PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King on Givens/McGinest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter King quote:
"They were right to dump Drew Bledsoe for Brady, right to dump Antowain Smith for Corey Dillon, right to dump Lawyer Milloy for Rodney Harrison, right to dump Tebucky Jones and Eugene Wilson, and right to dump Ty Law instead of paying him something like $10 million this year."

Made my heart stop there for a minute. A sick joke for Mr. King to play. With the way things have been going, I almost believed it. :bricks:

holyredeemer said:
Peter King quote:
"They were right to dump Drew Bledsoe for Brady, right to dump Antowain Smith for Corey Dillon, right to dump Lawyer Milloy for Rodney Harrison, right to dump Tebucky Jones and Eugene Wilson, and right to dump Ty Law instead of paying him something like $10 million this year."

Made my heart stop there for a minute. A sick joke for Mr. King to play. With the way things have been going, I almost believed it. :bricks:

"And".. "For"... what's the difference really?

;)

Been fixed now. This part I found more interesting. (emphasis mine):

I think I have to hand it to David Givens. The man tells me exactly what most of these suddenly rich free agents should say when they sign at a young age and the finances are significantly different from one place to another: It's about the money. He turned down $17.5 million over five years (with $2.5 million in achievable incentives) with New England to take $24 million in Tennessee. In New England, where he got a hard last-minute sales pitch from Belichick, he knows he'd have caught 50 to 65 balls a year for the foreseeable future and benefited from playing most of his career with Tom Brady. But here's a guy whose signing bonus was $19,000 coming out of college, who'd made $2.3 million in four years in the NFL -- and the Titans offered him $8 million simply to sign a contract. "I'm a single guy with no children, and at this point in my career business is my priority,'' he told me. "Sometimes in the business world, a change has to be made to fulfill personal goals. And I am not afraid of change.'' At that price, I wouldn't be, either. And I'm a guy who would be in mourning to not play with Brady anymore.

peter king has made the assumption in this article that vrabel will be moving back to outside, im not so sure he should make this assumption considering there are better outside guys available

also, even if vrabel made the move back outside, willie would start over rosie

Although Vrabel was good inside, his skill set is still better utilized outside. There may be a few better OLB options than ILB but they're also far more costly. Unless we get a Peterson at a reasonable (but still high) price, I fully expect Vrabel to go back outside.

the thing is, bb trusts younger guys at the outside
so if we move vrabel back outside are options inside are ryan claridge, fa's (jamie sharper is maybe the best avail, but a lot in here think hes done), or a draft pick (like i said i dont think bb will trust a rookie ilb)

BelichickFan said:
Although Vrabel was good inside, his skill set is still better utilized outside. There may be a few better OLB options than ILB but they're also far more costly. Unless we get a Peterson at a reasonable (but still high) price, I fully expect Vrabel to go back outside.
I personally don't - I expect to see Vrabel play more time at ILB than OLB this year. There aren't many 3-4 ILB FAs, and this year it's looking like there are far more good OLB prospects in the draft than ILB prospects. We'll almost certainly have a FA or rookie OLB coming in - which means Vrabel will spend a lot of time at ILB. IMO.

big mike said:
I personally don't - I expect to see Vrabel play more time at ILB than OLB this year. There aren't many 3-4 ILB FAs, and this year it's looking like there are far more good OLB prospects in the draft than ILB prospects. We'll almost certainly have a FA or rookie OLB coming in - which means Vrabel will spend a lot of time at ILB. IMO.
I'm on the fence but I think I agree with the assessment that it will be easier to replace an OLB than an ILB right now. I was dead-set against moving Vrabes inside, and again I was dead-wrong. I'm done guessing. :)

King has Marquise Hill as a bust. He hasn't really show anything yet, but I believe he was the youngest player taken in the draft 2 years ago. He might not even be 22 yet.

I think it is a little to early to write Hill off just yet.

mcdonut16 said:
King has Marquise Hill as a bust. He hasn't really show anything yet, but I believe he was the youngest player taken in the draft 2 years ago. He might not even be 22 yet.

FWIW - Hill will be 24 years old at the start of the 2006 season.

mcdonut16 said:

He was a 2nd round pick.

It's time to get off the can.

mcdonut16 said:

I was really surprised and disappointed with the Hill pick, and he hasn't done anything yet to change my initial opinion.

big mike said:
I was really surprised and disappointed with the Hill pick, and he hasn't done anything yet to change my initial opinion.

Its not awful though that he is stuck behind 3 guys who keep getting better

As Miguel Said, Hill will be 24 during training camp. When he was taken, it was as a project. Someone who could learn from the best without any pressure.

Hill finally started getting some playing time last year on goal-line sequences. From what I saw, he did well sealing off the end to free the LB, but the one tiem they came to the left side, the linebacker wasn't up to the task of stopping the RB. I don't know if it was Beisel or Izzo, but whomever it was just got run over by the RB.

mcdonut16 said:

I agree mcdonut16. Hill was a developmental pick taken on good word form Saban and is now buried behind a couple of first round draft picks at the DE position!

DaBruinz said:
As Miguel Said, Hill will be 24 during training camp. When he was taken, it was as a project. Someone who could learn from the best without any pressure.

Hill finally started getting some playing time last year on goal-line sequences. From what I saw, he did well sealing off the end to free the LB, but the one tiem they came to the left side, the linebacker wasn't up to the task of stopping the RB. I don't know if it was Beisel or Izzo, but whomever it was just got run over by the RB.

Are you talking about the time Beisel got absolutely PUNKED by LT? I never noticed Hill in on that play though. Good observation.

i consider the King article a good one, overall.

and till today anyway Hill has done anything for us.

let's see...this year could be vital for him...

holyredeemer said:
Are you talking about the time Beisel got absolutely PUNKED by LT? I never noticed Hill in on that play though. Good observation.

i saw an interview with tomlinson last year, and he was asked what his fav run in his entire career was
he said that one
cuz he felt that any other guy wouldve gone down, but he stayed up and got the td

what he failed to mention was the guy who shouldve brought him down is not a good tackler

i too was very angry when we picked marquise hill in the second rd

i wanted cb derrick strait, who was drafted by the jets and now looks pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye