PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats cut Hawkins, sign Testaverde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hawk released

Sorry...My rottweiler is dying (brain tumor) so I haven't been able to stay as "up to date" as I would like... :( Please forgive me...

Forgiven. :)

Sorry to hear about that.

I think it's probably a good sign that Harrison and Wilson's health issues from last season are not a concern. They've got two younger guys in Sanders and Meriweather who will blossom with more chances to get on the field. Hawkins will be back if/when injuries hit. Good to know we've got him out there should we need someone who can step in and do a good job. Of course I'm sure the Jets have already contacted him. Didn't they lose one of their safeties for the year a couple weeks ago??

We should not count on future contributions from any player we cut, especially veteran defensive backs.

I have this vague memory that Vinnie once said he didn't like the hours of a coach (really, 100 hours a week is a problem?) but it may not have been him.
Heh, this is BB we're talking about - Mr. Smoothtalker!

Some of that was my play-by-play, so you'll want to see for yourself before coming to any conclusions. :)
I watched him in game one and what you were typing wasn't any different from what I saw in that game.

We should not count on future contributions from any player we cut, especially veteran defensive backs.

Precisely, we could well see him again in a Jets uniform.

That is rather unfortunate because he has been a serviceable player over the past two seasons, and some people even thought he outplayed Eugene Wilson.

Well, we all know by now that BB knows what he is doing, so we must have some solid depth at safety.

We do indeed have solid depth at safety. Once it was clear that Harrison and Wilson were healthy, hawkins was given a chance to catch on elsewhere. After all, Sanders and Meriweather are the safeties of the future. Wilson might even be extended.

We have the following:

STARTERS: Harrison, Wilson

BACKUPS: Sanders, Meriweather

STer's: Andrews, Mitchell, Baker

I think that four safeties is all we need to play the position. At least one of the four should be able to play nickel if needed. Both Meriweather and Sanders can do that.

We will likely keep six safeties, since Andrews and Mitchell will probably win Special teams roster spots.

That is rather unfortunate because he has been a serviceable player over the past two seasons, and some people even thought he outplayed Eugene Wilson.

Well, we all know by now that BB knows what he is doing, so we must have some solid depth at safety.

Last edited:

Sorry...My rottweiler is dying (brain tumor) so I haven't been able to stay as "up to date" as I would like... :( Please forgive me...

Thats terrible! I wish your dog the best because i know how hard it can be to lose a pet especially with something so terrible as that.

Best Wishes.

Sorry, AFPF. I just found out my mother has cancer, too. Very tough. I know well wishing sometimes comes off weakly, but we live and die, I guess. If you made the best for the poor thing, than all will be well. After watching the videos you posted, I bugged my sleeping Rott to hug the hell out of her. It'll be a sad day when she dies. It's cold to say, but the tears will eventually become giggles when you think back.

So, Vinnie shows up after two-a-days, hopefully will only play enough to get another year with a TD pass, and gets 820K for it. Nice gig.

So, Vinnie shows up after two-a-days, hopefully will only play enough to get another year with a TD pass, and gets 820K for it. Nice gig.

I'd do it for $820K. I do suppose my screaming when hit would unsettle the team though.

This is one of the most unsurprising moves of the year. Vinny never cleaned out his locker and was seen practicing with the team. It doesn't take a genius to see this signing coming.

This is one of the most unsurprising moves of the year. Vinny never cleaned out his locker and was seen practicing with the team. It doesn't take a genius to see this signing coming.

And considering the fact that Vinny said twice he was going to sign after training camp...

I'd do it for $820K. I do suppose my screaming when hit would unsettle the team though.

I think that anyone who is hit by a pass-rushing NFL defensive end and still has enough breath left to scream should consider themselves lucky... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes