PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: USA Today warps Brady’s words on White House visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

There should seriously be repercussions for "journalists" who do this crap... They should be fired, fined and/or jailed..

The media use to be an institution that was about "integrity" and reporting facts so that the public would be informed. Now, they seem to hire any idiot with a keyboard so long as they're willing to be controversial, push the envelope and flat out LIE to generate clicks

Its truly disgusting.. I don't know how these people live with themselves, its truly disgraceful and shows that they completely lack any sense of honor, integrity or dignity.

There should seriously be repercussions for "journalists" who do this crap... They should be fired, fined and/or jailed..

The media use to be an institution that was about "integrity" and reporting facts so that the public would be informed. Now, they seem to hire any idiot with a keyboard so long as they're willing to be controversial, push the envelope and flat out LIE to generate clicks

Its truly disgusting.. I don't know how these people live with themselves, its truly disgraceful and shows that they completely lack any sense of honor, integrity or dignity.

Actually the media was always leftist, it is just now with the internet and all the other independent media that their complete leftist bents have been exposed.

and Main Stream Media wonders why the public has lost all confidence in them!

I'd expect better from USA Today. That is sad.

USA Today has never tried to be a reputable organization from a journalism stand point, and I've never expected anything from them other than headlines that get the attention of business people who glance down at the paper in front of their hotel room door in the morning.

There truly is a difference between headline grabbing and investigative journalism. I was fortunate enough to sit in on an Editorial staff meeting at the Chicago Tribune in the 90's, where they wrestled as a group about which articles should be placed where in the paper. There were about a dozen people in the room, and more Pulitzers than that represented. That conversation was one of the most authentic, passionate debates I've seen in a workplace, with a ton of integrity. They challenged each others' biases, assumptions, and logic, and walked out of the room with a set of decisions no one was completely happy with but everyone respected. And had stronger relationships as a result.

Pretty sure that doesn't happen at USA Today.

Yes, there's a problem. Revenue is what underlies it.

How many of us on this Board pay a full subscription to our local and regional newspapers, and to good investigative magazines, so they can afford to pay for good reporting? And don't give me the excuse that they don't provide good reporting so you won't pay for it. We will sit here and create complaint threads (and thus clicks) to bad reporting but won't do much to promote the good stuff.

There's a very real element of "we have met the enemy, and he is us" when it comes to the fading away of good journalism in our country.

USA Today has never tried to be a reputable organization from a journalism stand point, and I've never expected anything from them other than headlines that get the attention of business people who glance down at the paper in front of their hotel room door in the morning.

There truly is a difference between headline grabbing and investigative journalism. I was fortunate enough to sit in on an Editorial staff meeting at the Chicago Tribune in the 90's, where they wrestled as a group about which articles should be placed where in the paper. There were about a dozen people in the room, and more Pulitzers than that represented. That conversation was one of the most authentic, passionate debates I've seen in a workplace, with a ton of integrity. They challenged each others' biases, assumptions, and logic, and walked out of the room with a set of decisions no one was completely happy with but everyone respected. And had stronger relationships as a result.

Pretty sure that doesn't happen at USA Today.

Not sure it happens in many places any more. The whole post-modern concept of self-referential truth has taken root not only in the academy and the arts but in the press as well.

Actually the media was always leftist, it is just now with the internet and all the other independent media that their complete leftist bents have been exposed.

Left or right, they're all liars... this idea that only one side of the political spectrum lies in the news is pretty silly and I don't think anyone can seriously believe that

He's in WEEI right now.

AJ Perez (writer) is saying he screwed up and misread the transcript. At least he owned up to it, although we still know it was intentional.

He's in WEEI right now.

AJ Perez (writer) is saying he screwed up and misread the transcript. At least he owned up to it, although we still know it was intentional.

Just a snake slithering in the grass...

I'll take an entire transcript out of context to make a politically driven headline attached to a mega celebrity in Brady so that my name is mentioned everywhere, then I'll issue a half-assed apology for "misreading" it... He's a ****ing journalist! You aren't going to take the time to read a transcript to fully understand context before you make a PUBLIC ARTICLE about it?

Such a joke

He's in WEEI right now.

If you read his Twitter account after he posted the bogus headline, he initially dug in and started arguing with people who were ripping him.

It was only after the stuff really hit the fan that he backed down and admitted he screwed up

Left or right, they're all liars... this idea that only one side of the political spectrum lies in the news is pretty silly and I don't think anyone can seriously believe that
The real question is the frequency and extent of the falsehoods. The false equivalency trap leads one to think that the little white lie is the same as the pants on fire variety. What is needed is a reliable source for people to determine where the truth lies, but we do have one side trying to undermine those institutions as "dishonest... biased" etc.

Everyone has a bias and it is too easy to dismiss verifiable facts being relayed through someone whose bias you do not share. One side will focus (hopefully) on verifiable facts on an issue and the other side will focus (hopefully) on other verifiable facts that support their bias. Confirmation bias leads us to seek out information that fits our world view and through that, we often don't consider the other facts that lead others to a different world view.

What is needed is a reliable source for people to determine where the truth lies,

And who/what might that source be?

Ever see Citizen Kane? When the titular character in that film bought a newspaper the first thing he did was to publish a "declaration of principles" stating his duty to be truthful to his readers and almost immediately thereafter started engaging in yellow journalism.

It's like any other human endeavor. No matter how noble the initial ideals were, it always gets c*cked up when put into practice due to the realities of human nature.

While the Globe, the New York Times, and NPR are definitely leftist, Fox News, the Wall Street Journal and the New Hampshire Union Leader are on the right. Historically, the William Randolph Hearst publishing empire, while initially progressive in its editorial stance (though promoting sensational news) turned to the right in the 1930s and opposed FDR and the New Deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back