Pats should consider extending Gostkowski, not replacing him

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Food for thought. . . .

Gostkowski's cap hit in 2014 is currently $3.8M.

A four-year extension that gives him 4 years and $15M-$16M total in new money could potentially reduce his 2014 cap hit to about $2.2M-$2.3M. [By comparison, his 2010 extension gave him $14M in new money over four years.]

OTOH, replacing Gostkowski would result in $800K of dead money plus whatever they pay his replacement, or at least $1.2M total.

We very well may end up seeing that happen.

Whatever issue Gost was having seems to have dissipated greatly.

he is a great kicker..would love to have him for the long term

Gost is a stud and entering his prime as a kicker age wise. It's a no brainer to extend him unless he wants stupid Raider money.

Very reactionary forum. Just last year everyone wanted him cut and replaced with any UDFA or jag kicker off the street.

Gost is a stud and entering his prime as a kicker age wise. It's a no brainer to extend him unless he wants stupid Raider money.

Fortunately for us Patriots fans, the Raiders just gave stupid money to Sebastian Janikowski (again!), so they're out of the market. ;)

What's prime age for a kicker? 15-55? :p

Very reactionary forum. Just last year everyone wanted him cut and replaced with any UDFA or jag kicker off the street.

We should replace him with that guy from Alabama. Stud:rolleyes:

But on a serious note, his kicks seem to look better in general. I wonder if the new holder, Ryan Allen, is playing a large role in his consistency this year.

You have an odd definition of everybody.

Food for thought. . . .

Gostkowski's cap hit in 2014 is currently $3.8M.

A four-year extension that gives him 4 years and $15M-$16M total in new money could potentially reduce his 2014 cap hit to about $2.2M-$2.3M. [By comparison, his 2010 extension gave him $14M in new money over four years.]

OTOH, replacing Gostkowski would result in $800K of dead money plus whatever they pay his replacement, or at least $1.2M total.

An alternative is to keep him through next year and there would be no hit and a new rookie contract. Not that I endorse that but I wouldn't be surprised if it cones down to the scouting process and who they like in that draft.

What's prime age for a kicker? 15-55? :p

As I've pointed out before:

As of 2012, there have been 65 cases where a kicker has attempted at least 20 FGs and made 90% of them. [The first, for the record, was by Jan Stanerud, in 1981; Gostkowski did it in 2008.]

The median age for those cases is 32.

As I've pointed out before:

As of 2012, there have been 65 cases where a kicker has attempted at least 20 FGs and made 90% of them. [The first, for the record, was by Jan Stanerud, in 1981; Gostkowski did it in 2008.]

The median age for those cases is 32.
I was playing funny buggers but thanks for the qualification nonetheless. I'm of a similar opinion. Ghost has been excellent this season. He's earned a further extension in my eyes, hopefully one which rewards him and helps the Patriots by way of cap hit.

An alternative is to keep him through next year and there would be no hit and a new rookie contract. Not that I endorse that but I wouldn't be surprised if it cones down to the scouting process and who they like in that draft.

This past offseason, after Gostkowski struggled, AND the Pats could save money by releasing him, they brought in no meaningful competition (they signed a Notre Dame player who had graduated in 2011 and was out of football in 2012).

Even taking into account "better a year early," there's no indication that Gostkowski's even close to past his prime yet.

This past offseason, after Gostkowski struggled, AND the Pats could save money by releasing him, they brought in no meaningful competition (they signed a Notre Dame player who had graduated in 2011 and was out of football in 2012).

Even taking into account "better a year early," there's no indication that Gostkowski's even close to past his prime yet.

While we're on the subject, what would your personal opinion be for his improvement this year? Is it simply coincidental due to the fact that he did pretty damn well already? Did he have an issue that maybe he had to work through?

The only reason I ask is because you've always been a major supporter of him, so I'd be curious in hearing your opinion. I know that we don't have much to go on, but have you ever considered the holding aspect? It seemed that earlier in the year Allen was able to dig a couple of balls out and that received major praise from Gostkowski. We hear of good rapport/chemistry with centers/QB's and QB's/WR's, so do you think that there is any chance whatsoever that Allen is able to get the ball placed where Gost likes it a little better than Mesko was able to do?

I'm guessing that it's just coincidental myself, and that he may have turned it up in TC/practice/off season routine a bit to try and overcome some of his sporadic issues from the past couple of seasons.

Just a reminder, but a kicker, not Gronk won the patriots a couple SB's. Just saying, for thought, not trying to be disrespectful. Good ones are worth the money.
You let Vinatieri go to early.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Vinatieri

Just a reminder, but a kicker, not Gronk won the patriots a couple SB's. Just saying, for thought, not trying to be disrespectful. Good ones are worth the money.
You let Vinatieri go to early.
Adam Vinatieri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uh, no. Vinatieri was a great kicker and hit clutch field goals, but to act as if that proves Gronk is less valuable than any kicker that has ever kicked is insane. I also don't see how letting Vinatieri go really did anything to the team one way or the other.

Agreed though, as another poster said, it wasn't anywhere near everyone (I take your point to mean everyone = quite a few posters). But the knee jerk reaction is dead for at least a week or two :rolleyes: and Gost is a relatively important re-sign IMHO.
Of course the unfortunate part of every "re-sign him" post is it leads to the cold hard reality of the Cap. I think the list of "relatively important re-sign" contains Gost,Talib, Edelman, Spikes, Solder, is McCourty coming into FA too??, and I'm sure I am missing one or two more. While I don't keep up well with the Patriots Cap situation, I believe the generally held consensus is we're in ok shape but some on the list simply can't be afforded.

Considering all that, it comes down to the ultimate question, is the cost of Gost at all worthy of considering cheaper options?

I was one of the most vocal about bringing in some camp competition with the idea of potentially replacing Gostkowski and saving some cap space. I'm sure glad they didn't listen to me. In the past I have been nervous when Ghost comes on to kick a field goal but he has been money this year. I have complete faith in him and think an extension would be a solid option. Another guy I think is a good extension candidate is Matthew Slater. I personally think he is the best non-returner special teamer in the NFL and 2014 is his last year under contract. I would be happy if we locked both of them up.

Uh, no. Vinatieri was a great kicker and hit clutch field goals, but to act as if that proves Gronk is less valuable than any kicker that has ever kicked is insane. I also don't see how letting Vinatieri go really did anything to the team one way or the other.

I'm not sure why AV is gone, but I thought it was his choice.

I didn't look up the numbers, but it seems to me that kickers have improved quite a bit over the years.

Gostkowski has a great combination of accuracy and boomability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST