PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats D still Number 2 in AFC points against

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the Rams' offense is a joke, but this was an impressive display by the defense. They had given up a little more than 100 yards and three point before that last garbage time TD drive. That is great even against a horrible offense.

If not for that last drive it would have been the best defensive performance in terms of yards allowed in the last 6 years of the nfl. Ya Goff is a rookie and the Rams offense sucks but there has been worse QBs and offenses than the Rams in the last 6 years.

So ya not gonna act like that defensive performance now makes the Pats some elite defense but it's after all the weeks of complaining from the doom-and-gloomers after that performance yesterday for them to sit there and say "ya but it's the Rams" is typical doom-and-gloom ********. Neither the broncos or the seahawks ELITE defenses have been at the point with less than 2 minutes in the game holding a team to under 100 yards

Ya Goff is a rookie and the Rams offense sucks but there has been worse QBs and offenses than the Rams in the last 6 years.

Neither the broncos or the seahawks ELITE defenses have been at the point with less than 2 minutes in the game holding a team to under 100 yards

That sounds incredible...almost too good to believe. Where's your source?

I sometimes wonder if we are all to dumb to realize that Belichick and Patricia use an algorithm type approach, where they are willing to give up so many yards or points. They feel they can overcome 3 points that takes a team 7-10 plays to achieve but they would not be able to overcome 7 points on a single big play.

I sometimes wonder if we are all to dumb to realize that Belichick and Patricia use an algorithm type approach, where they are willing to give up so many yards or points. They feel they can overcome 3 points that takes a team 7-10 plays to achieve but they would not be able to overcome 7 points on a single big play.
No.
They try to stop every play of every game. But they are averse to taking risk to do so.
On a first and ten run against a running team where you have a strong tendency that they will run some teams will load the box to stop that run. The patriots will defend the entire field but expect the players with the run responsibility to do their job. The will be less effective on average if the team runs than a team that guesses right and sells out but they will not be exposed to a big play if they guess wrong.
This goes across all parts of defense. On 3rd and 10 if our corner doesn't cover his man tightly we are more likely to give up a completion than if we all out blitzed and hoped the pressure got there first. But if the pressure didn't get there we would have risked getting burned.

It's about risk and what you are willing to expose yourself to in order to devote EXTRA resources to taking something away.
Every defense that is ever drawn up is successful if all 11 men do their job as designed and do it well. That rarely happens and the patriots more than any other defense limit their exposure to what happens when the call doesn't go as designed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If not for that last drive it would have been the best defensive performance in terms of yards allowed in the last 6 years of the nfl. Ya Goff is a rookie and the Rams offense sucks but there has been worse QBs and offenses than the Rams in the last 6 years.

So ya not gonna act like that defensive performance now makes the Pats some elite defense but it's after all the weeks of complaining from the doom-and-gloomers after that performance yesterday for them to sit there and say "ya but it's the Rams" is typical doom-and-gloom ********. Neither the broncos or the seahawks ELITE defenses have been at the point with less than 2 minutes in the game holding a team to under 100 yards

The defense played great yesterday (they were dominant), and they have been showing improvement each week since the Hawks game, so that's a big positive going forward.

But let's not celebrate these stats as some kind of huge accomplishment. Over their last 6 games, the Rams have scored more than 10 points only once.

And the last time Belichick played a Fisher team in Foxboro (the Titans in 2009), the Titans finished with 186 total yards, and an incredible -7 passing yards (yes, minus 7 yards). Yes, it was snowing, but the Pats had 426 passing yards, so the snow doesn't explain why the Titans were so bad on that day. We all know that the 2009 defense wasn't anything special either, so maybe it has something to do with Belichick completely owning Fisher.

We are not going to face anyone as bad as the Rams going forward, so yesterday was nothing more than a glorified scrimmage. A nice one, in which Patricia tried a few things they had not done so far this year, and it worked, so we should expect the defense to continue to build on that.

2 things that were encouraging yesterday :
(1) Sheard had a few nice plays. It seems he's not going the Adelius Thomas route, and still buys into the coaching. It could have gone either way after he was a scratch, but right now it seems good.
(2) Van Noy having the green dot after Hightower left, and the defense didn't miss a beat. He's new to the system, and yet the defense wasn't confused when he got to call the defensive plays in the huddle. Moreover, to my eyes he didn't seem like the Pats went to a vanilla defense to help Van Noy.

Next week is a more relevant test. We might face the Ravens in the playoffs, and Brady has been so-so against the Ravens historically. It will be a great test for this defense, against a possible playoff caliber team and a Ravens defense that might make things more difficult than usual for the Pats offense.

No.
They try to stop every play of every game. But they are averse to taking risk to do so.
On a first and ten run against a running team where you have a strong tendency that they will run some teams will load the box to stop that run. The patriots will defend the entire field but expect the players with the run responsibility to do their job. The will be less effective on average if the team runs than a team that guesses right and sells out but they will not be exposed to a big play if they guess wrong.
This goes across all parts of defense. On 3rd and 10 if our corner doesn't cover his man tightly we are more likely to give up a completion than if we all out blitzed and hoped the pressure got there first. But if the pressure didn't get there we would have risked getting burned.

It's about risk and what you are willing to expose yourself to in order to devote EXTRA resources to taking something away.
Every defense that is ever drawn up is successful if all 11 men do their job as designed and do it well. That rarely happens and the patriots more than any other defense limit their exposure to what happens when the call doesn't go as designed.
This actually describes what I think they are up to on Defense pretty well. I have heard it said many times that the entire concept of Bend don't break is to always be working towards stopping the big play as first priority. That does not mean that you are not expecting run stoppers to still stop the run etc. The only thing I would add is I don't think all that necessarily makes what "Brady6" was trying to say invalid. I'm not saying it is valid, I'm just saying it is not mutually exclusive. Goal defensivvely is to give the other team ZERO points first on a drive, then hold them to 3 if first option not achieved. Give up 7 and it's a failure on that one drive. (unless you have a big lead late and you made them burn clock)

Agree keep bringing on the Jets, Rams, SF etc and we will continue doing well,

This actually describes what I think they are up to on Defense pretty well. I have heard it said many times that the entire concept of Bend don't break is to always be working towards stopping the big play as first priority. That does not mean that you are not expecting run stoppers to still stop the run etc. The only thing I would add is I don't think all that necessarily makes what "Brady6" was trying to say invalid. I'm not saying it is valid, I'm just saying it is not mutually exclusive. Goal defensivvely is to give the other team ZERO points first on a drive, then hold them to 3 if first option not achieved. Give up 7 and it's a failure on that one drive. (unless you have a big lead late and you made them burn clock)
I took his post to suggest they scheme to allow drives and FGs.
The scheme is to stop every play, but at what risk? I guarantee you that belichick or almost any defense could go into a game saying no matter what happens turn won't run for more than 5 yards on any play and do it. It's just that to do it exposes you to beating beaten so many other ways that it's silly.
That doesn't mean they are happy giving up 5+ runs it means it is one of many priorities.

Well at least you are at the head of the class of the ignorant and understand the defense has played very well.
Soon you may actually understand the whole thing. Yay for you.

Losers gonna loser
Well at least you are at the head of the class of the ignorant and understand the defense has played very well.
Soon you may actually understand the whole thing. Yay for you.

He is an incredibly stupid poster. I would be shocked if he can manager to dress himself each day

They won't be #2 in the AFC in points-against on Tuesday morning.

They are actually 2nd in the NFL and yes they will be either 1st if they win or 2nd if they lose in the AFC in scoring. Care to make a wager?

They aren't #2 in the AFC right now they are tied for 1 and tied for 2 in the NFL.
They will at least be #1 in the AFC and #2 in the NFL by Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes