PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats D still Number 2 in AFC points against

Status
Not open for further replies.
One game is not a trend.
Discounting a td by backups vs backups with 30 seconds left in a 24 point blowout they went 6 consecutive games allowing 17 points or less.
That is the same run the 2001 patriots ended the season on and were hailed as peaking and carrying the team to the SB.

That team feasted on turnovers and special teams.

I think the good news is that the same secondary has played well in the past. There is precedent for better results.

I would like to see them try and get more aggressive. If they do get aggressive and get burnt then you can always go back to your zone coverage.. and let the other team pick you apart and cross your fingers that you will make a play in the red zone to stall the drive.

They held 6 straight opponents to 17 or less

As has been pointed out to you, a lot of those teams wouldn't be able to score against an empty field. So it's not like we're world beaters on D

We got a shutout on the anemic Texans which was nice. followed by being shut out, followed by wins against the browns, the bengals without their stud TE, the Steelers without their Stud RB and HoF QB, and the Bills without their stud RB.

How can you look at anything done during that stretch as a legitimate gauge of talent?

As has been pointed out to you, a lot of those teams wouldn't be able to score against an empty field. So it's not like we're world beaters on D
As has been pointed out to you the opponents are similar with other top defenses.

We got a shutout on the anemic Texans which was nice. followed by being shut out, followed by wins against the browns, the bengals without their stud TE, the Steelers without their Stud RB and HoF QB, and the Bills without their stud RB.
You are reaching that eifert is the difference and bell played against us.

How can you look at anything done during that stretch as a legitimate gauge of talent?
Because they have faced the same thing e wry other team had faced.[/quote][/quote]

I would like to see them try and get more aggressive. If they do get aggressive and get burnt then you can always go back to your zone coverage.. and let the other team pick you apart and cross your fingers that you will make a play in the red zone to stall the drive.
Why be more aggressive if conservative has worked? Perhaps vs Seattle but there was no reason in other games

That comment was about the 2001 patriots that were, in fact, world beaters.

Why be more aggressive if conservative has worked? Perhaps vs Seattle but there was no reason in other games

Jesus dude you win. I can't talk over the voices in your head telling you the Pats have a good defense.

I don't even care what their regular season stats are, Belichick defenses have routinely gotten trounced in the playoffs, often by crappy QBs. Going back to 2010:

Sanchez - 3 TD/0 INT, 127.3 rating
Tebow - 0/0, 52.7
Flacco - 2/1, 95.4
Manning - 1/0, 103.7
Schaub - 2/1, 90.6
Flacco - 3/0, 106.2
Luck - 2/4, 53.0
Manning - 2/0, 118.4
Flacco - 4/2, 92.1
Luck - 0/2, 23.0
Wilson - 2/1, 110.6
Smith - 1/0, 77.6
Manning - 2/0, 90.1

24 TD's to 11 INT's (take Andrew Suck out and it's 22/5). Nine of thirteen finish with 90+ rating, five over 100. Even noodle arm 2015 Manning got over 90. Seven didn't throw a pick.

These aren't exactly a murderer's row of QBs, either. When Brady has a bad postseason game, we always hear that it's because the defenses are better.

Not in the Patriots case. Most of these turds play better than normal against NE.

Since points against are being ignored let's see about the strength of the schedule those teams played. The Pats SOS is 19.

Seattle - 32
Denver - 28
Minnesota - 20
Buffalo - 26
Baltimore - 31
Philly - 12 (hey, finally a team with a tougher schedule)
Arizona - 29
Dallas - 22
Giants - 7
Houston - 3

Sorry @Jangles but the Pats have allowed less points against in spite of the tougher schedule they played than many of those teams.

Last edited:
Jesus dude you win. I can't talk over the voices in your head telling you the Pats have a good defense.
They have played well compared to the rest of the NFL so far this season. That isn't really even debatable.
You seem to be rooting for that to change but we really have no idea how they will play from here on and can only judge the results they have had. Those results without question have been good.

I remember an endless lecture from a grade school teacher about how important it was that everyone completed all the assigmments because just one zero would really bring down your average.

That comes to mind in this discussion for some reason...

Well I win because I've shown that the results in the field have been good compared to the NFL at large and countered every post you made about what you feel with facts showing you are wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I won't because I've shown that the results in the field have been good compared to the NFL at large and countered every post you made about what you feel with facts showing you are wrong.

Andy-dont let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Andy-dont let the facts get in the way of the truth.
I just don't the attitude that tries to turn results into something else.
Players go out on the field and get a result. If that result is good it doesn't matter how they got it.
Vs Seattle the result was bad. For 6 consecutive weeks before that the result was good and in the first 2 games it was decent in game 1 and outstanding for half of game 2 then not so good for the second half.
Overall that is good performance by the defense through 9 games.
Trying to pick out things that led to that result and call it bad despite the result is just not reasonable.
I can get people saying they see things within these 9 games that cause concern going forward but there is one result posted so far (made up of 9 games) and it is good.

I just don't the attitude that tries to turn results into something else.
Players go out on the field and get a result. If that result is good it doesn't matter how they got it.
Vs Seattle the result was bad. For 6 consecutive weeks before that the result was good and in the first 2 games it was decent in game 1 and outstanding for half of game 2 then not so good for the second half.
Overall that is good performance by the defense through 9 games.
Trying to pick out things that led to that result and call it bad despite the result is just not reasonable.
I can get people saying they see things within these 9 games that cause concern going forward but there is one result posted so far (made up of 9 games) and it is good.
Yep. youre preaching to the choir. What cracks me up is when you have pretty much destroyed a few posters here with facts and logic-they always resort to the "eye test" or "this defense sucks"-but cant provide anything to back it up. Yes, there are some causes for concern with this D-but the facts say its a top 10 unit. period.

Yep. youre preaching to the choir. What cracks me up is when you have pretty much destroyed a few posters here with facts and logic-they always resort to the "eye test" or "this defense sucks"-but cant provide anything to back it up. Yes, there are some causes for concern with this D-but the facts say its a top 10 unit. period.

The, the defense has continued to get worse as the season has progressed. The Patriots offense has covered up a lot.

I've been a proponent of bend don't break, but this defense isn't doing a great job of not breaking.

The, the defense has continued to get worse as the season has progressed. The Patriots offense has covered up a lot.

I've been a proponent of bend don't break, but this defense isn't doing a great job of not breaking.
Before last week they allowed 17 or less 6 straight games discounting a garbage time td with 30 seconds left a 24 point lead and backups on the field for both teams.

Are you telling me a defense that allows 17 points or less is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe