PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats make cutdown to 75 - Poteat, Roach, Musinski, Henry, Barthelmes, Steitz

Status
Not open for further replies.
T-ShirtDynasty said:
God Bless ya Hank. We'll see you again soon.

Off the roster but always in our hearts! :rocker:

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Also, whatever happened to Tony Simmons?

Is he out of football?

Depends on what you mean by "out of football."

http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module=roster&func=display&ros_id=220

Another old friend from the Grier era isn't out of football either. With the release of Poteat, maybe we should be contacting him?

http://www.arenafootball.com/SportS...COUNT_=2&DB_OEM_ID_1_=3500&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2006

Actually, looking at that it looks like the Austin Wranglers are the Patriots' retirement home. Canty, Coleman, and Holsey.

Hank'll be back.

Last edited:
NEM said:
I am shocked by those names. :D

I am somewhat surprised that Musinski was cut. He caught three passes in two preseason games for two first downs and one touchdown.

Last edited:
Mike the Brit said:

im wondering if bb cut him at this point so he could more easily be picked up by someone else, since he has such respect for him

Mike the Brit said:

Yes perfect comment. Who can forget the Pat's fielding Troy Brown and Hank Poteat as backup CB's and winning the Super Bowl.

PatsWickedPissah said:
It's not beyond BB to cut a guy he likes but can't justify being a 53 early, pretending that he has no interest in him only to pick him up later for the PS

I suppose that's possible. Personally, I lean toward the simpler theory that he Roach cut early because he wasn't very good. I think he was overvalued by fans based on the collective desperation for an ILB prospect.

patsfan55 said:
im wondering if bb cut him at this point so he could more easily be picked up by someone else, since he has such respect for him

I doubt he is going to generate a lot of interest.

The bozos on EEI earlier had the Pats having to make other moves to get to 75...figures..

Last edited:
patchick said:
I suppose that's possible. Personally, I lean toward the simpler theory that he Roach cut early because he wasn't very good. I think he was overvalued by fans based on the collective desperation for an ILB prospect.

Let me say that in THIS instance I agree with you. Reportedly Roach scored an eight on the Wunderlic. Makes even Patsfan posters look smart. Not a good starting point for learning what many describe as a very complicated D.

Pats1
Shelton has been missing from IR list for some time now on Patriots official roster

Gamara Williams was waived/injured 8/12. If he was not picked up, I thought they had 5 days to reach an injury settlement or put him on IR for the season ?? In any case, why is he still on the Pats official roster.

Branch [reserve/did not report] category doesn't count in preseason 75 ? Wouldn't for final 53 of course.

------------------------------

comment on the WEEI folks:
If they are just counting the Pats site roster at this point, they are counting 86. Take away six cut and they are figuring 80. They just are oblivious to Branch, Williams, and the 3 nfle/injured that Pats1 points out.

Bumping this because it was on page 2 and I almost reposted (but I figured there had to be a thread)

6 cuts made today

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=20802&pcid=47

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Patriots released six players today - veteran cornerback Hank Poteat, first-year wide receiver Keron Henry, first-year wide receiver Rich Musinski, first-year guard Nick Steitz, rookie center Brian Barthelmes and rookie linebacker Freddie Roach. New England is in compliance with the NFL’s 75-man roster limit, which will take effect at 4:00 p.m. EDT today.

# NAME POS HT WT BORN YR COLLEGE H.S. HOMETOWN
62w Barthelmes, Brian C 6-6 300 01/28/83 R Virginia Parkman, Ohio
1 Henry, Keron WR 6-1 222 08/20/82 1 Connecticut Brooklyn, N.Y.
5 Musinski, Rich WR 5-11 210 10/12/80 1 William & Mary Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
32 Poteat, Hank CB 5-10 195 08/30/77 5 Pittsburgh Harrisburg, Pa.
48 Roach, Freddie LB 6-2 250 06/03/83 R Alabama Killen, Ala.
69 Steitz, Nick G 6-3 300 08/18/82 1 Oregon

Anybody surprised?

Re: 6 cuts made today

Nobody here's surprised because an IDENTICAL THREAD has been up on Page 1 for hours. Hello!

Sorry, but don't need to be a dink about it.

Chewy said:
Sorry, but don't need to be a dink about it.

I blame Maynard high for not teaching basic reading skills.

Didn't go to Maynard, thanks.

arrellbee said:
Pats1
Shelton has been missing from IR list for some time now on Patriots official roster

Gamara Williams was waived/injured 8/12. If he was not picked up, I thought they had 5 days to reach an injury settlement or put him on IR for the season ?? In any case, why is he still on the Pats official roster.

Branch [reserve/did not report] category doesn't count in preseason 75 ? Wouldn't for final 53 of course.

------------------------------

comment on the WEEI folks:
If they are just counting the Pats site roster at this point, they are counting 86. Take away six cut and they are figuring 80. They just are oblivious to Branch, Williams, and the 3 nfle/injured that Pats1 points out.

Don't listen to WEEI. Me (and Bill) are always right. :D

Shelton was placed on the I.R. the same day as Mel Mitchell.

Branch doesn't count at all since he's on the reserve/DNR list, but that list expires sometime in early December.

Players waived/injured are put on the I.R. if they clear waivers. I've been following some other waived/injured guys, and if NFLPA.org active player search still brings up their name 4 or so days after they're cut, that means they're on the IR and thus their salary counts for the remainder of the season.

PatsWickedPissah said:
It's not beyond BB to cut a guy he likes but can't justify being a 53 early, pretending that he has no interest in him only to pick him up later for the PS

Those six include 3 of my eight p/s nominees (Musinski ... Roach ... Steitz).

Either i'm very bad at that game, or BB is very sly.
(Both explanations sound correct.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back