Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 6:57 p.m. EDT, July 6, 2006
SAUERBRUN SUSPENDED FOR FOUR GAMES

Two league sources tell us that Broncos punter Todd Sauerbrun has been suspended by the NFL for four games, for violation of the league's policy regarding steroids. Sauerbrun, we're told, tested positive for ephedra.

The NFL began testing for ephedra after the death of Vikings offensive lineman Korey Stringer. As Mike Freeman (then of the New York Times) explained in 2003, team lawyers contended in defending against a wrongful death lawsuit that ephedra was a factor in Stringer's demise; Stringer's family denied that ephedra played a role in his passing.

Last year, Sauerbrun was identified as a recipient of steroids from Dr. James Shortt during Sauerbrun's stint with the Carolina Panthers. Sauerbrun told the AP in October 2005 that the stigma regarding the steroid issue "won't go away as long as I'm in the NFL."

An 11-year veteran, Sauerbrun has punted for the Bears, Chiefs, Panthers, and Broncos. He was elected to the Pro Bowl in 2002, 2003, and 2004, and he is the punter of the PFT 2006 All-Turd Team.

It's not known at this point whether Sauerbrun has exhausted any available appeals, which could delay the implementation of the suspension.

The other punters on the Broncos' roster are rookie Jeff Williams of Adams State and Tyler Fredrickson of Cal, who is listed as a punter and a kicker. Look for the team to add a veteran punter who'll be able to handle the chores if/when Sauerbrun serves his four-game sit, and possibly beyond.

Last edited:
Will he face New England?

shakadave said:
Will he face New England?

If the PFT rumour is true, then no he won't - the Pats and Broncos play on Week 3.

Sauerbrun still on supplements? There's a big freaking suprise.

still? no..this happened few years ago and i think hes only active panther that did it. he probably doesnt use it now..but did

that explains the fumble

A reasonable person might think after all that press in Carolina last year, he mighta stopped...guess not..dumbass, if I were a Bronco fan would be pissed.

Too badhe will not face the Pats..would love to see someone take him out...He's a big mouth punter as well..

Sauerbrun gets booted

Second time getting fingered? He must be kicking himself.

I cannot believe that Ephedra is a suspendable substance. Stupid overeaction IMO.

BelichickFan said:
I cannot believe that Ephedra is a suspendable substance. Stupid overeaction IMO.

It has killed many (including the Orioles' Steve Belcher in 2003). It's a smart move by the NFL. The FDA also banned the uncontrolled sale of it in 2003. It's also illegal in 3 states.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
It has killed many (including the Orioles' Steve Belcher in 2003). It's a smart move by the NFL. The FDA also banned the uncontrolled sale of it in 2003. It's also illegal in 3 states.
As far as I can tell it's only killed people who don't follow the usage instructions. It's perfectly harmless if taken in appropriate doses.

BelichickFan said:
As far as I can tell it's only killed people who don't follow the usage instructions. It's perfectly harmless if taken in appropriate doses.

But the league can't rely on every player taking it following the correct usage. The consequences are just too, well, deadly.

pats1 said:
But the league can't rely on every player taking it following the correct usage. The consequences are just too, well, deadly.
Well there's a lot of things which can kill you if you overdo it. It's just stupid IMO - and don't get me started on the FDA's role in this (and no, I don't take ephedra but I have zero respect for what the government tells us is healthy and not).

BelichickFan said:
Well there's a lot of things which can kill you if you overdo it. It's just stupid IMO - and don't get me started on the FDA's role in this (and no, I don't take ephedra but I have zero respect for what the government tells us is healthy and not).

Well, I won't get into the FDA, but as for the NFL... they are a business... they have to protect their product as well as prevent lawsuits like the one that brought about this substance ban.

I think they are smart to ban it simply because it is bad PR to have a player drop dead at practice... even if he did use the drug incorrectly. It is also bad PR to appear to condone steroid and/or drug use. I'm sure it is still happening, but the NFL has to at least appear as if they are serious about stopping it.

Seymour93 said:
If the PFT rumour is true, then no he won't - the Pats and Broncos play on Week 3.

I hope Bronco fans don't use that as an excuse as they did with Elam in '03.

I understand exactly what you are saying about the FDA, which is a pawn to various lobbyists that want to sell synthetic chemicals and ban natural herbal supplements. It is a very serious problem for anyone practicing safe alternative health habits.

But it doesn't really apply here, because ephedra can give you a heart attack when used in the doses that an athlete would need to achieve a quick weight loss, like in the Vikings case, or perhaps for energy, like maybe Sauerbrun. It is not safe for athletes to use without clear supervision, and then go out and smack each other around in the heat for 3 hours. People in the NFL have died from it already, and the NFL has been sued.

We all know that a potential lawsuit is more important to NFL owners than anything else. And those of us that care about such things also understand that the FDA is corrupt as hell! ;)

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
I understand exactly what you are saying about the FDA, which is a pawn to various lobbyists that want to sell synthetic chemicals and ban natural herbal supplements. It is a very serious problem for anyone practicing safe alternative health habits.

There are a lot of problems with the FDA, but, to be fair, it has had its successes (e.g., it prevented the thalidomide disaster from reaching the US).

But it doesn't really apply here, because ephedra can give you a heart attack when used in the doses that an athlete would need to achieve a quick weight loss, like in the Vikings case, or perhaps for energy, like maybe Sauerbrun. It is not safe for athletes to use without clear supervision, and then go out and smack each other around in the heat for 3 hours. People in the NFL have died from it already, and the NFL has been sued.

Part of this is a perception problem: people automatically assume "natural" means "safe." Hemlock is natural, but I wouldn't drink it. ;)

Seriously, though, I see why the ban is place, even if I have my reservations about it.

[OT: Worse still is when people talk about natural products being "chemical-free" . . . unless you're working in a plasma physics lab or something similar, everything you encounter in your day-to-day life is made of chemicals!]

Last edited:
OT: The FDA has done way more good things than bad, no doubt. It is too bad that they are easily influenced thru politics, lobbying, big business, ect.

The NFL needs to have their own set of requirements regardless of the FDA, because the NFL wants to avoid lawsuits as well as protect the players from 'overdoing it' on natural or chemical supplements. In the long run, the safety of athletes is most important and it is better to err on the side of caution. Athletes can always eat more Wheaties and live a health lifestyle, rather than depend on supplements as a magic bullet.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it doesn't really apply here, because ephedra can give you a heart attack when used in the doses that an athlete would need to achieve a quick weight loss, like in the Vikings case
Flat out wrong. Ephedra and fat loss has been tested and researched to death, results overwhelmingly point to 25mg combined with 200mg caffiene (they work synergistically, ephedra alone is almost useless), three times a day provides the fastest fat loss while preserving lean body mass. Taking more does nothing to promote faster fat loss, some studies show that adding more slows down the positive response. That same 75mg/600mg per day dosage has been tested in large groups and long term (I believe the longest was a 5 year clinical trial, either in Belgium or Harvard Medical School) and shows conclusively no increase risk of heart attack or stroke, and absolutely no negative side effects of any kind, long term.

or perhaps for energy, like maybe Sauerbrun.
And that's where the abuse comes in, and the only reason an NFL ban makes sense. With regular use, the effect ephedra has on your beta-1 and beta-2 receptors gets down-regulated by your body, and that's where the energy, jitters, and general 'stimulant' effects come from. (By the way, the effect on the beta-3 receptors does not down-regulate with continued use, and that's where the fat burning effect comes from... something the pharmacutical companies have been trying forever to replicate.) So, like you said, if taking it for energy, the player would either have to cycle it and come off it a while, or take more, and that IS when the abuse becomes dangerous, especially combined with heat, sun, and most importantly, improper hydration.

The NFL ban makes sense, the FDA ban made no sense, which is why it was overturned in a federal court. Thank God. (10% Body Fat, here I come.) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes