Pats replacing the new turf at Gillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer of Thor

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Gillette Stadium Is Getting New FieldTurf

It seems the Patriots are getting some new turf after that bad loss on Thursday night. The crazy thing to me is they just got new turf in May. They only had 3 games and 1 practice on it. Personally I miss the real grass playing surface at Gillette.

Here is the story I found about it below.

Patriots Replacing Brand New Turf At Gillette Stadium

I hope that the newer surface more closely resembles Natural Grass, and that it's not the same company that will install it.

I hope that the newer surface more closely resembles Natural Grass, and that it isn't the same company that will be installing it.

Mods, please merge.

do they get new type every time they install new? says last time was in May, is it an annual thing?

im wondering why it took them this long to realize they dont like it

AFAIK, they replaced the natural grass with Field Turf in 2006, then upgraded it in 2014, then upgraded again 4 months ago.

After the new installation this May, they had maybe 12 days (?) of non-contact, non-full-speed practice on the new surface through late June, then nothing in July. So, the first time it got a real workout was early August.

They may have decided shortly after that to replace it, but I can't imagine it's like getting a pizza delivered, and the manufacturer may not have had the product that met their specifications just laying around waiting to be installed.

I'm guessing that it took at least a couple weeks to get everything set up and all the logistic worked out and that this week was their earliest opportunity after that to do the installation (other organizations had been scheduled to use the field besides the Pats).

I don't know enough about turf fields to say this is great or lousy. I guess some players complained the old field which was in for only a few months was too soft and squishy and the new field is harder?

Improves stability?

My lawn was kept trim with 5 mins of weed wacking...now there's no grass ......ripped it up and laid down weed barrier with a much covering.....The rest is all pine needles where I don't have flower beds or a patio ........low maintenance. :)

Really? You missed the dirt field they painted green every Sunday because the soccer team would tear it up the day before? I sure don't.
It was dirt that was painted green, but the Revolution didn't have anything to do with it. (Generally, soccer isn't played between the hashmarks.)

The big problem they had was that Gillette was built in such a way that a large portion of the field received little-to-no sunlight, even during the day. The area in front of the visitor's sideline was constantly a problem, even under ideal conditions.

There are ways to grow grass in that area if the Patriots were to become interested. They're not interested.

Is there a correlation between the turf and the injuries?

I don't get the "a few players complained the field was too soft" comment.
I don't get it. Grass is too muddy. Astroturf is like concrete. FieldTurf was great but the new stuff is too soft.
Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe