PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perspective: I'll Take The Pats' Status This Morning Versus Any Other NFL Team's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Perspective: I'll Take The Pats' Status This Morning Versus Any Other NFL Team'

Agreed but if Bradshaw and Nicks go down and both are very injury prone then its Atlanta or SF.

ATLANTA?

No.

Don't be dazzled by the stats. They may be the worst 6-0 team in NFL history.

They've already played EVERY AFC West team. You can check it out.

Their combined opponents' record so far is 11-21. (OK, 11-15 without their wins).

They were lucky to beat Oakland AT HOME yesterday on a last second 55 yd FG.

Atlanta is a paper tiger of epic proportion.

Last edited:
Re: Perspective: I'll Take The Pats' Status This Morning Versus Any Other NFL Team'

3 Losses by a total of 4 points.

Against teams that are a combined 13-5.

That just goes to show we can't beat good teams...not a stat i like to see

ATLANTA?

No.

Don't be dazzled by the stats. They may be the worst 6-0 team in NFL history.

They've already played EVERY AFC West team. You can check it out.

Their combined opponents' record so far is 11-21. (OK, 11-15 without their wins).

They were lucky to beat Oakland AT HOME yesterday on a last second 55 yd FG.

Atlanta is a paper tiger of epic proportion.

I don't disagree but their offensive talent with Turner, Gonzalez, Jones and White is certainly impressive. I am curious how the Pats D would fare against them. Our O would score 42 but would our D give up 45? Sigh.........

It's just one week. Do you know any defenses that go an entire season without a couple bad games?

One team is 5-1 the other is 4-2. And one plays in a division that may be weaker than ours. At this point we have nothing on either team. It'll be up to us to prove it later in the season.

Was this about where we are right NOW?

You know the answer to that.

It is about how the teams are set up for the next 10 games.

Houston may very well be 5-1 - - great. In the first game Post-Cushing, they gave up 42 points on their home field.

SF may be 4-2. Great. They got blown out yesterday on their home field 26-3, with their best offensive play coming from 99 year old Randy Moss.

I'll take how the young Patriots are positioned for the rest of the season with their remaining 3 true road games and their 3 last second losses to 13-5 teams by a combined 4 points.

Yesterday showed us a few things.

The first is that the no-huddle is still a work in progress. Two weeks in a row now BB has screwed up near the end of the half. That only means we have room to grow with it and will have a more polished product in the back end of the year. At times, however, our O looked completely unstoppable playing in the rain, away, against one of the best D's in the nation with one of the best crowds. We lost by a point in week 6. Taking a step back from the way we lost, this is one that isn't too hard to deal with.

Our secondary is still feeling out who to play where.

Arrington got replaced fairly early yesterday by Dennard.

Wilson showed he needs to be out there with a veteran safety. The last play was his fault but the fact Gregory, Chung, and Moore were out wasn't.

McCourtey got burned near the end of the game but looked decent at times.

Hopefully over the next few weeks we can learn where the best spot for everybody is and start sending out personnel groupings that know how to play together. Maybe they will start turning their heads around more once they know their position in the scheme better and where their teammates will be around them.

McCourtey got burned near the end of the game but looked decent at times.

He didn't even get burned. he was in position to make the play..but it was a perfect ball and a perfect catch

I'd still say Houston and SF are in better shape than us right now. The only major loss is Cushing which I think can be made up for eventually. Most importantly those guys are in the DRIVER'S SEAT for a first round bye at the least, we do not control our own destiny there we'll need help and will have to win a vast majority of the remainder if not all. Most likely we are going to be playing on WC weekend and needing to win 4 straight games against the league's best instead of 3, which history has shown is still good chance of happening, but you're odds are better if you only have to win 3.

Atlanta I won't buy them until they at least win a playoff game. Pretenders until proven otherwise 3 straight one and dones. Baltimore would suffer a huge loss with Webb, has that been confirmed that he's done? And Bmore cannot stop the run, unless they have a miraculous turnaround on D like the '06 Colts they are going nowhere despite how good Flacco is playing. The Giants and Packers have a very very tough road ahead, be suprised if they manage a bye.

How can u say that SF is better than us? They got embarassed @ home. Houston's still pretty good. But their schedule will ultimately do them end. The key to beating them is stopping the run & make them play from behind. Houston's offense can be very one dimensional @ times. I'm not worried about the Ravens at all. The AFC & NFC are both up in the air this season. The Giants are still to hot & cold for me. Just as the 49ers,Cowboys,Seahawks,Cardinals,Packers,Vikings,Bears,Eagles & Lions. Atlanta don't scare me not one bit either. All the Pats have to do is get to the playoffs & anything can happen. We just need to find a way to excercise these freaking close game demons!

Last edited:

Hate to say it but NYG are probably the best team in the league

Absolutely. They just smashed the team that just blitzed through our division like a hot knife through butter... on the road no less.

Defeats against good teams will be a learning experience for the Pats,its better to lose now than in the playoffs, I just hope the Pats learn from these loses and are Battle tested come playoff time

Was this about where we are right NOW?

You know the answer to that.

It is about how the teams are set up for the next 10 games.

Houston may very well be 5-1 - - great. In the first game Post-Cushing, they gave up 42 points on their home field.

SF may be 4-2. Great. They got blown out yesterday on their home field 26-3, with their best offensive play coming from 99 year old Randy Moss.

I'll take how the young Patriots are positioned for the rest of the season with their remaining 3 true road games and their 3 last second losses to 13-5 teams by a combined 4 points.

It goes both ways though. Losing close games means you didn't look as bad but it also means that you're constently having trouble closing them out. Not sure if that's a positive sign for the playoffs. No, I don't know for SURE who's the better team right now, or who is better suited to succeed later on nor do you. That will all be decided. At the end of the day they're ahead of us in the standings and in better position to earn a bye.

How can u say that SF is better than us? They got embarassed @ home. Houston's still pretty good. But their schedule will ultimately do them end. The key to beating them is stopping the run & make them play from behind. Houston's offense can be very one dimensional @ times. I'm not worried about the Ravens at all. The AFC & NFC are both up in the air this season. The Giants are still to hot & cold for me. Just as the 49ers,Cowboys,Seahawks,Cardinals,Packers,Vikings,Bears,Eagles & Lions. Atlanta don't scare me not one bit either. All the Pats have to do is get to the playoffs & anything can happen. We just need to find a way to excercise these freaking close game demons!

I never said they are better than us I said they're in better shape than us right now. We haven't proven anything to be able to say that we are better than all these teams, more impressive, or in better status.

I would say the Patriots, Packers, and Giants all have the best shot at the SB right now. Ravens are going to field a downright terrible defense the rest of the way. Texans have concerned me for awhile with a passing game that gets by on reputation and not production. The loss of Cushing is huge.

If I had to put my money on a team, it would be the Giants. They can go into a tough atmosphere and dominate. The Patriots are incapable of doing that. They can get a team against a wall like the Giants, but then their defense is incapable of making the quarterback powerless.

the characteristic that will destroy this team is the ability to blow a multi-score lead at the end of the game. even against russell wilson.......are you kidding me? he's mediocre at best. but as long as ANYONE can simply put the ball up for grabs and have a better than 50% success rate dooms this team.

this is the way its going to play out......the pats are going to pistol whip the jets at home and everyone will be happy again. they will then beat the rams in a very uninspiring game and all the happy people will say 'a win is a win'

they go through their bye and then beat the bills and colts.....7-3 and on a 'roll' .... this is where talk of running the table will begin.

they will split the jets/dolphins away games most likely due to tannehill throwing for 450 yards

they will then split with the niners and texans. and then win out. and there will be talk of how the pats are this year's giants, they will win their wild card game, and then go to houston and lose to the texans while some important player on the pats blows out his knee on that moronic turf down there.

then eveyrone besides brady and belichik will be blamed for this, but there will be a few out there calling it a rebuilding year.

then it will be time to talk draft again

Lets see....
NYG, SF, BAL, CHI, HOU to name five - why? Because those teams have defenses. The fanboys and fantasy geeks seem to have forgotten about defense ever since the 2007 when the fantasy geeks and fanboys got little Bradys in their pants given all the offensive STATS....what'd it mean in the end? NOTHING but a bunch of fantasy stats.....Including the 2007 season this record setting offense has a 4-4 record in the playoffs and a big DOUGHNUT 0-2 in the Super Bowl. Why? They met a team with a defense/pass rush in those two games and quarterback who makes plays in the clutch...I cannot believe how some Pats fans are making light of this team. Do you people watch the same games as me? Yeah, three losses by 6 or 7 points - whatever. This team is in a four way tie for first place with three teams 90% of the fanboys on this forum were laughing at prior to the start of the season.
No lead is safe with this secondary/pass rush - they are two Willis McGahee errors away from being 2-4...

Any of the NFC teams may have a lot tougher road to the Super Bowl, because IMO if we assume the Ravens are about to fall off a cliff with their injuries, only Houston and (hopefully) us are overall more solid than any of the 6 teams making the NFC playoffs.

Long way to go, though.

But a top 2 seed is imperative, because it may mean not having to face a top 10 team until the AFCCG, the way things are going. Any NFC team may have to beat two other top ten teams to make it to New Orleans.

Any of the NFC teams may have a lot tougher road to the Super Bowl, because IMO if we assume the Ravens are about to fall off a cliff with their injuries, only Houston and (hopefully) us are overall more solid than any of the 6 teams making the NFC playoffs.

Long way to go, though.

But a top 2 seed is imperative, because it may mean not having to face a top 10 team until the AFCCG, the way things are going. Any NFC team may have to beat two other top ten teams to make it to New Orleans.

Pats won't be getting a top 2 seed this year. They will have to go on the road in the playoffs and win a big game if they want a SB win..which is something i don't think they can do

Pats won't be getting a top 2 seed this year. They will have to go on the road in the playoffs and win a big game if they want a SB win..which is something i don't think they can do
I hope you don't think that it's a lock that the Texans & Ravens will win the top 2 seeds in the AFC. The cards always fall in NE's way to get HFA. It's just the way it is.

That's alot of certitude you have for two teams that:

1) In their first post-Cushing game had 42 points put up against them AT HOME.

2) Lost Ray Lewis and LaDarius Webb for the season.

Gretzky didn't skate to where the pucks was. He skated to where it was going to be.

The trends look worse for both the Texans and Ravens. The Patriots could lose key personnel also - - they haven't yet.

Pretty clear at this point that the Patriots need to improve. The secondary is young and it is not unreasonable to hope they can do so, although they have been a frustrating group to watch the last couple of seasons. I hope Hightower comes back healthy soon.

The offense can clearly move the ball against anyone. Consistancy is a problem. The line neds to show they can push bodies when they have to. The QB is one of the greatest ever, but I think he needs to settle down a little and use his head more and passion less.

This is a good football team but they have not become a group of winners - yet. I will keep rooting for it to happen.

I'd take the status of a team that has a functional secondary and/or pass rush, this morning. Going forward, the Texans, 49ers, Giants, and Falcons are all clearly in a better place than the Pats are. Also, the threat of Brandon Lloyd being out for a while is a really big deal - it would make the current WR corps even worse than last year's. This is exactly why so many of us were baffled by cutting Gaffney.

Bottom line: the Patriots D needs to prove that it can hold a two-score lead in the fourth quarter. If they can't do that even against crappy offenses like Seattle's, then how much faith can you reasonably have in the team as a whole?

The Ravens, though, might be screwed. Webb and Lewis being out could basically cripple that defense, and force Joe Flacco to start winning shoot outs. I'm skeptical that he can do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back