11th or whenever it was). He is not talking about deferral to the July 28th (or whatever) arbitrator's decision.

If Berman vacates (and doesn't base the vacatur on something that is "incurable") then the clock in essence goes back to May 12th. Brady has been given his punishment by the Commissioner and will be appealing to an arbitrator and the question is how much deference that arbitrator has to show to the May 11th punishment and its rationale. These guys claim quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents