PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: Pats have finalized four-year deal with Brady, through 2014 [mergedx5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Peter King: Pats have finalized four-year deal with Brady, through 2014 [mergedx5

Good for Tommy but it is stupid that anyone is worth 72 million.....its speaks volumes about our society, it will be our downfall.

Not Tom's fault he's just playing the game we all play, some get lucky others work hard and some get a silver spoon.

He's a great guy and I hope he gives a lot to his charities in the future;)

Go Pat's!!!

I hear what you're sayin, but from what [little] I know about Brady, if any professional athlete or celebrity out there deserves a big pay day, it's him.

Re: Peter King: Pats have finalized four-year deal with Brady, through 2014 [mergedx5

Not that he's not worth it because he is but I am surprised it's that big. I mean 18/year is a really large number especially since owners are looking into decreasing the players' piece of the pie which will decrease the cap.

Where are all the posters that were saying Brady will take a discount... 14/15 million a year?

yeah, all 39 of them... wait a sec, 40.

And not for nothing, saying the pats are reluctant to pay their guys isn't trolling, its fact

Except for, you know, the whole decade's worth of evidence that supports the fact that the Pats AREN'T reluctant to pay the guys they want to pay. I guess you support the Jets take on handling the salary cap: completely overload it so that they have to get rid of key guys this year and into the future. Alan Faneca anyone?

nikoncomeatmebert.gif

I wonder how much of that guaranteed money will be paid out this year...

EDIT: Never mind. Had a few to drink tonight and I forgot that he's playing out the final year of his last deal in 2010.

People keep confusing how this works because of the fact that the new money is attributed to the added seasons. He will get a huge chunk of the money this year, it's not a deal where he gets play for the $6.5M this year and then gets a signing bonus next year. He will get one now, and maybe another then.

LaCanfora now says it is in fact a $72M (new money) 4 year extension so $18M average which tops Eli by $2M per in new money and $78.5M over 5 or $15.7 which is just about what Eli is averaging or maybe a hair more. Guaranteed money is a little less than the $50M mark the rookie QB just set, but his entire deal only averages $13M over 6 years.

What remains to be seen is how much of the $49M in guaranteed money Brady sees in signing bonus this year and how guaranteed the rest is because of the restrictions of the reallocation rule.

Last edited:

People keep confusing how this works because of the fact that the new money is attributed to the added seasons. He will get a huge chuck of the money this year, it's not a deal where he gets play for the $6.5M this year and then gets a signing bonus next year. He will get one now, and maybe another then.

LaCanfora now says it is in fact a $72M (new money) 4 year extension so $18M average which tops Eli by $2M per in new money and $78.5M over 5 or $15.7 which is just about what Eli is averaging or maybe a hair more. Guaranteed money is a little less than the $50M mark the rookie QB just set, but his entire deal only averages $13M over 6 years.

What remains to be seen is how much of the $49M in guaranteed money Brady sees in signing bonus this year and how guaranteed the rest is because of the restrictions of the reallocation rule.

Bradford's guaranteed sum total is not $50 million right off the bat. It's base is a vesting $24m minimum and is incentive-laden as any other contract is. I believe he has to play a 35% minimum play-time to get it to kick up to 50m, along with the option bonus.

So if Brady gets hurt how much of the guaranteed money would he get?

So if Brady gets hurt how much of the guaranteed money would he get?

All of it. He's a veteran.

Breer seems to have a good wrap on the deal with the exception you never put the three year agerage into that last year...that money while spread over the cap for amortization purposes was earned and paid for in those first three...hence the underpaid arguments at the end of deals. Had he played out his 2005 deal this year he'd have only seen $6.5M on a deal that over 6 years averaged $10M (unless you want to keep backtracking as you average in which case it would have been less since his earlier deal averaged $6M and the rookie deal less than $300K per respectfully...).

Thing is they did exactly what most rational folks predicted, topped Eli who presently topped the veteran QB leader board on total average and new money average and guaranteed $$. I said when all the hysterics were predicting either another $13M deal or $25M that he would come in in the $16-18M range (and his 5 year average is $16.7 and his new money average is $18M) and not top $20. Manning may but that's Polian's problem...

So it works different for guys who have been in the league less than 5 or 6 years?

Again, we don't know that yet because of the way the term guaranteed is being thrown around this year despite the reallocation rule making it impossible to fully guarantee salaries unless they were in the prior year or the team had remaining room under their cap to have absorbed them - and we didn't have much room because we seldom do.

What will be fully guaranteed is whatever his signing bonus is. The remainder is likely rolling guaranteed starting on the first day of the next league year...

So it works different for guys who have been in the league less than 5 or 6 years?

You become a vested veteran with 4+ years of service.

Again, we don't know that yet because of the way the term guaranteed is being thrown around this year despite the reallocation rule making it impossible to fully guarantee salaries unless they were in the prior year or the team had remaining room under their cap to have absorbed them - and we didn't have much room because we seldom do.

What will be fully guaranteed is whatever his signing bonus is. The remainder is likely rolling guaranteed starting on the first day of the next league year...

As a vested veteran he is going to get 100% of his guarantee. Even though this year is uncapped, it still counts towards UFA status accreditation so if that counts, the vested veteran status therefore counts in an uncapped year.

Last edited:

No, it works however each guys contract says it works. Some contracts (particularly rookie deals) have benchmarks that have to be achieved for the guarantees to kick in. Brady and Manning haven't had those in their present deals and likely wouldn't have them in their new deals except that the reallocation rule prevents teams extending players in the uncapped year from FULLY guaranteeing them as much money as they'd like to in the future years (unless they had enough cap space remaining at the end of 2009 to absorb that money or unless the player had fully guaranteed salary this season which neither Brady or Manning did).

I am not talking about his salary. I am talking about the sum total of his guarantee. Since he is a vested veteran, he gets 100% of it. His guarantee cannot be incentive-laden, IIRC.

Vesting has nothing to do with guaranteed money. That is determined by the guaranteed language in his individual deal. Lately teams have been unable to fully guarantee money in extensions because of one of the expiring CBA rules, the reallocation rule. The only FULLY guaranteed money in Brady's deal will likely be his signing bonus, although if it is large enough it will implicitly guarantee he sees the first three years of the deal which is where the guaranteed money is located... The actual balance of his guaranteed money beyond his signing bonus will likely be either guaranteed for injury or skill or rolling (taking effect after the next league year).

I now see why Moss was so envious. Look at what the PATs who don't pay veterans are paying Brady. So it is just a matter of not really wanting you and not because they don't pay. Moss thinking...

Top of the website says till 2013, this thread is 2014. What's the real time frame?

Top of the website says till 2013, this thread is 2014. What's the real time frame?

2014. New contract is enacted after this year (last year of Brady's current contract).

When they finallly decided that Mmankins wasn't coming in for the big money they were planning to give him, it seems his $7.5 million set-aside has unlocked Brady's and Gostkowski's signings. Can Moss be far away?:D

Glad it is offical. Now they can finally stop asking him about it. This week just keeps getting better and better! :)

SWEEEEETTTT!!!

I love waking up to good news :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick