PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign former Jet LB David Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roberts might be better at this point in their careers but this still adds to competition and depth. At the very least Roberts has to earn it and maybe the ring dangling can act as a fountain of youth for DH.

Jetes have become our AA affiliate. This is a solid signing that fills a need. Boosts a unit on D that was very weak and gets another leader in the locker room.

Love this move. I have been hoping they look at him, he fits one of the few remaining needs perfectly. Plus, he's a veteran, never been in trouble and he's missed one game in the last eight seasons. Extremely capable backup at two different spots, though much more Hightower's backup.
Further adds to positional and rotational flexibility. There's really not much to dislike about the signing other than needing a spot exorcism to rid Harris of his green demons.

From BB about two and a half years ago:

“I have a lot of respect for David Harris,” Belichick expressed in December of 2014. “That guy, first of all, he never comes off the field - not just this year but any year. The guy is like a 98, 99 percent playtime player for them every year, year after year. It’s obviously a defense that has a lot of communication and adjustments, and he’s certainly at the center of that. Both as the signal caller and then at the line of scrimmage, you can see him adjusting the front or making some type of communication calls to his teammates. He’s a very instinctive player, which unfortunately we’ve seen that first-hand. He does a good job for them. He’s been very consistent, durable, dependable, productive over a long period of time.”

Patriots sign former Jets LB David Harris to a 2-year deal

I like the signing.. As others have mentioned, Harris is still a solid tackler. He's extremely smart. He also doesn't have an ego the way some players do. I don't remember Harris ever running his mouth when it came to the Patriots "hatred". I think he's going to bed a great fit here and should help keep D'onte Hightower fresh..

BTW, we've got 2 DHs in the LB corps now..

Here's an article about Jets players talking about him after he was cut.

Richardson, other Jets, already miss leader Harris

"Throughout his 10-year career with the Jets, Harris shied away from publicity. Rather than seek out the spotlight, he immersed himself in film work, outworked guys in the weight room and cultivated close ties within the Jets brotherhood. And truth be told, it always bothered Richardson that Harris never got his just do.
“He was an underrated linebacker for years — like, 100-plus tackles every season,” Richardson said, motioning toward the empty locker beside him. “The only thing is, we just didn’t win during some of those seasons. And even when we did win, he was still underrated.
“I feel like he never got the true exposure he should have gotten, even with this media market. That’s why I don’t understand why a guy like that could go unnoticed to the league. He’s a humble guy who came from humble beginnings. I respect him to the fullest. That’s my guy.”

Why the Patriots Should Kick the Tires on David Harris

Steve Balestrieri

The 33-year old inside linebacker spent 10 very productive seasons with the Jets before being released recently in a salary cap dump.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Good timing!

I think he lost some speed last year and took a half step back on the whole but if he is the same player as last year he makes the team and is the 2nd best LB on the team. He could easily just be too old though and continue his downward fall but I don't think this is one of those "just see whats left" cases. I think this is a "Vet with 1 year left comes here to win" situation.

One of the things we should know about him is he really wasn't fast before but now is just plain old slow for the NFL. He makes up for it by playing smart and reading things well but him on a RB or WR in open space is bad news. If the Pats run the 4-2-5 with him and ask him to cover in space he won't do too well. He is best near the line in the muck plugging holes. That is what Hightower does best but really all you want Harris doing at this point. I think either him and Hightower rotate or you put Hightower as the roamer/edge LB which is kind of odd for a 270lb LB to do but I think it be the best match up and honestly may keep him healthier.

Last edited:
Is he still good? Can't imagine he's a lock at his age. Still worth doing to piss off the Jets regardless.

Is he still good? Can't imagine he's a lock at his age. Still worth doing to piss off the Jets regardless.

62 tackles + 32 assists last year

at that money, getting those #s again is a steal. Especially since he doesnt need to do as much here, just focus on making tackles and making plays. there's other guys to do the rest.

sure he'll look a lot fresher being in a rotation and not having to do everything himself

Harris was injured early in career at Michigan. It took him another year or 2 to get it going. He never seemed to get any credit or publicity for his accomplishments. Looking at his career with the Jets, maybe that's how he wanted it. The guy just gets the job done. He's as solid as they come.. This is a good add for the Pats as Van Noy is not an every down player. He gets lost out there. He won't last long with the Pats.

When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day

That said, this has the potential to shore up a weakness at depth spot assuming he's still faster than Brady. I like the pickup.

Belichick in this offseason like

giphy.gif

I'm sure Brady and Branch will welcome another Michigan alum to the team.. It might some adjusting to him playing football after New Year's and not golfing like the rest of his jets teammates....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back