PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perspective: I'll Take The Pats' Status This Morning Versus Any Other NFL Team's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Perspective: I'll Take The Pats' Status This Morning Versus Any Other NFL Team'

McCourty needs to go to safety and play with Wilson. Dowling, Arrington and Dennard need to be the CBs with Dennard and Dowling starting. Moore and Ebner can be the bench guys. Chung is done hopefully.
Dowling, post hip surgery, is even worse than Arrington. Or did you fail to realize that Dowling lost his starting job at right cornerback to Arrington during training camp?

McCourty is the best left cornerback on the roster.

Re: Perspective: I'll Take The Pats' Status This Morning Versus Any Other NFL Team'

Fair but I just worry that come the playoffs when the D needs a big stop they will not get it. I agree that the losses could easily have been wins but the naked eye tests tells me that our secondary needs to be revamped.

McCourty needs to go to safety and play with Wilson. Dowling, Arrington and Dennard need to be the CBs with Dennard and Dowling starting. Moore and Ebner can be the bench guys. Chung is done hopefully.

I really like our D line and LBs and the offense will only get better. Hopefully Bolden is OK and Vereen can come back too. Also crossing my fingers that Lloyd is good to go.

I think the AFC is winnable as Houston and Baltimore have significant holes due to injuries. But in the SB if we play NYG or Atlanta our secondary will get eviscerated. Imagine them trying to cover Gonzalez, Jones and White or Cruz, Hicks, Hixon and Bennett....ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrington at CB over McCourty? Are you out of your mind? McCourty isn't a world beater to say the least but he has been relatively solid.

you guys remind me of the 2008 chargers when they went 8-8

they had i believe 6 of the 8 wins as blowouts, and they lost 8 games by a combined 34 points and won 8 games by a combined 126 points

they went on to host the 12-4 colts in the playoffs due to being a division winner (and people freaked out because of that) and they beat the colts anyway

then got pretty hammered at pitt the next week

It's just one week. Do you know any defenses that go an entire season without a couple bad games?

One team is 5-1 the other is 4-2. And one plays in a division that may be weaker than ours. At this point we have nothing on either team. It'll be up to us to prove it later in the season.
Seriously, Patsy? Our pass defense was horrible last year (31st in the league, wasn't it?) and what we are seeing so far this year is a continuation, despite the fact that our front seven appears to be getting more pressure on the opposing QB. How many games can you watch us make opposing quarterbacks who are backups and rookies look like the second coming of Joe Montana, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young and Johnny Unitas all morphed into one guy?

Don't our losses seem to be taking on a pattern, the same pattern we saw in the last two Super Bowls when we couldn't hold a 4th quarter lead?

We used to be the team that would come back in the 4th quarter and steal victory from the jaws of defeat. Now we seem to specialize in stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Last edited:

Arrington at CB over McCourty? Are you out of your mind? McCourty isn't a world beater to say the least but he has been relatively solid.

I think some people here don't comprehend:

A) exactly how bad Arrington is at coverage. He has no business starting in the NFL
B) that McCourty has actually been pretty good. Even when passes were completed against him yesterday, he wasn't getting burned. I wish he'd make more aggressive plays on the ball, but at least he's not physically overmatched like Arrington is.

Seriously, Patsy? Our pass defense was horrible last year (31st in the league, wasn't it?) and what we are seeing so far this year is a continuation, despite the fact that our front seven appears to be getting more pressure on the opposing QB. How many games can you watch us make opposing quarterbacks who are backups and rookies look like the second coming of Joe Montana, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young and Johnny Unitas all morphed into one guy?

Don't our losses seem to be taking on a pattern, the same pattern we saw in the last two Super Bowls when we couldn't hold a 4th quarter lead?

We used to be the team that would come back in the 4th quarter and steal victory from the jaws of defeat. Now we seem to specialize in stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.

My post is referring to SF and Houston's defense, not ours. People were crapping on their defenses for one bad performance hence my post.

As for our defense I agree it's pitiful and that's part of the reason I have alot of trouble putting our team ahead of Houston and SF right now, among other teams possibly.

My post is referring to SF and Houston's defense, not ours. People were crapping on their defenses for one bad performance hence my post.

As for our defense I agree it's pitiful and that's part of the reason I have alot of trouble putting our team ahead of Houston and SF right now, among other teams possibly.

in defense of the texans and 49ers

they were playing legitamate superbowl mvp qbs

Last edited:

I wouldn't diss Atlanta just because they won a close one against Oakland

Even good teams have days where they play bad.....what separates good teams from elite teams are the teams that play bad and still WIN,which Baltimore and Atlanta did yesterday.

Atlanta is the best team in the NFL with 6-0,until beaten they will remain the best....

I don't think its fair to say they are paper tigers....they would probably defeat the Pats easily at this point,Ryan is a hell of a QB,not perfect but VERY good.

I think some people here don't comprehend:

A) exactly how bad Arrington is at coverage. He has no business starting in the NFL
B) that McCourty has actually been pretty good. Even when passes were completed against him yesterday, he wasn't getting burned. I wish he'd make more aggressive plays on the ball, but at least he's not physically overmatched like Arrington is.

McCourty has mostly been solid this year. Not elite, but good enough. His problem is that he gives up one big play in a game and people talk about how he gets burnt on every play.

It is the Matt Light Syndrome. Matt Light would go the entire game without letting his guy in the same area code as Brady and then he gives up one sack and people call him a turnstile. McCourty gets the same treatment.

Arrington, on the other hand, has been beaten so many times that I think he might be into S&M or something.

I'll Take The Pats' Status This Morning Versus Any Other NFL Team

Wrong!

Since the second quarter of the Baltimore Ravens game, the New England Patriots defensive secondary has been completely torched. It's either feast or famine, long receptions or interceptions, with long receptions alot more prevalent in the last two football games than interceptions (0).

Apparently Ngata tore his MCL for the Ravens as well, but is planning on playing through it. Yikes.

Apparently Ngata tore his MCL for the Ravens as well, but is planning on playing through it. Yikes.

Is that the same injury Mayo had in '09? I remember he came back after like 4 weeks and we felt THAT was too early, he wasn't very effective that year.

Wow. Webb, Lewis, AND Ngata will be hobbled. They better pray Suggs comes back full strength.

it's just a sprain

damn, either that's a gameplanning thing and ngata isn't really going to play, or ngata is a warrior

3 Losses by a total of 4 points.

Against teams that are a combined 13-5.

Have only 3 more true road games left this season.

It's a young team. Who would you rather be?

HOUSTON lost Cushing for the year and gave up 42 points at home to a visiting team that came in 2-3.

BALTIMORE lost Webb and Lewis for the season and survived TWO LAST MINUTE failings by the visiting Cowboys.

ATLANTA is a paper tiger 6-0 and was exceptionally lucky to squeak by the Oakland
FREAKING Raiders yesterday on a last second 55 yard FG.

SAN FRANCISCO got blown to smithereens on their own field yesterday.

Please, someone tell me what other team would you rather trade places with this morning?

I wouldn't trade places with any team.. i am a pats fan. But measured up against these teams. I think the pats have the biggest glaring exploitable weakness of all 5 teams and that weakness is magnified even more given our biggest strength.

We mocked the Colts teams of the mid 2000's but at least they [played complimentary football. Their offense would sling it around and put up points and their defense would just come at you playing the pass, they gave up a tonne of rushing yards but that never really caught up with them as people were always throwing to catch up.

I think we have the best offense off the 5 but the worst defense. San Fran is the most balanced team i see out there followed closely by the Texans.

As crazy as it sounds, I don't see a Ravens defense minus Webb, Lewis, and Suggs and with a hobbled Ngata to be any better if at all than what the Pats are putting out there. If Ngata can't play at a high level, then Ed Reed is the only guy on that team that worries me.

damn, either that's a gameplanning thing and ngata isn't really going to play, or ngata is a warrior

.....or Stupid

Ngata isn't a young chicken anymore,nor is he 150lbs....further damage to that knee by playing on it could shorten his career.

HOUSTON lost Cushing for the year and gave up 42 points at home to a visiting team that came in 2-3.

BALTIMORE lost Webb and Lewis for the season and survived TWO LAST MINUTE failings by the visiting Cowboys.

ATLANTA is a paper tiger 6-0 and was exceptionally lucky to squeak by the Oakland

Please, someone tell me what other team would you rather trade places with this morning?
The New York Giants. They have an decent offense and a considerably better defense than the Patriots. They just beat the hell out of a very good 49ers team away from home.

Last edited:

Well said! This team is going to have some growing pains. We can't expect to play perfect every single week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back