PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pay Asante

Status
Not open for further replies.
He put himself in the Clements contact category last night and he's going to go for every nickle. Let's hope it's to the NFC.

Regrettably the likelihood of keeping Asante is quite dim. He's our best DB no question. You never see opponents attacking his side, and when they do he jumps the route and makes big plays.

I didn't think they should let Ty Law walk, and I'm going to go on the record I don't think they should let Asante walk either.

Isn't he getting paid? He is under the franchise tag, which matches the highest salary for that position. Lock him up in a nice contract, but enough with these "get paid" threads.
The getting paid focus is for next season, not this season.

Asante deserves big money and he WILL get it.

Just not from us.

The Patriots were built by paying players less money than their talent is worth on the FA market. This allows us to field more talent than other teams that are bound by the same salary cap.

Asante, like Nate Clements before him, will be offered substantially more money than his talent is worth.

If we are going to continue winning Superbowls on a consistent basis, we need to let Asante walk.

Actually, I submit that the Pats were built into the dynasty that they are not because they underpay players as you suggest but rather because they don't grossly overpay for unproductive players like most other teams do.

Teams don't get into salary cap hell by paying top dollars for productive players. The quickest way to mediocrity in a capped league like the NFL is to overpay for non performance. Thankfully the Pats rarely do this.

I think it's plainly obvious to most that Samuel is this teams best defensive player. The Pats have shown that they will pay top dollar for top performing players so I fail to understand why they wouldn't in this case!

He has proven that last year was not a fluke.

If anything, his value has gone up since last year.

Lets face it, the Pats will have some tough decisions to make. We will lose at least one LB to retirement. Pats will likely go to the FA market for a replacement, since that seems to be the way they appoach that position. I dont see them letting Moss go. Can they afford both Moss and Asante? I dunno. Maybe if they let Stallworth go?

Asante like every other player will be offered a fair and decent, but not obscene amount of money.

There will be other teams that offer him more money than the Pats.

Asante will then choose if he want to make a 1 or 2 million dollars a year more to play a month less of football or if he will take a little less cash for the opportunity to play football in January.

Asante like every other player will be offered a fair and decent, but not obscene amount of money.

Asante will then choose if he want to make a 1 or 2 million dollars a year more to play a month less of football or if he will take a little less cash for the opportunity to play football in January.

In which case he will take the money.

He is very strong in his beliefs that he wants to be paid the most he can get.

It's probably going to come down to the dollars.
Sounds to me like Asante has had enough of winning and just wants to cash in now.
Sadly, I think Asante will be leaving via free agency for the almighty $$.

I'm not sure there's a lot of value to the back & forth here. Samuel has evolved, over the past couple of seasons, into a top CB. He's got great instincts, and real nose for the ball. But like always, the Pats will have to determine whether they can pencil in a huge salary for that slot over the next, say, 4 years. I used to think they definitely would not; now I think there's a chance they might. I guess the question is if his $$$ goes up, where does it go down? Maybe Colvin, I dunno.

i woudl be willing to pay him 8mil a year for like 6 yrs...

its a lot, but dam...he DID win us the game...

get rid of kelly and stallworth....but u have to keep asante...and i think he would accept that much....why NOT?

i think asante is getting more and more into the pats this yr......he wants to stay here more then he wanted to stay here last yr...and if he gets an above average contract, and 8mi/yr is that....i wanna keep him...

our secondary is gonna suck without him, there i said it, plain and simple

I'm not sure there's a lot of value to the back & forth here. Samuel has evolved, over the past couple of seasons, into a top CB. He's got great instincts, and real nose for the ball. But like always, the Pats will have to determine whether they can pencil in a huge salary for that slot over the next, say, 4 years. I used to think they definitely would not; now I think there's a chance they might. I guess the question is if his $$$ goes up, where does it go down? Maybe Colvin, I dunno.

maybe well only have AD and vrabel on teh outsdie from now on...and no colvin....

If money is number one -- let him walk.

Yes, he has won some games for the Pats, so did Adam V. Team is doing okay without AV.

If Asante demands and get top dollar everyone else will too. Need to stick to the formula of everyone gets paid well, but nobody gets paid top dollar (even Brady.)

Better to let him walks and pick someone else off of FA who want a ring more than money.

i woudl be willing to pay him 8mil a year for like 6 yrs...

its a lot, but dam...he DID win us the game...

get rid of kelly and stallworth....but u have to keep asante...and i think he would accept that much....why NOT?

i think asante is getting more and more into the pats this yr......he wants to stay here more then he wanted to stay here last yr...and if he gets an above average contract, and 8mi/yr is that....i wanna keep him...

our secondary is gonna suck without him, there i said it, plain and simple

The question is whether he would find that figure acceptable.
I think after he saw what Clements got his eyes are filled with $$ signs.
The main thing that will keep Asante out of Pats uni next year is human greed.
If he will take 6/48 or something reasonable, he can remain a Patriot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News