PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats in Contact with Donte Stallworth???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had thought that I wanted the Pats to take a look at Stallworth, but now that I've seen this, I'm having second thoughts. The guy is a true deep threat, which the Patriots could use, but does his style of play really fit this offense?

Also, he appears to be injury prone and undependable. He has a history of having a huge game or two and then dissapearing for a while.

Plus his asking price is apparently quite high (though he would certainly have to come down on it before the Pats signed him).

So I don't know...I'd hate for the Pats to rely on him to be a big part of their offense, only to be screwed when he doesn't make it through the season.

Thanks for the link.....confirms what I heard.

FYI-Michael Smith on Sports Extra at 11:30,maybe we'll hear more

so they just said what they said before, nothing new yet

I think we could do better by looking elsewhere. The guy is obviously injury-prone. For Chrissakes, we have enough problems with injuries each year.

No way I want him signed, him and welker, I would be very happy and maybee some depth at lb and saftey and its been a great offseason...Donte Stallworth needs to be on the Pats...

Perhaps, but CJack's reduced playing time as the 19 game season progressed speaks volumes. He was desperately needed.

Unfortunately for you, he wasn't getting LESS time as the season went on. He was getting MORE. It was just on running teams.

Also, I disagree that he was desperately needed. Not to mention that its WELL KNOWN that jackson's 1st year is always tough on him. Whether it was highschool or college. Jackson's 1st year was always tough.

I had thought that I wanted the Pats to take a look at Stallworth, but now that I've seen this, I'm having second thoughts. The guy is a true deep threat, which the Patriots could use, but does his style of play really fit this offense?

Also, he appears to be injury prone and undependable. He has a history of having a huge game or two and then dissapearing for a while.

Plus his asking price is apparently quite high (though he would certainly have to come down on it before the Pats signed him).

So I don't know...I'd hate for the Pats to rely on him to be a big part of their offense, only to be screwed when he doesn't make it through the season.

:ditto: :agree: :yeahthat:

Right. Like Donald Hayes became tons better. And Doug Gabriel.

PWP -
Its unfair to mention Donald Hayes because Brady was only a 2nd year player.

Now, as for Gabriel, Brady could have made him better if Gabriel had wanted to get better and be part of the team. He didn't and was let go.

I think the Stallworth injury this is a little overplayed. Over his career he has averaged over 13 games per season, and despite playing in 12 games last year he played in back to back complete seasons the years before.

With all these possible sign... What position will we draft...BB&SP are set up for a very producive offseason...That must have been a bitter pill after the AFCC games...To a below avg WR to one of the best...Keep it coming have faith in BB&SP...I really think it will a defensive draft,DB in the 1st

I think the Stallworth injury this is a little overplayed. Over his career he has averaged over 13 games per season, and despite playing in 12 games last year he played in back to back complete seasons the years before.

I agree I recently posted this on the Patriots ESPN forum (someone mentioned durability, and how Stallworth wasn't worth Branch money):

Lets think about the two receivers for a second. Branch and Stallworth have both had some durability problems, and when they were in the field flashed some very nice talents.

Branch has suited up for 67 out of 80 games total, while starting in 55 of those games. During this time Branch has 266 receptions for 3,469 yards, 13.0 yards per catch, and 18 receiving TD's.

Stallworth has suited up for 68 out of 80 games total, while starting in 44 of those games. During this time Stallworth has 233 receptions for 3,516 yards, 15.1 yards per catch, and 28 receiving TD's.

I think they are pretty comparable actually. Branch has more starts, while Stallworth has more TD's.

Honestly, I don't think Branch was worth the amount of money he got, but it seems a lot of receivers are signing larger contracts than we all think they are worth, lately.

Also, a lot of the contracts are heavily backloaded, and aren't really worth the total figures given. I have had to tell a lot of Patriots haters this fact concerning the Wes Welker offer sheet. In Welker's case only 10.5M is guaranteed, and the overall contract total is only high because of the poison pill likely inserted.

For those who don't know me:
I have 1,145 post on the ESPN forums (mostly on the Patriots message board), and I have never trolled another teams board. I'm 24 6'3, and 258lbs. I play MLB. After talking to Bobby Carpenter prior to the 2006 NFL draft I posted threads where I said Carpenter would be a Cowboy, and I was among a few members on the ESPN forums saying I wanted Maroney over White, Addie, or D. Williams, while I also wanted chad Jackson.
in 2005 I wanted NE to draft Ellis Hobbs, and argued for Hobbs over Duane Starks.

Wes Welker has been on my radar for the Patriots since the beginning of the 2006 season, and I posted threads talking about how good of a fit he would be for NE. I didn't think they would give up a second rounder for him, though.

Last edited:
I agree I recently posted this on the Patriots ESPN forum (someone mentioned durability, and how Stallworth wasn't worth Branch money):

Lets think about the two receivers for a second. Branch and Stallworth have both had some durability problems, and when they were in the field flashed some very nice talents.

Branch has suited up for 67 out of 80 games total, while starting in 55 of those games. During this time Branch has 266 receptions for 3,469 yards, 13.0 yards per catch, and 18 receiving TD's.

Stallworth has suited up for 68 out of 80 games total, while starting in 44 of those games. During this time Stallworth has 233 receptions for 3,516 yards, 15.1 yards per catch, and 28 receiving TD's.

I think they are pretty comparable actually. Branch has more starts, while Stallworth has more TD's.

Honestly, I don't think Branch was worth the amount of money he got, but it seems a lot of receivers are signing larger contracts than we all think they are worth, lately.

interesting info. thanks. i still worry about the durability issue. but, getting him would be good if we dont get welker, which we probably will. with welker on board, i would get someone in the draft, instead of stallworth. but im not b.b., ill be happy with whatever he decides:)

For those who don't know me:
I have 1,145 post on the ESPN forums (mostly on the Patriots message board), and I have never trolled another teams board. I'm 24 6'3, and 258lbs. I play MLB. After talking to Bobby Carpenter prior to the 2006 NFL draft I posted threads where I said Carpenter would be a Cowboy, and I was among a few members on the ESPN forums saying I wanted Maroney over White, Addie, or D. Williams, while I also wanted chad Jackson.
in 2005 I wanted NE to draft Ellis Hobbs, and argued for Hobbs over Duane Starks.

Wes Welker has been on my radar for the Patriots since the beginning of the 2006 season, and I posted threads talking about how good of a fit he would be for NE. I didn't think they would give up a second rounder for him, though.
Good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft