PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Penn State's Tim Shaw: ILB prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Shaw has played every Lb position in his college career and started at rush DE this season, where he had 7 passes defensed 7 sacks and 8 tackles for loss. He's spent a season fighting off blocks, so he has alot of experience disengaging vs. O-lineman, something most of the 3-4 ILB prospects in this draft do not. That experience seems like it would give him a great head start for transitioning to ILB in the 3-4 in the NFL. He is exactly the same size as Posluszny without the injury background and with more versatility, though less pure speed. He obviously has athleticism vs. the pass as evidenced by his 7 deflected passes. As a 2nd-4th rd pick, does anyone have any thoughts on Shaw's potential at 3-4 ILB? His profile of versatility, toughness, team first attitude, and pass rush skills make him seem like an ideal Patriot prospect, a kind of Bruschi-lite.

Last edited:
Shaw has played every Lb position in his college career and started at rush DE this season, where he had 7 passes defensed 7 sacks and 8 tackles for loss. He's spent a season fighting off blocks, so he has alot of experience disengaging vs. O-lineman, something most of the 3-4 ILB prospects in this draft do not. That experience seems like it would give him a great head start for transitioning to ILB in the 3-4 in the NFL. He is exactly the same size as Posluszny without the injury background and with more versatility, though less pure speed. He obviously has athleticism vs. the pass as evidenced by his 7 deflected passes. As a 2nd-4th rd pick, does anyone have any thoughts on Shaw's potential at 3-4 ILB? His profile of versatility, toughness, team first attitude, and pass rush skills make him seem like an ideal Patriot prospect, a kind of Bruschi-lite.

When I was watching Posluzny this past season to see his knee's recovery, it was Shaw who kept making plays all over the field.

The initial knock on him would appear to be his size, he needs about 10 more pounds to handle the abuse. Is his frame capable of handling that increase without compromising anymore speed/quickness? The DE role may work against him too, I never watched him so I can't say, but how well did he stand up to the run setting the edge? That's where the most crucial evaulation will take place, can he meet a G, TE, or FB in the hole, stacking and shedding them, or twisting by them (Bruschi style) to make the tackle or at least plug the hole? I didn't watch much Penn State so I can't answer the question. I'll assume a Penn State MLB knows a little about directing a defense, and his versatility being used in different roles speaks to his intelligence and athleticism.

Im going to agree with the Original poster. As much as I have been pushing Poz, for most of the season, the defense relied on Shaw and Junior Dan COnnor to make plays. Shaw was quiet for the first game (if i recall correctly) but was constantly in the backfield every other game. I like most of the dudes on the PSU team, they seem like real stand up guys.

I've followed Shaw his whole career. He started out as a rb. The recruiting guru on the psu msg. board thinks he can run sub 4.5. He really was played out of position this year to help the team. He kept his mouth shut. And did the job. Even though it may not have been the best thing for him. He earned a lot of admiration from myself. Might be a good lb in nickel defense. Then, figure out what he does best later.

Another guy to watch for from the PSU defense is Alford. He'd be a perfect 3-4 DE. Wouldn't shock me a bit if the Pats picked him in Round 3. Destroyed Tennessee in Outback Bowl and did a number on OSU too. PSU was only trailing OSU 14-6 and had the ball with about 5 min left and threw 2 int's that were returned for td's.

Name: Tim Shaw
College: Penn State Number: 20
Height: 6-1 Weight: 235
Position: OLB Pos2: Pass Rush End
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 4.65 40 Low: 4.58 40 High: 4.73
Projected Round: 3-4
Rated number 7 out of 215 OLB's 112/2338 TOTAL

Analysis

Positives: Has a compact, solid frame with good upper body development, broad shoulders, thick chest, good bubble, tapered thighs and thick hamstrings...Shows good straight-line quickness and the arm extension to shed blocks...Has excellent straight-line speed, showing suddenness in his initial move off the ball and gets to top speed quickly effective short area pass defender because of his foot speed to stay with most receivers through their routes...Not the type who will take poor angles in pursuit, showing the closing burst needed to neutralize the cutback lanes...Has lined up at middle linebacker, right outside linebacker and left defensive end and never complained about the moves, putting team success above personal accolades...Attacks the ball with good urgency due to his ability to quickly break down plays in front of him...Very quick coming off the snap, staying low in his pads while generating quick lateral movements to string the plays wide...Has the natural ability to anticipate the flow of the ball...Shows the hand strength to shed blocks quickly, doing a nice job of extending to keep blockers from attacking his body, but needs to do this with more consistency...Stays at a proper pad level to extend, wrap and secure as a tackler and consistently keeps his legs moving on contact, doing a nice job of driving the ball carrier back ...Shows explosive acceleration when closing and has a natural flow in his backpedal...Has good strength to jolt and redirect tight ends in pass routes and plays bigger than his size indicates, demonstrating good physicality in his game...Demonstrates that ease of movement getting to the ball when working in space and the leg drive and strength to get the ball carrier on the ground instantly...Does a good job of coming downhill, using his hands to shed when working near the line of scrimmage, which allows him to fill the rush lane...Plays with good leverage taking on blocks coming off the edge...Has the speed and burst to head off ball carriers along the corners...His acceleration and power lets him get a strong push off the blocker...Needs to stay active with his hands to prevent getting absorbed working inside, but he gives good effort as a blitzer, especially when attacking from the back side, making him a better fit for inside linebacker.

Negatives: Has some stiffness in his hips that affects his lateral and change of direction agility, but is very combative in attempts to slip off blocks and string plays wide...Shaw is played out of position on the defensive line and might be a bit shorter than ideal for the outside linebacker position, but could be a nice fit at middle linebacker, as he compensates with good explosion coming off the ball and above average power behind his hits...Does not have the bulk to prevent from being engulfed by the larger offensive tackles when playing as a down lineman...Not used much in pass coverage and needs to show he has the ability to locate the ball when working in the deeper areas of the zone...Has more than enough functional strength to take on blocks and shed, but must be more alert to low blocks to protect his body from double teams...His change of direction skills might not let him cover large portions of the field, but he runs to the ball well and has the hand usage to slip off passive blocks.

Last edited:
I've followed Shaw his whole career. He started out as a rb. The recruiting guru on the psu msg. board thinks he can run sub 4.5. He really was played out of position this year to help the team.

That is a pretty wild claim. I am not saying you are not telling the truth, but that is a wild one. Most have him around 4.58-4.6. A 4.49 or < would be crazy. We will see at the combine. If so, his stock will go way up.

That is a pretty wild claim. I am not saying you are not telling the truth, but that is a wild one. Most have him around 4.58-4.6. A 4.49 or < would be crazy. We will see at the combine. If so, his stock will go way up.

I TIVO'd the NFL Network today. Got to watch the olb and dl. Shaw worked out great. Poz is still a better football player. But, Shaw put on a show. Willis' 4.49 probably means he's gone before 24. If we don't pick up a pass-rusher early. I'd like to have Shaw at 90. He could be a situation pass rusher in our nickel package. And, showed he's fast enough to cover too.

I TIVO'd the NFL Network today. Got to watch the olb and dl. Shaw worked out great. Poz is still a better football player. But, Shaw put on a show. Willis' 4.49 probably means he's gone before 24. If we don't pick up a pass-rusher early. I'd like to have Shaw at 90. He could be a situation pass rusher in our nickel package. And, showed he's fast enough to cover too.
Trouble is he's at least 10 pounds too light.

lol let me guess that shaw didnt run a 4.49.

I watched him doing the drills and he is certainly not going to play DE in the NFL, however he doesn't look he has the size to be a Middle Linebacker, especially in the Patriots system (in the 3-4, the Middle linebacker must fend of guards, as opposed to a 4-3 MLB, who usually has to deal with the Center coming out after him). I don't think the kid has the strength to fend off the 320 lbs Offensive Guards that now populate the NFL.

He looks like he will be better suited for OLB or an ILB in the 4-3, bets are he will be at the very least a ST demon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST