PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pete Prisco's top 50 FA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see... first priority is to resign our guys like Welker(probly a FA Tag), Carter, either Koppen or Connolly,etc. Then we sign Brandon Lloyd, Colston, or somebody like that. We move DMAC to Safety. We sign a lower market safety to be a backup.

In general, I'd say this should be our defense next year-

(In 3-4)
NT-Vince Wilfork
DE-Carter(or OLB), draft pick, and Deaderick
OLB-Ninkovich, Anderson, draft pick, maybe FA signing
ILB- Spikes, Mayo
CB-Vet Corner, Arrington, Moore, Dowling, draft pick
S- Chung, McCourty, vet safety

neither Carter nor Anderson are 34 system fit. There's a reason they came here and Pats played mostly 43. Playing them in a 34D is trying to fit a round ball into a square peg.

If 34 is employed say Hello to 'ol friend Jermaine Cunningham

First and foremost BB needs to decide the identity of this D, is it a 43 or 34. In a 34 you better have GREAT OLB who can set the edge as well rush. In 43 you better have lighter speedier DE's a la Giants or 49ers

Problem for Pats is they have neither type under contract - since Anderson and Carter are both FA, and Cunningham did nothing. Furthermore, Carter will be 33 and coming off a major injury, which does not bode well for a DE that relies on his speed/quickness in a 43.

Free Agency and Draft will tell us a lot which D scheme this team is headed towards. The DB's CAN'T play press, and pathetic S play exacerbated the problems in Man coverage. Secondary's identity is play zone, and with McCourty and Ras-I, Arrington and Sterling Moore, skillsets best fit that. Issue is can they bring decent FREE SAFETY. THAT IS THE KILLER. AS the NFL is going more to PASS, PASS, PASS 3down league, it would be a shocker teams adopt 2 FS type athletes who can play coverage. The SS is a dying breed due to less focus on run, furthermore SS becomes a liability in coverage.

Personally, we will revert back to 34. That's Wilfork's strength as well our personnel fits 34. Need better OLB's and secondary will be much improved.

This is the year FINALLY we could see push to get the ELEPHANT DE/OLB via FA and DRAFT, while everyone will yell and scream for DB's or WR ! Get ready for the annual BB curveballs !

Last edited:
No it doesnt

ORLY? Because McCourty, Chung, Dowling, and Moore aren't talented players? They've all shown incredible talent (Dowling was considered the 2nd best CB in last years draft), it's consistency that's been the issue.

ORLY? Because McCourty, Chung, Dowling, and Moore aren't talented players? They've all shown incredible talent (Dowling was considered the 2nd best CB in last years draft), it's consistency that's been the issue.

Dowling will be a glass house...watch

Dowling will be a glass house...watch

Ras I is going to ball.... watch....

tumblr_lkontqKgcs1qe0eclo1_r3_500.gif

Last edited:
1. DT/DE in 3-4/4-3
2. OLB 3-4/4-3
3. SS
4. CB (2)
5. WR

I understand the fact that this team has not scored as much in the playoffs when they needed to but I think folks are falling into the same trap as after the 06 season that offense- especially WRs will fix this team's problems.

The Pats need a defense that can make a stop in the 4th qtr.

They need playmakers on defense.

Give me Ahmad Brooks, Colston, Lloyd, one of the top CB's and Goldson OR Griffin and I;m happy.... how much is the cap again.... haha, we can dream

Consistency is achieved by playing a lot with the guys around you, getting a ton of both practice and game reps so you can start to predict what your teammates are going to do in a given situation.

Bringing in a new guy isn't necessarily going to improve consistency.

Also, this notion of "leadership" equaling guys being scared to mess up because of another player's wrath is BS. What would Rodney Harrison do, threaten to beat these guys up if they screwed up? Come on.

1. DT/DE in 3-4/4-3
2. OLB 3-4/4-3
3. SS
4. CB (2)
5. WR

I understand the fact that this team has not scored as much in the playoffs when they needed to but I think folks are falling into the same trap as after the 06 season that offense- especially WRs will fix this team's problems.

yet it was arguably receiver that was the reason we didn't win that last game. How many drives stalled? How many dropped passes were there? We had chances to burry the giants while the Defense was doing its job and we couldn't. As time wen't on the defense improved and the offense seemed to be slowing down. With Dowling coming back and Arrington playing the way he did why would corner be a need unless its to move McCourty to safety? You list SS as a need but this team stresses the ability to play both safety positions, if anything I'd say we need someone a bit more rangier than chung but thats just my opinion. The Defensive line/pass rush can definitely be approved and thats the only position I would say is of higher need than WR.

I really wish people would see some of the plays receivers around the NFL make every sunday and then think about what Tom Brady could do with someone like that. For too long Brady has been forced to put the ball in the perfect spot or hold it for an hour because the inside is clogged and outside receivers can't get a step in man coverage. If TB had someone like Nicks this offense would be operating on a different level.

Last edited:
yet it was arguably receiver that was the reason we didn't win that last game. How many drives stalled? How many dropped passes were there? We had chances to burry the giants while the Defense was doing its job and we couldn't. As time wen't on the defense improved and the offense seemed to be slowing down. With Dowling coming back and Arrington playing the way he did why would corner be a need unless its to move McCourty to safety? You list SS as a need but this team stresses the ability to play both safety positions, if anything I'd say we need someone a bit more rangier than chung but thats just my opinion. The Defensive line/pass rush can definitely be approved and thats the only position I would say is of higher need than WR.

I really wish people would see some of the plays receivers around the NFL make every sunday and then think about what Tom Brady could do with someone like that. For too long Brady has been forced to put the ball in the perfect spot or hold it for an hour because the inside is clogged and outside receivers can't get a step in man coverage. If TB had someone like Nicks this offense would be operating on a different level.

1. If Dowling can comeback and remain healthy.....Big IF with Glass-I
2. McCourty is 185. No way he can last a whole season playing FS position
3. Pass rush was fine with Anderson, Carter. Problem is rest of the DL is a 34 personnel being forced to play 43. They need to revert back to 34 an stick with it, or if 43 is the decision then blow up the DL and go get 2 more solid DLmen - a DT and DE, AND sign Anderson and Carter(1 year deal). That would mean Jermaine cunningham era is over(Sean Crable 2.0)
4. If the offensive scheme is setup to be be so complex for WRs, then its the scheme, not the players. What were the scouts doing for last 10 years since Branch/Givens ? They could not identify 1 friggin "smart" WR who may not have the elite talent but cam read the QB and Defense. Much of it is also Brady's fault. in the early years he trusted many receivers - Brown, Branch, Givens, Faulk, Graham, Fauria, Pass, Patten. Just look how many touches the WR and TE used to get on the team a total balanced approach.
Then suddenly he fell into the trap of only focusing on Moss or Welker where in 2007 these 2 caught ~52% of all his completions

Last edited:
After that POS column he wrote about Brady the other day, I don't care what this dink thinks.

1. DT/DE in 3-4/4-3
2. OLB 3-4/4-3
3. SS
4. CB (2)
5. WR

Sobering fact. By playing good 4th quarter defense we could have at least 3 more rings, maybe more.

4. If the offensive scheme is setup to be be so complex for WRs, then its the scheme, not the players. What were the scouts doing for last 10 years since Branch/Givens ? They could not identify 1 friggin "smart" WR who may not have the elite talent but cam read the QB and Defense. Much of it is also Brady's fault. in the early years he trusted many receivers - Brown, Branch, Givens, Faulk, Graham, Fauria, Pass, Patten. Just look how many touches the WR and TE used to get on the team a total balanced approach.
Then suddenly he fell into the trap of only focusing on Moss or Welker where in 2007 these 2 caught ~52% of all his completions

This is a bunch of crap.
From 2007 thru 2011 the Patriots are 1st in points scored. 2nd in passing yards. First in passing TDs. 2nd in completion %. Have the least Ints. Have the most wins BY 9.
Brady didn't stop throwing to the open receiver, he finally got receivers who get open often.
They have found enough receivers to learn the system to be the best passing offense in the NFL.
You are frankly out of your mind if you see the passing offense as a problem and think the system that has been the best in the NFL and the QB that has been the best in the NFL is the problem because the end of the bench WRs couldnt fit into it.

1. If Dowling can comeback and remain healthy.....Big IF with Glass-I
BB Drafted him with the first pick in the second round. I think its safe to say that he has faith in him coming back and contributing after a year to get healthy.
2. McCourty is 185. No way he can last a whole season playing FS position
McCourty will probably be pushing 200 at the start of the season. Dashon Goldson is 200lb and he lasted fine. Safety can be upgraded but trying to push a rookie corner on the field over what we have is a stretch.
3. Pass rush was fine with Anderson, Carter. Problem is rest of the DL is a 34 personnel being forced to play 43. They need to revert back to 34 an stick with it, or if 43 is the decision then blow up the DL and go get 2 more solid DLmen - a DT and DE, AND sign Anderson and Carter(1 year deal). That would mean Jermaine cunningham era is over(Sean Crable 2.0)
I love how you write a player under contract off over two guys who aren't. I also love how you fail to mention how Carter got shut down for the year with a knee injury. Its a big "if" to see if he can contribute next season.;) You can never have enough pass rush and a guy like Upshaw who can become a real stall wort in this defense against bot the pass and run would pay dividends next year.

Honestly this whole locking in thing is a farce in my opinion. Are you really trying to tell me TB would look past an open receiver to throw in to double coverage? I think it has more to do with other guys not getting open and TB would rather let Moss try to make a play than to take a sack. Others may be overconfidence. The talent at TE was no where near what we have now so I you really can't compare the two eras. Im also waiting to see a receiver who wasn't smart enough to play here go on to have success with another organization.

Sobering fact. By playing good 4th quarter defense we could have at least 3 more rings, maybe more.

6 points, the giants scored 6 points in the 4th quater. Our Defense could be better but the fact is we couldn't score one damn time in the 4th quater and majority of the 3rd quater as well. The defense is a few players, health and a full offseason away from becoming top 10 in my opinion.

6 points, the giants scored 6 points in the 4th quater. Our Defense could be better but the fact is we couldn't score one damn time in the 4th quater and majority of the 3rd quater as well. The defense is a few players, health and a full offseason away from becoming top 10 in my opinion.

The defense took the field with 92 yards behind them and a stop meant a SB Win.
Sure they let up 6 points, but they let up the 6 that was the difference between a Champoinship and not.
Belittle that if you wish, but it cost us a Lombardi.

Oh, and they defended 2 drives in the 4th quarter. Are you saying a TD every other drive is good defense?
The first one was a 11 play 49 yard drive that started at our 8 took up 5 minutes and pinned us at our 8. The second one was an 88 yard drive in 9 plays that didn't even get to a single 3rd down.
The drive was
incomplete
6 TD

You could only argue 3 plays were reasonably effective, all were on first down and all were followed by allowing a 1st or TD on 2nd.
You pretty much can't play defense worse than that.

Aside from the 57 second drive with 1 TO our offense have one 4t quarter drive. It started at the 8 took 5:38 off the clock, drove 48 yards and flipped field position to the Giant 12, and would have iced the game if not for Welkers drop.

It is totally assinine to say the offense was worse than the defense in the 4th quarter.

Also I could give a crap where they are ranked, I want them to learn how to stop an 80+ yard drvie against an average offense with the game on the line, other than by having Lee Evans drop an easy TD pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
If 34 is employed say Hello to 'ol friend Jermaine Cunningham

He'll probably end up being another Ron Brace, good build for his position, but can't do worth a crap.

Give me Ahmad Brooks, Colston, Lloyd, one of the top CB's and Goldson OR Griffin and I;m happy.... how much is the cap again.... haha, we can dream

I'd be happy with a a top CB or SF and Colston or Lloyd. The rest can be used for number crunching, plug in, value guys.

The defense took the field with 92 yards behind them and a stop meant a SB Win.
Sure they let up 6 points, but they let up the 6 that was the difference between a Champoinship and not.
Belittle that if you wish, but it cost us a Lombardi.

Oh, and they defended 2 drives in the 4th quarter. Are you saying a TD every other drive is good defense?
The first one was a 11 play 49 yard drive that started at our 8 took up 5 minutes and pinned us at our 8. The second one was an 88 yard drive in 9 plays that didn't even get to a single 3rd down.
The drive was
incomplete
6 TD

You could only argue 3 plays were reasonably effective, all were on first down and all were followed by allowing a 1st or TD on 2nd.
You pretty much can't play defense worse than that.

Aside from the 57 second drive with 1 TO our offense have one 4t quarter drive. It started at the 8 took 5:38 off the clock, drove 48 yards and flipped field position to the Giant 12, and would have iced the game if not for Welkers drop.

It is totally assinine to say the offense was worse than the defense in the 4th quarter.

Also I could give a crap where they are ranked, I want them to learn how to stop an 80+ yard drvie against an average offense with the game on the line, other than by having Lee Evans drop an easy TD pass.

offense can't score or sustain a drive, and the defense allows one touchdown (albeit a gimme touchdown to give Brady some time) yet the defense cost us the game? Lets give Eli and the Giants a lot of credit, they made some great plays but if you told me the defense would only allow 21 points in the entire game I would most definitely like our odds. Like I said before, though neither the offense nor the defense is complete. The difference between a middle of the pack defense and a top 10 defense are 3 and outs. Look at the niners defensive play in the second half of the giants game. Eli under pressure every play and throwing the ball up for grabs multiple times.

offense can't score or sustain a drive, and the defense allows one touchdown (albeit a gimme touchdown to give Brady some time) yet the defense cost us the game? Lets give Eli and the Giants a lot of credit, they made some great plays but if you told me the defense would only allow 21 points in the entire game I would most definitely like our odds. Like I said before, though neither the offense nor the defense is complete. The difference between a middle of the pack defense and a top 10 defense are 3 and outs. Look at the niners defensive play in the second half of the giants game. Eli under pressure every play and throwing the ball up for grabs multiple times.

What game were you watching?
The defense let the Giants walk right down the field on the game ending drive.
You want to say that isn't their fault because on the Patriots only drive all they did was take 6 minutes of the clock flip field position from -8 to +12 and would have iced the game if Welker didnt drop the pass?
Does a defense have any responsiblilty to make plays when the game is on the line in your world?
If they hadn't allowed a 50 yard time consuming drvie from the 8 yard line on the other possession Welkers catch wouldn't have been needed, and Brady would have had 3 1/2 minutes to get the game winning drive instead of 57 seconds.

Eli Manning in the 4th quarter was 10-14-118 and was sacked zero times.
Yeah, the D was great:rolleyes::rolleyes:

In a tight game field position can be almost as important as points. The Giants didn't have a drive of less than 9 plays. They won the field position game within the game from their first drive to there last drive. Not one 3 and out. Not once did they have to punt from deep in there own end and give the Pats offense decent field position, not once.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference