PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT Sat 3/15: Pats, Edelman working on a new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
They really need another receive. Edelman, amendola and dobson won't be enough.

They were enough to get to the AFCC game last year, and that was with Dennard and Arrington playing most of the snaps on defense.

The real picture is going to be Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Vareen, Dobson, Boyce, rookie TE.

Even with Edelman, WR is still going to be a need. Preferably a burner or an big bodied outside the numbers threat to line up at flanker since Dobson will be manning split end. The Pats looking at Marquise Lee and Steve Smith seems to be in line with that logic.

A more accurate description of this thread would be that the Patriots
have not withdrawn their initial offer to Edelman.

Edelman's consistent production in the return game is the main reason I want the Pats to resign him. I think you can replace his receiving (and I don't think you want him catching 100 balls), but the return game gives him added value.

The strange problem with this is that his return game seemed to really suffer last year due to his increased reps at WR. Not sure why that is, but seems to happen to a lot of good returners (e.g. Devin Hestor)

A more accurate description of this thread would be that the Patriots
have not withdrawn their initial offer to Edelman.

Yeah, really should be a title change.

Even with Edelman, WR is still going to be a need.

Disagree.

Stinkypete is right. TE is the need. Those rookies did amazingly well last year in a new system with ZERO TE threat (outside of 5-6 games).

Draft a good TE to pair with Gronk and you already have your young WR corps (with a full intensive immersion year course under their belts with Brady) that will be very effective. Why waste all that learning and growing they did last year for some "name"?

Let's draft DL's, one more OLB (damn you Woodyard's agent!) and OL's.

As of late Friday night, Edelman and the Patriots were at the "table" talking extension again. That's a good sign. He left his hometown team without a deal. I really thought we were losing him. I tweeted it many times. However, I'm starting to think differently.

The Ravens did NE a favor by signing Smith. I'd much rather have Edelman than Smith at this point. Come home, Jules.

Disagree.

Stinkypete is right. TE is the need. Those rookies did amazingly well last year in a new system with ZERO TE threat (outside of 5-6 games).

Draft a good TE to pair with Gronk and you already have your young WR corps (with a full intensive immersion year course under their belts with Brady) that will be very effective. Why waste all that learning and growing they did last year for some "name"?

Let's draft DL's, one more OLB (damn you Woodyard's agent!) and OL's.

Both are needs unless you enjoy watching defenses just flood the field between the numbers. TE2 and flanker are definite needs. Edelman CAN play flanker, but he's not ideally what you would want at that position. In all, TE should take preference in the draft. If, or when, Gronk goes down again the team will have nothing there while they've shown that they can make due with what they have at WR. That said, what the Pats have at wideout haven't exactly been iron men either. Dobson just had surgery, Amendola is constantly injured, Thompkins was fighting injuries, Boyce got injured, and Edelman just played his first full season as a pro. So yes, all in all, WR is still a need.

To hell with the 3014 cap. We'll all be long gone anyway! :)

You clearly don't understand the Pats' planning process. They are loathe to sacrifice 3014 just to win in 2014. That's what the Jets do.

NFL.com now has him ranked as the 10th best FA still unsigned. But when you look at the teams they have as "interested" looks like the Patriots are the only choice. Not to say another team can't jump into the picture.

Free Agency Report | NFL.com

The WR draft class is not only deep, but loaded with athletic marvels. Whether they pan out or not, who knows. But there are Keenan Allens available everywhere, and by Allen I mean big strong fast guys with a lot of production. Put up Donte Moncrief's college numbers against anyone's, they are impressive.

You clearly don't understand the Pats' planning process. They are loathe to sacrifice 3014 just to win in 2014. That's what the Jets do.

3014 is when Gronk's great, great, great, ... genetically improved, cyborg - enhanced grandson becomes draft eligible.

Resign The Beast! :rocker:

Reports: JE stays with NE

Albert Breer just tweeted that Pats and Edelman have agreed to terms.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter

And now WR Julian Edelman has reached agreement with Patriots, per source. Tom Brady keeps his WR.

Revis Browner Edelman...been a good offseason

Per Adam Schefter, "Patriots and WR Julian Edelman just reached agreement, per source. Back to New England."

Good to hear that Jules will be staying.

24314255.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back