PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perhaps Barker Is A Reasonable #9 OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose that Barker should be included in the discussion regarding the 9th OL roster spot. If Solder is injured, belichick's preference might be to have a backup LT ready to step in, rather than move Vollmer. Maybe Belichick trusts Cannon at LT perhaps not.

OL ISSUES
1) The rookies looked good enough to believe that they can be backups this year.
2) The health of Wendell has Belichick looking for a backup, or emergency center. Andrews and Groy meer that need.
3) As I indicated, perhaps Belichick would like to consider keeping Barker, an emergency LT who could also backup at LG.
4) Finally, perhaps Belichick would rather keep someone (Kline) who has already started at LG. After all, we have no sure fire starter at LG.

BOTTOM LINE
Assuming that our top 8 are healthy, the open question is how much we need any additions. We could add a LT/LG, an OG/OC or an LG/RG.

Kline, Groy, or 8 OL please.

no devey!
I don't see Devey making the team this year. Not with Shaq and Tre here now.I'm assuming Groy also make it but I don't have an opinion on his performance from last night as the whole line sucked for the 2nd 1/2. Anybody have one?

We need to know who are #3 center is. We need to know who our #2 and #3 LT are.

#3 center would go to either Andrews/Kline, in my opinion. I suppose a guy like Barker could make it, although he gave up 2 sacks last night and didn't stand out in a good way.

#2 LT is clearly Vollmer moving over to the left side, as neither Cannon or Fleming would be ready for that role.

#3 LT would be stuck with experimenting between Cannon and Fleming.

I'd like to see Barker and Andrews some more in preseason, but with some veta in the line with them.

There is just no way you can judge the line with the collection of odds and sods we lined up Thursday. Linemen depend on teamwork.

The key issues are who is starting at LG and whether Barker is good enough to develop at LT.

#3 center would go to either Andrews/Kline, in my opinion...
Groy started one game at Center in 2011, and I ass-ume practiced there often enough that year to become at least proficient in the position. I would rather see him trained at backup Center (as well as compete for the starting LG) than see another Center-only midget like Andrews take up space on the 53.
Place Andrews on waivers, then sign him to the PS when (not if) he clears.

I fell like this is one of the most open battles in camp.

I think it can be said all things being equal the following guys are safe

Solder Jackson Stork Mason Vollmer Flemming Cannon Wendell

I think Baker, Kline, Groy and Andrews all have a shot. It will be one of the most interesting battles to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back