PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Steven A. Smith doesn't seem to realize he was used by the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cmon, every reporter on this story knows that they are being used to spin this story from both sides. I mean it is the same on the pro Patriots leaks. Do you think when Adam Schefeter was given the correct story to blow the Kelly Naqi story out of the water that he didn't know he was being used by the Patriots to blow up that story and make ESPN look foolish by having their best reporter destroy their own story?

It isn't just this case. Politicians, businesses, entertainers, etc. use the media all the time to spin their own stories of the truth. Stephen A Smith has been around in the industry far too long not to know this. My guess is he is enjoying his moment in the spotlight and doesn't want it diminished by being labeled as a pawn for the NFL.

It's not accurate. That's the problem. What does destroy mean?

I upgraded to the iPhone6 from the iPhone5 a few months ago. I transferred all my stuff and wiped the old phone clean and gave it to my 8 year old to play with.

Did I destroy it?
Well to be fair, Brady did destroy the cell phone, I believe he's even said so--maybe in his appeal, I can't remember. The story is accurate, but the narrative is off because it's moving goal posts: this was never about his phone, even Wells said so. This was framing a non-story as the story in a very slimy, PR kind of way (leaking it ahead of time to drum up interest then dropping the report).

SAS got the story and he got it right, good for him. But Florio's right, he was specifically targeted for the leak because Vincent and the NFL knew his show's timing was right and that he'd blow up the way only SAS can about it. So...good for him I guess? No one will suddenly take him seriously because the NFL decided to use him as a puppet.

Well to be fair, Brady did destroy the cell phone, I believe he's even said so--maybe in his appeal, I can't remember. The story is accurate, but the narrative is off because it's moving goal posts: this was never about his phone, even Wells said so. This was framing a non-story as the story in a very slimy, PR kind of way (leaking it ahead of time to drum up interest then dropping the report).

SAS got the story and he got it right, good for him. But Florio's right, he was specifically targeted for the leak because Vincent and the NFL knew his show's timing was right and that he'd blow up the way only SAS can about it. So...good for him I guess? No one will suddenly take him seriously because the NFL decided to use him as a puppet.
...as long as you trust that the NFL took good notes during the appeal.

I don't at all.

They leaked it to Smith so that when people read Goodell's 50 page decision, that the "destruction" of the cell phone was the thing everyone drew their attention to and ignored the fact there was no other reason that Goodell gave to uphold the suspension made any sense. It was a calculated leak to frame the attention of the appeal response.

I wish the Pats did the same thing with the Wells Report in Context. Might have made the national discussion on the meat of the website rather than weight loss.

They leaked it to Smith so that when people read Goodell's 50 page decision, that the "destruction" of the cell phone was the thing everyone drew their attention to and ignored the fact there was no other reason that Goodell gave to uphold the suspension made any sense. It was a calculated leak to frame the attention of the appeal response.

I wish the Pats did the same thing with the Wells Report in Context. Might have made the national discussion on the meat of the website rather than weight loss.

Trust me I'm with you, they were moving the goal post from the facts of the appeal to 'look he destroyed his phone!' even though Wells expressly said he didn't ask for or want Brady's phone. I'm merely saying that SAS is very likely correct that Brady did destroy his phone, even if it has nothing to do with this case (except from the all-important PR battle that the NFL is handily winning).

The context report...two issues: 1. where's the 'smoking gun' that plays on sound bites like 'Tom Brady destroyed his cell phone'? They tore the Wells report apart but unfortunately it was all science and rebuttals, even if factual. 2. The Pats can't call up ESPN in quite the same way the NFL can. I mean, who here thinks Mort had a change of heart, vs the NFL putting pressure on ESPN--and by extension Mort--to shut his mouth? ESPN has billion$ of reasons to back the NFL at every turn, the Pats just don't have that on their own, especially when their case is against the NFL.

It's not accurate. That's the problem. What does destroy mean?

I upgraded to the iPhone6 from the iPhone5 a few months ago. I transferred all my stuff and wiped the old phone clean and gave it to my 8 year old to play with.

Did I destroy it?

That is a whole separate issue than whether or not he correctly broke the news that was coming out a few hours later.

It's hard for me to take issue with him. That's the NFL's fault, there--if they are incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back