PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats make cutdown to 75 - Poteat, Roach, Musinski, Henry, Barthelmes, Steitz

Status
Not open for further replies.
pats1 said:
Don't listen to WEEI. Me (and Bill) are always right. :D

Shelton was placed on the I.R. the same day as Mel Mitchell.

Branch doesn't count at all since he's on the reserve/DNR list, but that list expires sometime in early December.

Players waived/injured are put on the I.R. if they clear waivers. I've been following some other waived/injured guys, and if NFLPA.org active player search still brings up their name 4 or so days after they're cut, that means they're on the IR and thus their salary counts for the remainder of the season.
SO is WIlliams on IR officially??? Interesting..didn't know about that rule..VERY good!!

Pats726 said:
SO is WIlliams on IR officially??? Interesting..didn't know about that rule..VERY good!!

Unless, as arrellbee said, they reach an injury settlement and cut the player.

If they're on the I.R. the teams pays the their salary, and if they reach a settlement the salary is going to be paid too, so there's not really a difference. The waiver system is the only way they can get rid of his salary.

Of course if Brady got hurt he would just go straight to the I.R. for obvious reasons (a team would claim him).

Yawn.

The only remotely interesting name on the list is Hank, our steady 76th man for the last two seasons. But I dont think I saw a single 53-man projection with him listed on the roster.

One consideration in the first cutodown is BB sometimes lets his vets go sooner rather than later (Grammatica, for example), in large part out of professional courtesy, to give their agents time to hit the streets. Not saying that's the case for Poteat, but it certainly would have been for Beisel and Warfield if they'd been released. The fact that they weren't could be a bit illuminating.

pats1 said:
Shelton was placed on the I.R. the same day as Mel Mitchell.
Yes, I know. But my interest was that he no longer shows up on the pats.com roster in the IR category so I just wonder if they reached an injury settlement with him rather than carrying him on IR for the season.

pats1 said:
Branch doesn't count at all since he's on the reserve/DNR list, but that list expires sometime in early December.
Thanks. Didn't know if he didn't count in preseason also. As a contrast, I think PUP counts now in the 75 but once the regular season starts it doesn't count in the 53.

pats1 said:
Players waived/injured are put on the I.R. if they clear waivers. I've been following some other waived/injured guys, and if NFLPA.org active player search still brings up their name 4 or so days after they're cut, that means they're on the IR and thus their salary counts for the remainder of the season.
That raises an interesting question that I hadn't thought of before. Does an injury settlement count against this year's cap ? Maybe you or Miguel have the info on that.

arrellbee said:
Yes, I know. But my interest was that he no longer shows up on the pats.com roster in the IR category so I just wonder if they reached an injury settlement with him rather than carrying him on IR for the season.

The Patriots.com roster isn't the best source. Usually out-of-date and inaccurate. It took them nearly 3 weeks to fix a few number changes from the beginning of camp. PFW probably updates it, so there's your problem.

NFLPA.org is a much more official source, so I use their info.

arrellbee said:
Thanks. Didn't know if he didn't count in preseason also. As a contrast, I think PUP counts now in the 75 but once the regular season starts it doesn't count in the 53.

The active/PUP list expires at the 53-man cutdown, and the 'active' part of it does mean it counts against the limit. At the 53-man cutdown, a team has the choice to either put the player on the reserve/PUP to knock him out until at least week 6, cut him, trade him, put him on I.R., carry him on the active roster, mame him, rob him, whatever.

arrellbee said:
That raises an interesting question that I hadn't thought of before. Does an injury settlement count against this year's cap ? Maybe you or Miguel have the info on that.

I'm not sure about that. It's possible there's a deadline that they count against the cap for the current/following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back