Welcome to PatsFans.com

PATs Red zone: 1 for 5 - anyone concerned?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JR4, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Just to get back to reality for a moment.
    It was fun to beat up the JETs ... but

This was the Jets and 1 TD in 5 red zone trips may be good enough to beat
    the JETs, KC and Miami type teams but not good teams.
    PATs need to get this offense scoring in the red zone.
    I am hopeful but 20% efficiency in the Red Zone will get this
    team killed against the better teams.

So all is not roses here. OK, back to celebrating a wonderful day
    seeing the JETs and their Fans humiliated. :D
  2. BradfordPatsFan

BradfordPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Not too worried at the moment. The next two games are against Miami and SF with a bye in between. They should be able to beat both of those teams and by then Matty should be more comfortable.

On the first drive he seemed to lock on to his receiver (Welker? Thomas?) ad just threw the ball a step too early or without enough touch on it. Also, the ball tipped by the Jet defender on the last drive was a great play that, with time and touch, Cassel will hopefully be able to drop into the hands of the open defender.
  3. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Let's give Matty some time to acclimate to the offense at game speed. We're 2-0 when nobody would bat an eyelash if we were 0-2 given the circumstances. I agree, they will need to be better, but the fact that we're winning as Matty is learning things at full speed makes me happy. As he gets more confident and comfortable, I would assume so will Josh and BB. What makes me happiest is, thus far, no turnovers from him in almost 2 full games, that's WAY better than being 4-5 red zone but with 3-4 turnovers. At least in my opinion.
  4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

In one game, I ain't concerned. If it turns into a trend, then I will get worried.
  5. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

As a whole we need to do a better job in the redzone absolutely. From playcalling to execution, it wasn't a great day for redzone offense. I am confident that will get better though.
  6. N.Eman

N.Eman Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think we'll get that fixed. But remember we need some games under Cassell's belt. I hope they are all wins, but after this, confidence builds up for him. Miami should be a next challenge, but our Defense should take care of them and have Cassell sorta "erector set" his confidence.
  7. PatriotNMP43

PatriotNMP43 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I believe they had 2 or was it 3 4th and 1's but passed them up for the conservative FG's, in future weeks i would like to see quarterback sneaks on 4th and 1. Not worried, ease Cassel into these things week to week.
  8. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Man, I'm having 2001 deja vu all day long today.
  9. carolinatony

carolinatony Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

YES
    Throw it to Moss more. We won't beat the better teams with FG's.
  10. lamafist

lamafist Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yards come at a premium in the red zone. The windows are smaller, defenses can send more pressure, and receivers have less room to maneuver. These things will exacerbate the problems faced by a young QB making his first start, so it's not surprising that the Pats O stalled in the red zone more than usual.

Cassel will be able to react faster and make better decisions as he gets more games under his belt, and with offensive talent around him, our red zone efficiency should come around when he does.
  11. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I didn't like the red zone playcalling at all on the first drive of the game and the drive where we were up 13-3 and the staff looked fine with just settling to go up 16-3 (Why?! It's still a 2 possession game). I think (hope) it improves as the season goes on and Cassel has enough confidence from the staff to go and GET us points or GET the game-sealing play.
  12. patriot lifer

patriot lifer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

not too concerned as of now. If the problem persists, then there's an issue. they do obviously need improvements, but it's likely at the top of their list to work on. with a new qb in transition, they are probably calling plays cautiously just to protect the ball. maybe if they were behind, they would take some chances with playcalls.
    San Diego will certainly be a better measuring stick for the team than these first three
  13. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

There are always concerns even in victory and this is definitely a concern that needs to be addressed coming out of this game. You can be sure BB and Mcdaniels were not happy with the production down there and it will be a big topic in meetings and film study in the next couple days.
  14. Brady to Brown

Brady to Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That will come. Right now, we beat the RATS :D

With no Tom Brady :D

In their house :D
  15. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ---- JAG ----- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

Red Zone play will come as the season rolls along. I really don't think Cassell is going to have all the timing down pat until at least mid-season. In the meantime I expect Belichick to tweak the running game which will in turn help out with the red zone. Even today ... I would have liked even more running than what we did ... i think we can have a top 5 running team if we go that route.
  16. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

It is good enough to beat most of the teams on the schedule, but not Colts, Steelers and Chargers. So if we go 13-3 and can turn improve the red zone offense by JANUARY, we should be okay.
  17. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

the jets were determined to not let moss score as they doubled him in the end zone.

I wonder if Lamont might be an option in goal line to punch it in.
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

The ONLY reality is the glass is half full! This is a sport that is played one game at a time and the only game that matters is the next one.

The Patriots did what they had to do to win the game. With Brady out, Belichick and the Patriots have been forced to transform themselves in one week. So I say, what a great week it was! How can any of us be negative or worried after today's game? hell, anyone who figured we still "should" be a contender with Brady out was dreaming. What we have is only a "hope" that we still can contend. We have a long way to go, but what I watched today gives me a lot of hope.

I don't see how it couldn't.
  19. LloydBraun

LloydBraun Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The one play in particular that I remember is a pass to Thomas in the EZ in the 4th quarter. Cassel waited for him to be open instead of throwing it to where he was supposed to be. The pass was deflected by a Lb'er I believe. It is plays like that, timing plays, that will come.

Overall, I was imprssed with Cassel's start. Other than the "deer in the headlights" series he had after hurting his knee, he seemed to be comfortable. The Jets did their best to take Moss out of the game, but the others stepped up.
  20. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Not positive, but I don't think Thomas was his first read on that play you mention?
  21. JR4

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Don't forget Denver, Seahawks and Bills x 2.
    Yes the Bills they beat Jags today. Bills are for real and if PATs have red
    zone production like today the Bills will win.
    If PATs lose these games plus the ones you mentioned they will be
    playing golf in January.
    Red zone offense needs to get fixed and fast. IMO.
  22. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

When the team starts having TURNOVERS in the red zone then its time to worry - As long as the defense stands thier ground it won't be an issue to be concerned with.
  23. Horace's Ivories

Horace's Ivories PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

as much as I dislike the Jets and I'm probably in the minority to think that the jets are actually pretty good. This is certainly not your grandma's jets. so, that being said, this win is a very good win, on the road, against a fired up team. So i dont buy wait until they play good teams.. jets are a good team and will be good this year.
  24. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

We were 5-for-5 in the red zone, I believe. I'll take it. I expect we'll convert one or two of those trips for TDs as the team coheres around Cassel.
  25. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

They'll be experimenting to find the correct goal line packages. Jordan may be best suited down there in such a congested area. I think BB and the OC will find ways to get him more touches.

In addition, Watson will be returning sooner rather then later, giving Cassel a much needed large target and valuable option.

And ultimately, Moss and Cassel will be working on their chemistry. Not just in the RZ, but between the twenties as well. Rest assured, BB & Co. won't waste Moss' talent simply because Brady is unavailable. Lots of practice reps are in order.
  26. ClevTrev

ClevTrev Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Exactly. With the game plan in mind, it was obvious the Pats were convinced that any points coming out of the Red Zone were better than no points. A conservative game plan enabled Cassel's success and maintained possession resulting in points. The way the defense was playing and Gostkowski was kicking, ball control and the short passing game were just what was needed today.

It will evolve as Cassel and the team get more games under their belts.

No worries.
  27. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

It needs to steadily improve. It doesn't need "to get fixed and fast." And if they lose all the ones I mentioned plus Denver, the seahawks and split the Bills they go 10-6. That means no golf the first week of January.
  28. JR4

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Wrong. Bad attitude. IMO. If Bills keep playing the way they have they
    will win the AFCE with 12 or more wins. They just played two of the
    toughest teams on their schedule and won!

If PATs do not have a sense of urgency to fix this red zone problem they
    could be looking at 3 losses by the time they meet the Bills and the Bills
    may have only 1 loss at that time.
    The one advantage PATs have is Miami and a Bye week. When they hit
    the 9ers after the bye that Red Zone offense needs be a lot better.
    Some of the better teams are like 60% to 70% efficient in the Red zone.
    Denver is like over 80% i think. Bills are very good in the Red zone.
    I am sure BB will stress it but he needs the players to execute
    correctly in the Red Zone.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  29. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

He may not have "read" Thomas getting open that easily, but he certainly didn't appear to hesitate when he spotted him. It was a great play by Pace to get that 6'5" extra-long wing out to tip the ball.
  30. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

As others have noted, they did score points all five trips. I thought the playcalling on a couple of those trips was a little conservative, more early than late. They'll open it up a bit as Cassel gets more comfortable.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.