PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Greg Lewis, claim UDFA S Bret Lockett (Browns)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This means Welker isn't hurt and will play Monday night.

Another reciever is coming in Hello Ocho Cinco or Marshalll!

Terrance Nunn, anyone?

I had Nunn making the 53 over Lewis in my original rosters, but wasn't surprised when they kept Lewis. Now that they have Nunn on the PS, they're probably just using the spot to try out some guys and see what they can get.

Re: Pats release Greg Lewis, claim UDFA S Bret Lockett (Jets, Browns)

He's clearing room for Chad Jackson. lol.

(Or trading that pick for Brandon Marshall?)

I don't at all like his attitude, but his talent is amazing. Moss/Welker/Marshall in a 3-wide? Holy smokes.

No Bret Lockett....6'1" 210 safety..a strong safety..also a special teamer...WOW!! SO many part moving and..so many things going on..

UCLA Safety. Undrafted.

Should be what Matthew Slater was.

I like how this has been rubbed in Mangini's face. Someone stolen from their PS :D. Bring Nunn into the 53, Bill or Fat Eric will steal him from us.

You're just a contrarian! This was a great way to get rid of an overpriced 5th round pick and get a much more affordable 7th.

In BB we trust! ;)

Ya gotta laugh, its better than crying :D

I'm nowhere near "Richard Seymour trade shock," but... wow. Has there ever been an off-season like this?

2007 comes to mind, but maybe for different reasons- not often you land Adalius Thomas, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker...

And following on from my old post.

I like the move.

I'd have cut him anyway to keep Nunn or even Bubba in the cut to 53.

Showed nothing. Done nothing on ST. Hardly surprising he's gone.

Kinda saw the Lewis cut.

another safety?, who is this guy? STs ace or something?
Does this mean McGowan is in danger or does this take Slaters spot

Probably means Slater's gone for a long time, if I had to guess. Lewis was expendable anyways- worst comes to worst, we can always just call Nunn up. Hell, if that doesnt work let's just go grab Bam Childress from the CFL :p

Probably means Slater's gone for a long time, if I had to guess. Lewis was expendable anyways- worst comes to worst, we can always just call Nunn up. Hell, if that doesnt work let's just go grab Bam Childress from the CFL :p

I agree with this analysis. They did not bring in Lockett to play safety, and Slater is unlikely to play. They sure must have seen something in Lockett to bring him in for STs against the Bills. I mean they could have kept Ventrone instead of Lewis....

All this unexpected movement just before the season suggests that the Wilfork/Mankins extensions are more than the budget planned for. Big Sey's trade was a shocker and Lewis's release was surprising but each frees up more cap space. Given that the replacements for these players appear to be no better than 3rd teamers with minimal cap hit it must be about the money.

I hope Wilfork and Mankins sign soon or else one of them may be joining Lewis and Seymour, and I am crossing my fingers that isn't the case.

2007 comes to mind, but maybe for different reasons- not often you land Adalius Thomas, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker...

Don't forget Daunte Stallworth, at the time he was suppose to bring alot to the team eventhough he didn't live up to it. I can also remember the Pats being mentioned in talks with trying to bring in Clemens who ended up signing with the 49ers.

Lockett stood out in the preseason for the Browns, made their Final 53, and then was cut during some maneuvering. He was supposed to be signed to their practice squad, until the Patriots swooped in.

Interesting that the Patriots signed the Colts preseason standout, DT Grady, and now hosed Girlgini and company.

its funny now to read again all of BB's comments about greg lewis and him talking to phl about him for the past 2-3 yrs and how he killed the pats etc etc.
its really hard to understand sometimes. never seen bb do this much jugglery.

Hmmm, I am starting to wonder if this is what a Pioli less Belichick team is going to behave like.

Well this will severely cripple our WR corps. :rolleyes:

I didn't see the fit for Lewis on this team ... didn't see how he fit in for what we do. I trusted in Bill but it never made sense. Lewis takes too longto get open IMO.

Now onto bigger business ... Is it Brandon Marshall time???

Hmmm, I am starting to wonder if this is what a Pioli less Belichick team is going to behave like.

Careful now..... You'd better take another gulp before they come for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back