PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King on Givens/McGinest

Status
Not open for further replies.
dryheat44 said:
Been fixed now. This part I found more interesting. (emphasis mine):

I think I have to hand it to David Givens. The man tells me exactly what most of these suddenly rich free agents should say when they sign at a young age and the finances are significantly different from one place to another: It's about the money. He turned down $17.5 million over five years (with $2.5 million in achievable incentives) with New England to take $24 million in Tennessee. In New England, where he got a hard last-minute sales pitch from Belichick, he knows he'd have caught 50 to 65 balls a year for the foreseeable future and benefited from playing most of his career with Tom Brady. But here's a guy whose signing bonus was $19,000 coming out of college, who'd made $2.3 million in four years in the NFL -- and the Titans offered him $8 million simply to sign a contract. "I'm a single guy with no children, and at this point in my career business is my priority,'' he told me. "Sometimes in the business world, a change has to be made to fulfill personal goals. And I am not afraid of change.'' At that price, I wouldn't be, either. And I'm a guy who would be in mourning to not play with Brady anymore.

You are right. I found that interesting too.

David all but said "it's about the money". Too many of these guys say it's not about the money when everyone knows it's about the money.

I find it refreshing for David to admit it and find no fault in what he did.

dryheat44 said:
I think I have to hand it to David Givens. .... He turned down $17.5 million over five years (with $2.5 million in achievable incentives) with New England to take $24 million in Tennessee. In New England, where he got a hard last-minute sales pitch from Belichick, ....

It may be small ... cold ... comfort. But it is still comfort of some kind.

Over six weeks or so, the HIGH END ... of what i've argued here a number of times we should be offering David ... was 3.5 mil avg for each of 5 years.

And Coach tried hard to sell that. Okay, we lost him ...
but we ought not have paid any more.

mcdonut16 said:
King has Marquise Hill as a bust. He hasn't really show anything yet, but I believe he was the youngest player taken in the draft 2 years ago. He might not even be 22 yet.

I think it is a little to early to write Hill off just yet.

* As a 2nd round, 1st day pick(the 63rd player taken) and playing in his 2nd year last year, to have an unbdrafted FA( M Wright) play ahead of him, IMOI, speaks volume's. Even in his very limited playing time he looked to be ineefective at all. He did have good players ahead of him at DE, but even when Seymour was out I don't recall him being active. The days of waiting years for a player to develope are over although he is signed thru 2008 and has a small cap figure. I think he has to show something fast.

PatsSteve1 said:
* .... The days of waiting years for a player to develop are over although he is signed thru 2008 and has a small cap figure. I think he has to show something fast.

Last off-season, AndyJohnson showed persuasively that BB (and other coaches) seem willing
to wait 3 years for a suspected talent to manifest itself.
After that ... sayonara.

Bethel already has had three ... but we don't know
what allowance BB may make for his dual injuries ******ing progress.

Hill has not been injured ... and this will be his Year Three.
Heads up, Boot!

PatsSteve1 said:
* As a 2nd round, 1st day pick(the 63rd player taken) and playing in his 2nd year last year, to have an unbdrafted FA( M Wright) play ahead of him, IMOI, speaks volume's. Even in his very limited playing time he looked to be ineefective at all. He did have good players ahead of him at DE, but even when Seymour was out I don't recall him being active. The days of waiting years for a player to develope are over although he is signed thru 2008 and has a small cap figure. I think he has to show something fast.

No offense, but your who theory is BS. How can you expect people to take you seriously when you put up stupid stuff like this?

Mike Wright is a NT. Undrafted or not, Wright had less people in front of him than Hill does. Wright only had KLECKO in front of him to be a game day back-up. Hill had Green in front of him and the Patriots regularly only went with 1 reserve at NT and 1 at DE. Because of the number of DBs and LBs they used.

Marquis Hill is a DE. And yes, he was activated when Seymour was out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft