PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats, Pack, and Jags interested in Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said all he can do is jump. You keep on repeating that and I keep on saying that isn't what I am saying. Moss for his career has been a guy who has made his living playing a vertical game and basically giving his physical skills to OUT RUN or out jump his opponent. What made him so good in the past was that he was so much faster than DBs that he could get separation and then be able to adjust his route on long bombs by Culpepper. At times he was able to make great plays by out jumping his defender, but not all the time.

Where Moss is limited is that he is really only good at the intermediate to long routes. He is not a great screen pass catcher or a guy who goes over the middle a lot which the Pats like to do. He is better suited for a team who stretches the field more like Scott Lenahan's offense. I never said all the catches that Moss catches are deep bombs. I said he doesn't run the routes that the Pats like to run. The Pats usually throw 5-10 passes and some 15 to 20 yards and a few over that and that is not Moss' bread and butter.

Ok, 12 long balls may be too much. Make it six to eight. If Moss averaged 2 catches over 20 yards a game in his best year, that means Culpepper probably threw to him deep six to eight times a game. Passes over 20 yards are low percentage plays and a 30% completion percentage at that range is very good. I still don't think the Pats want to throw down the field that much.

By the way, with 32.5% of his catches being over 20 yards, that screams to me that Moss is a deep ball catcher. Almost a third of his catches are considered intermediate to deep catches and you are saying he isn't a deep ball catcher? For a guy who catches 80-100 balls a season when he was good? That screams to be that he is more of a burner than a short to intermediate WR to me. I bet most great WRs who aren't primarily deep ball WRs have about 15-20% of their passes over 20 yards.

ooo yea rob, Moss can jump and run, what a big difference. I am not debating that Moss' skill set is based upon his athleticism. Certainly it has to be, but you act as if that is a bad thing.

We don't stretch the field much because we dont have anyone who can stratch the feild. That is no a tough concept. You know as well as I do that it would open up the inside for the slot WR.

Moss doesn't have to be a sreen-catching-over-the-middle guy. That would be a waste of his talent. We have 4 other WR that already do that. Moss would add a depth we do not have. Again the Pats do not throw his type of ball because they do not have anyone that cancatch his type of ball.

You estimating what Culpepper through to him is all guess with no fact--smoke out your wazoo. No way you can stand by that statement.

I am not debating with you that Moss is a long ball catcher. There is no doubt that he has that ability, that is why some want him in the first place, but you try to agrue thats all he can do. That is totally wrong. 67.5% of the time Moss catches the ball less than 20 yards. The majority of his catches come less than 20 yards!!!!

Here is the point. You keep saying that Moss is a very limited WR and that he would not fit the Pats because the majority of what he does is 30+ yards. You want to claim that the only talent he has is outrunning and outjumping his defender. 32.5% of the time you are correct in that Moss has done those things well. 67.5% of the time he does not do what you claim he only does. The majority of his catches are not bombs like you have been saying. The majority have been catches less than 20 yards just like a normal WR. In th 67.5 % he must run routes and patters just like anyone else. The thing that made him so different is his explosiveness with the 32.5%. That is not a bad thing, nor is it the only thing the guy does as you want to suggest.

The reason the Pats do not throw downfield more often is because they do not have the deep threat we all are looking for.

I am not advocating bringing Moss in. I have mixed emotions on it, but don't paint the guy out to be something he athletically is not.

I don't know if I read it or dreamed it, but Matt Millen is gambling his all and giving up his #1 for Randy Moss and a promise to be named Al Davis' heir.

I don't know if I read it or dreamed it, but Matt Millen is gambling his all and giving up his #1 for Randy Moss and a promise to be named Al Davis' heir.

Anything that Millen does cannot surpise me anymore.

I really think Moss will play in a Pats uniform 1 day.Manning has Harrison.Palmer has Chad and Romo has the diva TO.Brady will get a top notch WR 1 of these years.

Let's trade both of our first rounders for him!

Last edited:
ooo yea rob, Moss can jump and run, what a big difference. I am not debating that Moss' skill set is based upon his athleticism. Certainly it has to be, but you act as if that is a bad thing.

We don't stretch the field much because we dont have anyone who can stratch the feild. That is no a tough concept. You know as well as I do that it would open up the inside for the slot WR.

Moss doesn't have to be a sreen-catching-over-the-middle guy. That would be a waste of his talent. We have 4 other WR that already do that. Moss would add a depth we do not have. Again the Pats do not throw his type of ball because they do not have anyone that cancatch his type of ball.

You estimating what Culpepper through to him is all guess with no fact--smoke out your wazoo. No way you can stand by that statement.

I am not debating with you that Moss is a long ball catcher. There is no doubt that he has that ability, that is why some want him in the first place, but you try to agrue thats all he can do. That is totally wrong. 67.5% of the time Moss catches the ball less than 20 yards. The majority of his catches come less than 20 yards!!!!

Here is the point. You keep saying that Moss is a very limited WR and that he would not fit the Pats because the majority of what he does is 30+ yards. You want to claim that the only talent he has is outrunning and outjumping his defender. 32.5% of the time you are correct in that Moss has done those things well. 67.5% of the time he does not do what you claim he only does. The majority of his catches are not bombs like you have been saying. The majority have been catches less than 20 yards just like a normal WR. In th 67.5 % he must run routes and patters just like anyone else. The thing that made him so different is his explosiveness with the 32.5%. That is not a bad thing, nor is it the only thing the guy does as you want to suggest.

The reason the Pats do not throw downfield more often is because they do not have the deep threat we all are looking for.

I am not advocating bringing Moss in. I have mixed emotions on it, but don't paint the guy out to be something he athletically is not.

Last time I checked, there is a big difference between running and jumping. I guess if you think they are the same thing, so be it. I don't so don't make it as if I mean the same thing.

Moss works best in a vertical offense. It doesn't means that they pass down the field 30 yards on every play. It means the WRs typical run at a straight line of the line of scrimmage. There could be some cutting, but mostly the WR's primary responsibility is to outrun the defender even in shorter routes.

The Pats run a short passing game where they use a lot of cut routes, screens, out routes, and slants. There is a lot of presnap adjustments that I don't know if Moss can handle because he played in a lot of very basic offenses because of his QBs. Culpepper is not a smart QB and he needed to keep the playbook simple. The offenses in Oakland were not all that complicated either.

As for Moss' percentages, Moss can outrun defenders in 10-15 yards. He can outjump a defender anywhere. It is the type of routes he runs. Moss is a guy who runs more basic and vertical routes. He is the king of fade route. He is limited because he doesn't run the routes the Pats want to run.

If you don't think that over 30% of his completions are for over 20 yards doesn't mean that the Vikings didn't throw the ball down the field tons, you are kidding yourself. Moss averages 4.9 catches a game and 1.6 of them are for over 20 yards. What WR averages 1.6 catches a game for over 20 yards except for a guy who is primarily a deep threat. That means Culpepper hucked the ball a lot down the field.

Also, that doesn't mean that 67.5% of the time he ran like any one else. That means he ran like any other WR in a vertical offense. Meaning a lot of fades and straight line routes.

You see you are looking at the numbers and going overboard. These numbers support my case as much as your's. Moss has an unusually amount of catches over 20 yards. No starting WR with the number years Moss has even a guy who is primarily a burner is going to have over 35-38% of his catches over 20 yards. It just doesn't happen.

What's the number of under 10 yards? That is more important in the discussion for whether he fits with the Patriots? If it is about as much or less than what it is under what it is for 20 plus yards, then he is what I say he is.

As for the Pats, I agree they don't go deep as much because they don't have the WRs. But they don't do a vertical offense because that is not their philosophy. There is a big difference. I would be surprised if Branch caught more than 15% or so of his catches over 20 yards.

You are looking at these numbers in a vacuum. Compare Moss' stats to guys who spent most of their career with the Pats like Branch and Givens. Compare it to Harrison or other elite WRs who aren't known as burners. I bet you will get a whole new perspective.

PFT is saying there's a rumor that Moss has been traded to the Packers for Aaron Rodgers.

I really think Moss will play in a Pats uniform 1 day.Manning has Harrison.Palmer has Chad and Romo has the diva TO.Brady will get a top notch WR 1 of these years.

Can you compare Moss to Harrison anymore? People talk about Moss like he is still the 2003 Moss still. He might be, but all evidence points to him being an average player at this point.

Why do we need a top notch #1 WR anyways? How many Super Bowls does Brady have compared to Manning, Palmer, and Romo? Or Delhomme with Steve Smith and/or Muhsim Mohammed? McNabb when he had TO? Brett Favre with Donald Driver or Javon Walker? Marc Bulger with Holt and Bruce? Warner with Holt and Bruce?

I never got the idea that we need an elite WR. For entertainment purposes, I can see it. For Super Bowl wins, I think the need is overrated. I'd rather spend the money it takes to have an elite WR on defensive players. I think you have a better chance to win a Super Bowl that way.

If you have a great QB, you can do just as well with above average WRs and spending the elite WR money on defensive talent. I bet the Colts would have more Super Bowl (or at least playoff wins) at the end of Manning's run if they didn't spend what they did on Harrison and Wayne and more on their defense. Granted we will never know, but lack of defensive talent has hurt their playoff runs for most of this decade.

PFT is saying there's a rumor that Moss has been traded to the Packers for Aaron Rodgers.
If the Pats were wise they'd do the Pack one better and offer up Cassel for Moss. Then sign Moulds and we're good to go on offense.

If the Pats were wise they'd do the Pack one better and offer up Cassel for Moss. Then sign Moulds and we're good to go on offense.

Cassel might turn out to be the better player but he doesn't have the same appeal as Rodgers because Cassel was a 7th round pick and Rodgers was a 1st.

Cassel might turn out to be the better player but he doesn't have the same appeal as Rodgers because Cassel was a 7th round pick and Rodgers was a 1st.
That's right. Common sense is thrown out the window as we're talking about the Raiders here.

If this happens, Aaron Rodgers must really suck. I can't see the Packers giving away Rodgers if they thought he could be a starting QB in the future. Unless the braintrusts are so far up Farves butt, that they are sacrificing the future for a run for Favre this year.

I would be interested in him for sure. BB would have a talk with him before anything is done anyway.
We need a deep threat!

Cassel has little to no trade value. He may turn into the next Brady, but right now he is a seventh round pick with next to no playing experience since high school. He might be worth a sixth round at this point.

Cassel has little to no trade value. He may turn into the next Brady, but right now he is a seventh round pick with next to no playing experience since high school. He might be worth a sixth round at this point.
If you say so .......... but he's still better than Rodgers

Last time I checked, there is a big difference between running and jumping. I guess if you think they are the same thing, so be it. I don't so don't make it as if I mean the same thing.

Moss works best in a vertical offense. It doesn't means that they pass down the field 30 yards on every play. It means the WRs typical run at a straight line of the line of scrimmage. There could be some cutting, but mostly the WR's primary responsibility is to outrun the defender even in shorter routes.

The Pats run a short passing game where they use a lot of cut routes, screens, out routes, and slants. There is a lot of presnap adjustments that I don't know if Moss can handle because he played in a lot of very basic offenses because of his QBs. Culpepper is not a smart QB and he needed to keep the playbook simple. The offenses in Oakland were not all that complicated either.

I dont disagree with this, so where is the negative? There are not presnap adjustment he couldnt make unless he was in a wheelchair. It is a matter of learning the playbook. He has the physical ability to do whatever he wants. You know as well as I do you pulled your Cpep point out of your wazzo without factual data.

As for Moss' percentages, Moss can outrun defenders in 10-15 yards. He can outjump a defender anywhere. It is the type of routes he runs. Moss is a guy who runs more basic and vertical routes. He is the king of fade route. He is limited because he doesn't run the routes the Pats want to run.

You dont want this in our offense? This still doesnt mean he cannot run a clean basic route.

If you don't think that over 30% of his completions are for over 20 yards doesn't mean that the Vikings didn't throw the ball down the field tons, you are kidding yourself. Moss averages 4.9 catches a game and 1.6 of them are for over 20 yards. What WR averages 1.6 catches a game for over 20 yards except for a guy who is primarily a deep threat. That means Culpepper hucked the ball a lot down the field.

I never said that they didn't go down field, but they didn't do it on every play like you imply. I am glad though that you are starting to recognize Moss' talent.

Also, that doesn't mean that 67.5% of the time he ran like any one else. That means he ran like any other WR in a vertical offense. Meaning a lot of fades and straight line routes.

And that is fine. We could use that threat in our passing game. Don't you think Brady has the ability to hit him in a vertical manner? Brady has always wanted the fade but never had a target.

You see you are looking at the numbers and going overboard. These numbers support my case as much as your's. Moss has an unusually amount of catches over 20 yards. No starting WR with the number years Moss has even a guy who is primarily a burner is going to have over 35-38% of his catches over 20 yards. It just doesn't happen.

What's the number of under 10 yards? That is more important in the discussion for whether he fits with the Patriots? If it is about as much or less than what it is under what it is for 20 plus yards, then he is what I say he is.

As for the Pats, I agree they don't go deep as much because they don't have the WRs. But they don't do a vertical offense because that is not their philosophy. There is a big difference. I would be surprised if Branch caught more than 15% or so of his catches over 20 yards.

You are looking at these numbers in a vacuum. Compare Moss' stats to guys who spent most of their career with the Pats like Branch and Givens. Compare it to Harrison or other elite WRs who aren't known as burners. I bet you will get a whole new perspective.

I am looking a the number for what they are, you are the one dancing around them trying to squeeze them into your theory. Moss, "unusual" anount of 20+ is because of his talent!!! I don't need to compare Moss to other WR. Why? Because I realize that there has never been a WR like him in the NFL. He may be one of a kind, maybe not. It takes all types of WR to support the NFL. Yes the Pats have traditionally gone with the smurf, but that doesn't mean that Brady cannot play well with a Moss.

I dont disagree with this, so where is the negative? There are not presnap adjustment he couldnt make unless he was in a wheelchair. It is a matter of learning the playbook. He has the physical ability to do whatever he wants. You know as well as I do you pulled your Cpep point out of your wazzo without factual data.

You don't know that. To make presnap adjustments, you have to assume that Moss can read coverages. A lot of WRs don't make it in our offense because they can't read the coverage and adjust their routes based on the coverage.

I do know Culpepper has trouble reading defense and they limited the presnap reads. If you mean pulling out of my wazzo by actually reading that this is the case for his last year in Minnesotta, I guess you are right. It is a well known knock on Culpepper that he has trouble reading defenses.

You dont want this in our offense? This still doesnt mean he cannot run a clean basic route.

Moss for most of his career has never run great routes. He has relied on his physical ability over technique.

I never said that they didn't go down field, but they didn't do it on every play like you imply. I am glad though that you are starting to recognize Moss' talent.

You mean Scott Lenahan doesn't use a vertical offense? Someone better tell him that because that is what he is running in St. Louis. That is what he ran in Miami. That is what he ran in Minnesotta. But apparently he didn't.

And that is fine. We could use that threat in our passing game. Don't you think Brady has the ability to hit him in a vertical manner? Brady has always wanted the fade but never had a target.

There is a difference between trying to get Donald Hayes to be a #3 WR doing fade routes and converting the offense into a vertical offense. Brady wouldn't mind doing more vertical stuff, but I doubt he wants to run a vertical offense. That doesn't take a lot of brains or outsmarting the defense because WRs run more basic routes.

I am looking a the number for what they are, you are the one dancing around them trying to squeeze them into your theory. Moss, "unusual" anount of 20+ is because of his talent!!! I don't need to compare Moss to other WR. Why? Because I realize that there has never been a WR like him in the NFL. He may be one of a kind, maybe not. It takes all types of WR to support the NFL. Yes the Pats have traditionally gone with the smurf, but that doesn't mean that Brady cannot play well with a Moss.

Not dancing around them. I am approaching them head on. You are the one that is dancing around the issue. Of course you need to compare Moss' numbers to other WRs to see if he is more of a deep threat and limited in the routes he runs. Who cares if there is no one like him. If he isn't primarily more a deep threat, the percentages will show it when stacked up with the rest of the league. The overall numbers may be different, but the percentages should tell you how he stacks up. If the average great WR only catches 20% over 20 yards, then Moss is more of a burner than anything.

I don't know how you can make a statement about the percentage of passes Moss catches over 20 yards without comparing it to the rest of the league. A third of his passes over 20 yards seems extremely high to me.

Also, why won't you answer the question about what percentage is under ten yards? That is huge since Branch career average was 13.0 a catch with an average of 3.8 YAC. So Brady averaged throwing the ball 8.2 yards to Branch. And Branch was our deep guy. I would answer the question if I had the numbers.

As for Moss with Brady, Moss would be great as # 3 WR. I'll agree with you there, but there is nothing in Moss' past that says he can play in a sophisticated more horizontal offense that the Pats run.

If you say so .......... but he's still better than Rodgers

I don't neccessarily disagree that Cassel is better than Rodgers, but what evidence do you have to prove it to a GM to make the trade? Cassel has thrown 32 career passes in the NFL and not much more in college. Cassel doesn't have much trade value because there is no history on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News