Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This out today from Nolan Nawrocki:

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

Eric Wood is listed among the risers as possibly going late 1st round. Mel Kiper had Wood listed as possibly going #32 to the Steelers in his podcast discussion with Todd McShay, and no later than #38 to Cincinnati. I think it is unlikely that he will last long enough to be an option for the Pats.

Larry English, Everette Brown, Eben Britton and Sean Smith are listed among the fallers:

- English: "Once also in the discussion as a 3-4 rush linebacker, English did not show the athletic ability or explosiveness in positional drills at his pro-day workout to convince evaluators he could easily project to the position and is more likely to be drafted as a 4-3 end." I've always felt English projected better to 4-3 DE than to 3-4 OLB.

- Brown: "With nearly half of the league moving to at least some variation of a 3-4 front, Brown’s value has begun to diminish, as he was not asked to drop much in college and showed too much stiffness in reverse at his pro-day workout to project as a rush linebacker. With limited strength to stop the run, he fits best as an up-the-field, fly-at-the-snap, open-side edge rusher for a one-gap, attacking 4-3 defense. The 'one-dimensional' label some evaluators have affixed to him has pushed him down as far as the fourth round for some teams. He could still easily be drafted in the first, considering the premium placed on being able to the passer, but he may fall to the second." That would be quite a fall for Brown, once considered a top 10 player. I can't see how a 6'1" 256# DE who doesn't have the speed or unreal 1st step of a Dwight Freeney could be that much of an impact player. I've always had questions about his ability to be a 3-4 OLB based on his stiffness, lack of coverage experience, lack of height, and poor 3-cone and short shuttle times.

- Britton: "Much like Sam Baker a year ago, Britton has short arms and is not viewed by teams as an elite athlete who will be able to handle the left side. A run on tackles could still potentially bring Britton off the board in the first round in the Nos. 18-25 range where Baker and Jeff Backus both were drafted. However, the team that drafts him will likely be reaching for a huge position of need, not drafting for value, which some evaluators say is somewhere in the third or fourth round for Britton, in the same area where Eric Winston and Jon Runyan were drafted." I don't see Britton as having anywhere near the upside of a William Beatty.

- Smith: "Quickly, name a cornerback in the NFL who has been successful and who stood taller than 6-foot-3? Some may have been able to get away with it in a different era, but in the modern age where cornerbacks are often forced to match up with the elite quickness of a Steve Smith, Wes Welker or Greg Jennings, leggy cornerbacks do not possess enough transitional quickness to be effective. Questions about Smith’s maturity have also concerned teams. A number of teams have already eliminated Smith from consideration because he does not fit their schemes, with limited ability in man-off coverage. Many others have him positioned in the fourth round, with an expectation of him potentially competing for a backup job." This one gives me more pause than the others because I think Smith could be a spectacular FS. I could see him going late 1st, or falling to the late 2nd round. Lower than that seems unlikely to me. Gosselin was quite high on him, and gave no indication that he was falling.

I've yet to understand what besides size Smith brings to the table.

Also worth nothing Mohamed Massaquoi is a riser. Pats had him in for a visit. When all is said and done, he could end up being our second round WR.

Also, been reading a lot about the UNC TE lately ...

I've yet to understand what besides size Smith brings to the table.

I think that he would make a excellent free safety,then we can see what he has as CB later. With all the tall WR's it would help not having a bunch of red zone DB's who look like this
brainy50.gif

I think that he would make a excellent free safety,then we can see what he has as CB later. With all the tall WR's it would help not having a bunch of red zone DB's who look like this
brainy50.gif
If all we want is a tall defender Randy Moss can do that.

I've been seeing where Wood has been ranked as the center with the most power.

I would not mind seeing us pick him up to battle the monster noseguards in this league. Protect the franchise.

Maybe Koppen could back up Neal.

I'm surprised to hear negative things about English because Mayock is so high on him.

It's interesting to read these articles, but we've officially entered the misinformation portion of the year with less than 2 weeks to draft day. It usually holds to form that most mocks done a month before the draft have more of the right names in them than those done in the last few days. The "sliders" usually end up going where you thought they would before the "slide" and the "risers" usually don't rise more than a half a round if they rise at all.

Brown- I've seen several reports that said his on campus OLB work out was excellent, but I've also heard it wasn't that good. It seems like every analyst either believes Brown can be an OLB but not Orakpo or Orakpo can be an OLB but not Brown. There is no public consensus on those 2. Brown looks like a potential difference maker to me and I'd be happy with him at 23. It is interesting to not the Gosselin has Brown out of the first in his DE preview.

English- Mayock raved about him this week, but did acknowledge that not many teams attended his pro day. Mayock believes that teams are playing "possum" on English. He's similar to Brown in that he'll need to be an elite pass rusher to be a good NFL player.

Britton- This doesn't seem to be breaking any ground. I don't know of anyone who has viewed him as one of the elite Tackles, merely a solid T. T seems to be going the way of QB and DL in that guys who are not elite get pushed up the board due to scarcity. Duane Brown was a 3rd rounder last year....and ended up in round 1.

Williams- I have read that he ran much better at his pro day and that the Patriots have had a workout with him. I never heard him considered as a borderline first rounder, so I don't see how him going in the 3rd would surprise anyone.

Smith- I like the upside, but I've said the same thing about 6'3 corners being very rare. Lenny Walls and Brandon Browner are two examples of very tall CB's that haven't worked out lately. Smith appears to have great ball skills (check out his int on youtube, very reminiscent of something Moss would do), but I question whether he tackles well enough to be a safety. I think the quick receiver argument is a bad one in regards to his size as you certainly wouldn't play him in the slot where most of the quick receivers make their living.

Outside of Sanchez, all the "risers" seem to be safe picks who likely won't be stars.

I've been seeing where Wood has been ranked as the center with the most power.

I would not mind seeing us pick him up to battle the monster noseguards in this league. Protect the franchise.

Maybe Koppen could back up Neal.

I could not agree more. At #23 BB has the pick of all available centers in this draft. Mack and Wood project to have the power to handle the big boys in the middle of the defense.

Plus both project to be able to move out to OG in case of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back