PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats will not draft LB in 1st rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
You lost all credibility by listening to a Cornhusker fan. I know a few of them and they only see red and have become severe fatalists.
:rofl:

blh,
Other then a rueful headshake, what specifics against Bradley could your friend articulate...and was he thinking of him from a 4-3 or 3-4 perspective? Reportedly Bradley was visiting Baltimore and San Diego, both teams whose prowess as picking linebackers has some credibility. I will say that I absolutely hate the idea of taking him in the first, but until BB manages a trade back, I see no other option if the team really wanted him.

my friends' knock on him was the he plays too slow for the nfl. i can't really argue since I've only seen his highlight clips, but my friend thought carriker would make a better LB than bradley-at 290 lbs. bradleys combine numbers/workout reviews are strong, so I could definetly see the pats taking him if he were around in rd 3, or even trading up to T3/B2 if BB saw what he wanted. and yeah, I would have that same feeling about taking any LB not named willis at 24. 28 maybe for beason/harris. although id rather trade down to the second/pickup another 3/4 for our troubles and grab whichever guy is still on the board. don't get me wrong. i like beason/harris as LB for the pats. its just a question of value

my friends' knock on him was the he plays too slow for the nfl. i can't really argue since I've only seen his highlight clips, but my friend thought carriker would make a better LB than bradley-at 290 lbs. bradleys combine numbers/workout reviews are strong, so I could definetly see the pats taking him if he were around in rd 3, or even trading up to T3/B2 if BB saw what he wanted. and yeah, I would have that same feeling about taking any LB not named willis at 24. 28 maybe for beason/harris. although id rather trade down to the second/pickup another 3/4 for our troubles and grab whichever guy is still on the board. don't get me wrong. i like beason/harris as LB for the pats. its just a question of value

I'm a Nebraska fan, trust me Stewart Bradley doesn't play to slow for the NFL. He's actually got pretty decent speed for a guy his size, so that opinion seems pretty funny.

For BOR's sake I'm not getting into Carriker at LB;)

Last edited:
I have a friend, who has a friend, who is an Ole Miss fan. He says that Patrick Willis is totally awesome and we should trade our entire draft for him if we need to.

despite what seems like common theory, i am placing my bets that the pats will not take a LB at 24 or 28, with the exception that willis falls to 24.

OK...but by the same token, I'd guess that the Pats will not take:
- an OT at 24 or 28 unless Staley falls
- a DE at 24 or 28 unless Carriker falls
- a WR at 24 or 28 unless Meachem falls
etc.

Since you make Willis an exception, it seems like what you're really saying is you think he's the only legitimate first-round talent at the position. Which is a very reasonable opinion, but a little different from what I expected from the title of the post. Is it more about how the draft board shakes out than about the position?

I like Meriweather....
We might get him if we move up to a high three from our lower three as yesterdays stuff just cost Mr. Merriweather a ton of $ IMO. No way he is a number one this year.
DW Toys

I'm a Nebraska fan, trust me Stewart Bradley doesn't play to slow for the NFL. He's actually got pretty decent speed for a guy his size, so that opinion seems pretty funny.

For BOR's sake I'm not getting into Carriker at LB;)

To me he looks not so much slow, but slightly awkward and non-instinctive (maybe what he meant by playing slow). I've had very limited viewings though.

OK...but by the same token, I'd guess that the Pats will not take:
- an OT at 24 or 28 unless Staley falls
- a DE at 24 or 28 unless Carriker falls
- a WR at 24 or 28 unless Meachem falls
etc.

Since you make Willis an exception, it seems like what you're really saying is you think he's the only legitimate first-round talent at the position. Which is a very reasonable opinion, but a little different from what I expected from the title of the post. Is it more about how the draft board shakes out than about the position?

Unfortuately, I think it very unlikely legit first round talent will be available at 24. I don't think there's more than 20 guys who grade out as a first rounder, and that's including guys who are a bad fit.

Unfortuately, I think it very unlikely legit first round talent will be available at 24. I don't think there's more than 20 guys who grade out as a first rounder, and that's including guys who are a bad fit.

There does seem to be a little drop off after the top 17-18 guys. Last year's draft might have spoiled us a little, though.

Almost certain to be gone before #24
1) Russell
2) Quinn
3) J.Thomas
4) C.Johnson
5) Peterson
6) G.Adams
7) Landry
8) L.Brown
9) A.Branch
10) Okoye
11) Willis
12) J.Anderson
13) Carriker
14) R.Nelson
15) L.Hall

Almost certain to be 1st round
16) Lynch
17) G.Olsen
18) Ginn
19) J.Moss
20) Revis

There are your 20 guys with 1st round grades. I think there is a solid group following this where the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is the group that will be successful depending on the system they are put into...which may be what you were driving at.

Reasonable chance to be 1st round
21) Bowe
22) Timmons
23) Posluszny
24) C.Johnson
25) Grubbs
26) Spencer
27) C.Houston
28) A.Ross
29) Beason
30) Meacham
31) Harrell
32) Blalock
33) Staley
34) Kalil
35) Jarrett
36) Griffen
37) Merriweather
38) McCauley

Staley and Harrell seem to be gaining some momentum, at least in the media reports (whatever that is worth). But even that is likely not enough to push one of the "elites" down to 24. Except for Lynch which doesn't do us much good except for trading down. So while I initially disagreed with your premise, I kind of see your point now. Either live with that 2nd tier of players (Houston and Griffen wouldn't be so bad) or trade out to the 2nd round for value.

Useful list, Metaphors. From that, I'll cull my list of players I'd spend a Patriots' first on without having to hold my nose too much:

3) J.Thomas
4) C.Johnson
5) Peterson
6) G.Adams
7) Landry
9) A.Branch
10) Okoye
11) Willis
12) J.Anderson
13) Carriker
14) R.Nelson
15) L.Hall
20) Revis
30) Meacham
33) Staley

The chances that one from that list hits #24? At least 50-50, surely. The chance that 2 of them make it to 24 & 28? Mighty slim. That leaves a trade, or a nose-holder -- many of whom are very good football players, just not #1 caliber.

There does seem to be a little drop off after the top 17-18 guys. Last year's draft might have spoiled us a little, though.

one of the national writers recently wrote that the difference between (his) 11-20th ranked players isn't much difference than between the 21-40th best players.

If true, that would favor the argument of trading down one of the first rounders or trading it to next year.

Joe Gibbs also commented on the value of this years second round projected players.

If there is that much parity between the players (excluding the top 10), then that could make for alot of draft day movement (trading of picks). I expect this to be a draft full of surprises.

Draft day seems to be coming even slower than Christmas! :)

What's with this guy? From his first post on here earlier today he's been acting like some type of expert who knows exactly what they will do, then he chides others he claims were acting like "experts"......

It's really Mel Kiper behind that name.

It's really Mel Kiper behind that name.
Biggie! What jail have you been in that doesn't have internet? It's been entirely too peaceful around here.

To me he looks not so much slow, but slightly awkward and non-instinctive (maybe what he meant by playing slow). I've had very limited viewings though.
Now that surprises me, watching him in Senior Bowl scrimmages and then the Senior Bowl, I thought he was very good in the read/react/instinctive category. Not just filling run lanes and getting himself up to the line before the RB, but also in the passing game, tracking receivers out of the backfield and reacting quickly to where the ball was going.

I know these are inadequate, but it's what I have. On the two run tackles he made, the plays were limited to a 1 yd gain and a 1 yd loss. On the screen pass he forced a fumble. He was also able to react quickly enough and take the correct angle to bring down the WR after a toss out to the sideline. All seem to support my impression of an reasonably alert and instinctive LB.
http://www.seniorbowl.com/2007/2007seniorbowlstats.htm
- South 2-4 at South30 Lorenzo Booker rush up middle for 1 yard to the SOUTH31 (Stewart Bradley).
- South 1-10 at South45 Jordan Palmer sideline pass complete to J.L. Higgins for 29 yards to the NORTH26, 1ST DOWN SOUTH (Stewart Bradley).
- South 1-10 at South45 Kevin Kolb screen pass complete to Dallas Baker to the 50 yardline, fumble forced by Stewart Bradley, fumble by Dallas Baker recovered by SOUTH TEAM at 50 yardline, out-of-bounds.
- South 2-7 at South32 Ken Darby rush over left tackle for loss of 1 yard to the SOUTH31 (Stewart Bradley).

I found this note on the Cotton Bowl:
http://www.attcottonbowl.com/news_room/practice_notes.php?uid=10
Nebraska senior linebacker Stewart Bradley forced and recovered a fumble on the same play in the fourth quarter. Bradley recorded a team-leading four fumble recoveries this season. As a team, the Huskers had 13 fumble recoveries this season, with four by Bradley, two by Bo Ruud – including one against Auburn – and one each by seven other Huskers.

NFLDraftScout.com had this recap of his Senior season and career:
Bradley returned to the field fully recovered in 2006. He led the team with a career-high 76 tackles (41 solos) in 14 games, earning All-Big 12 honorable mention. He had one sack, six stops behind the line of scrimmage and five pressures. With his increased range and speed from the knee surgery, he wreaked havoc in the backfield, causing three fumbles while recovering four others.

In 43 games at Nebraska, Bradley started 29 times. He finished with 175 tackles (94 solos), four sacks for minus-31 yards and 25 stops for losses totaling 75 yards. He registered 21 quarterback pressures, deflected three passes and returned an interception 43 yards for a touchdown. He recovered four fumbles and had three forced fumbles.

You saw him as awkward and I instinctive, what little we can take from Stats, he led Nebraska in tackles as a Senior (at SLB), and he led the North All-Stars in tackles. Led Nebraska in FR, and forced three himself. He forced one in the Senior Bowl. Not too flashy, but there is some consistency. I would presume you lead in fumble recoveries by mostly being around the ball. I wish I had some TV or game tape from the regular season to see him in action. But if we went back to my Senior Bowl scrimmage notes, I listed Bradley as one of my right place/right time guys...so I beg to differ. :D

My Stewart Bradley fantasy is just ruined! Thank you very much! :enranged:

Stewart Bradley does not project to a 1st round pick... so I don't see how that affects his post?

If there's no great talent left sitting there, I too would rather see #28 traded for a future pick or a trade down plus adding a future pick.

Stewart Bradley does not project to a 1st round pick... so I don't see how that affects his post?
Nonsense, I projected him as a first round pick in my dream draft for MWP! :D

EDIT: Path to the Draft talking linebackers tonight: Mayock is forecasting Bradley off the board no later then the low 40's! Baldinger was trying to give Bradley to the Jets at 59 during the On The Clock segment, which led to some disagreement between the two pundits as to Bradley being there late second. Baldinger compares Bradley to Vrable and Mayock agrees. Lot's of love for Bradley on the show.

Last edited:
Almost certain to be gone before #24
1) Russell
2) Quinn
3) J.Thomas
4) C.Johnson
5) Peterson
6) G.Adams
7) Landry
8) L.Brown
9) A.Branch
10) Okoye
11) Willis
12) J.Anderson
13) Carriker
14) R.Nelson
15) L.Hall

Almost certain to be 1st round
16) Lynch
17) G.Olsen
18) Ginn
19) J.Moss
20) Revis

There are your 20 guys with 1st round grades. I think there is a solid group following this where the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is the group that will be successful depending on the system they are put into...which may be what you were driving at.

Actually, no. I don't think Lynch, Ginn, or Moss grade out as first rounders. This year they're first rounders because of a weak draft class at the top end. Last year none of them would have gone first round. Maybe not Olsen or Levi Brown either. I would add Meachem, Grubbs, and Houston as first round talents....so I guess I have 20 guys exactly whom I consider legit first rounders.

For some reason, I keep seeing Posluzny in a Pat's uni. I kept thinking the Pats would pick Maroney, and they did. I also called the Andy Katzenmoyer and Hart Lee Dykes picks. I'm not a soothsayer, just get some right once in a while. People keep saying the Pats don't pick for need, they pick the best player vailable, but that hasn't been true the last two years. The Pats knew they had to get deeper on the O-Line in 05 (Mankins and Kaczur) and definately knew Dillon was not going to regain his 2004 touch, so they drafted Maroney, and realized they needed receivers so they drafted Jackson in 06. They definately need LB & DB help, Harrison & the LB's are getting way too old. I would not be suprised to see a LB & DB in the first round. I'd be more suprised by a WR and OLineman picked in the first round, unless it's Meachem & Staley.

...I'll cull my list of players I'd spend a Patriots' first on without having to hold my nose too much:

3) J.Thomas
4) C.Johnson
5) Peterson
6) G.Adams
7) Landry
9) A.Branch
10) Okoye
11) Willis
12) J.Anderson
13) Carriker
14) R.Nelson
15) L.Hall
20) Revis
30) Meacham
33) Staley

The chances that one from that list hits #24? At least 50-50, surely. The chance that 2 of them make it to 24 & 28? Mighty slim. That leaves a trade, or a nose-holder -- many of whom are very good football players, just not #1 caliber.

Those are the two I'm hoping for @ 24. Unfortunately, I don't see our #28 pick on the list (all went bye-bye). Time to consider top-third second round talent for that slot. Certainly doesn't matter to BB where they're all ranked.

patsnutme-dont lecture me on forum conduct if your going to be obnoxious. according to my friend, whos watched every nebraska game the past 4 yrs bradley has been there, his game didnt translate well to the nfl. i personally disagreed based on numbers/what ive seen on tape, but it would make sense to defer to someone who has much more extensive knowledge on a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST