PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats have potential to be one of the top Offenses next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdo5

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Alright, three offensive choices on the first day, no defensive ones. Dont get worried. In BB we trust, remember that. ;)

It seems weird to get another tight end but this David Thomas guy is pretty good. I heard a reasonable explanation as to why the Pats took him on NFL network. Graham is the more blocking tight end, Ben Watson is almost a wide reciever for us, and is gonna be one of Brady's favorite targets next year, next to Branch. So if Watson is covered or the attentions on him, this guy could be an unexpected and pretty good target for Brady. He also got 10 receptions in the national championship game last year. Someone could get injured, and DAMN, we are really stacking up our offense now. A very good offensive line, the addition of Maroney, and a passing game in which Brady has three good tight ends, Branch, Jackson and Caldwell. Not to mention Maroney is gonna get his fair share of receptions too.

Last edited:
My man news FLASH!!!! Patriots had the 7th ranked offense last year even with a gimpy run game. The defense is what was pathetic......they were ranked like 26th.

...and the year before weren't they ranked 5th?!

Maybe you meant they have the potential to be THE BEST offense next season...? I think they are a ways off. The OL still has many weaknesses and the RB situation won't magically be fixed with a rookie. He probably a yearf away from being a serious contributor.

They need defensive help badly. Don't like the TE pick AT ALL!

MrTibbs said:
My man news FLASH!!!! Patriots had the 7th ranked offense last year even with a gimpy run game. The defense is what was pathetic......they were ranked like 26th.

The overall O and D ratings can be misleading. I think TB was #1 D and in the teens for O...so what does that mean? They should go O, right? Well they definitely need to get younger on D.

With the Pats, they were better O for the season, but how long were they w/o Bruschi, Harrison, all the CBs? I think that accounts for the lower total D ranking.

Plus, look at the Denver game. They were short of viable options with the offense in that game.

We had a #7 offense, with Brady leading in passing yeards (usually the maek of a LOSING team).

OFFENSIVE LINE
We lost Ashworth
We gain Light (maybe) and Koppen (maybe)
Last year rooks had a year of experience.
Our backups gained experience: Gorin, Hochstein and Tucker.
Did we gain?

PASSING GAME
We lost Givens, Davis, Dwight, Fauria
We gain Caldwell, Jackson and Thomas
Did we gain?

RUNNING GAME
We lost no one.
We gain Maroney
This is a plus. Also Dillon, Faulk and Pass are likely to be healthier.

BOTTOM LINE
I think the running game will be much better, and our passing game will be a bit worse, but could be the same or better. Overall, we should see a more balanced, and therefore improved offense.

mgteich said:
We had a #7 offense, with Brady leading in passing yeards (usually the maek of a LOSING team).

OFFENSIVE LINE
We lost Ashworth
We gain Light (maybe) and Koppen (maybe)
Last year rooks had a year of experience.
Our backups gained experience: Gorin, Hochstein and Tucker.
Did we gain?

PASSING GAME
We lost Givens, Davis, Dwight, Fauria
We gain Caldwell, Jackson and Thomas
Did we gain?

RUNNING GAME
We lost no one.
We gain Maroney
This is a plus. Also Dillon, Faulk and Pass are likely to be healthier.

BOTTOM LINE
I think the running game will be much better, and our passing game will be a bit worse, but could be the same or better. Overall, we should see a more balanced, and therefore improved offense.

With Thomas coming in, I think this indicates that they're planning on really taking advantage of Watson's abilities next year. That in and of itself bodes quite well for the passing offense.

Maroney gives us the home run threat...

Last year you could have given our RBs a 10 yd head start and they would not have made it into the end zone. Maroney gives us the threat of breaking the long one. Look what John Lynch said about us after the Denver game. They had no respect for our run game.

MrTibbs said:

forget the stats...there were like a ton of injuries during mid season that lead to poor defensive rankings. all i remember is that the defense played pretty well by the last playoff game in Denver, and it was the offense and turnovers that lost the game for us. I'm happy getting some more offensive firepower. Go Pats!!!

Last edited:
MrTibbs said:
***Breaking News***Our passing offense was good our run offense sucked...What does this mean?It means we scored a lot ...but we scored quick or not at all...no clock killin dillon last year...next year more minutes maroney....Dave thomas...a possession receiver..especially in the red zone...How many of our drives stalled cause we couldnt punch it in?We were long and long is good...but now we are long and thick.Giggitty Giggitty oh yeah!!!!!!:cool:

chowder said:
forget the stats...there were like a ton of injuries during mid season that lead to poor defensive rankings. all i remember is that the defense played pretty well by the last playoff game in Denver, and it was the offense and turnovers that lost the game for us. I'm happy getting some more offensive firepower. Go Pats!!!

Exactly! By January, the Pats had about the best defense in the NFL. It didn't need much tweaking except for reducing injuries.

We will put of 60+ points on every team that steps on the same field as us this year.

Ceresco said:
We will put of 60+ points on every team that steps on the same field as us this year.

LOL. I'd settle for a 21 point average per game and dillon and maroney giving us a time of possession average of 59.2 minutes per game! :rocker:

smg93 said:
LOL. I'd settle for a 21 point average per game and dillon and maroney giving us a time of possession average of 59.2 minutes per game! :rocker:

We can do better than that can't we??

Kdo5 said:
It seems weird to get another tight end but this David Thomas guy is pretty good. I heard a reasonable explanation as to why the Pats took him on NFL network. Graham is the more blocking tight end, Ben Watson is almost a wide reciever for us,
I have a better reason. Fauria left, and so they get another TE. What is weird about that?

NFL Network must have been watchng ESPN Classic. In 2001, Rutledge blocked, Wiggins caught. The Pats have had three quality three TEs since the Wiggins/Rutledge year of 2001.

Since then all Pats TEs could do both. Why you would say that the Pats use Watson as a WR is beyond me. He was used as a TE or HBack, and frequently blocked.

I don't buy your analysis at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft