PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats cut Hawkins, sign Testaverde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad for Hawkins. I thought he was a decent player.

Why am I the only one who hates this? We sign a guy we don't need for a guy we possibly might need.

It's not a trade-off. The Pats have the space. Hawkins isn't needed.

I have a feeling this won't be the last time we hear about Artrell Hawkins.

I'm sad to see him go but I won't be surprised if comes back eventually.

Thanks to T-Shirt:

thehawkmr2.jpg
Wished he could have gotten a ring. He held that secondary together back in the revolving-door-at-safety days, and did it while learning a new position on a new defense. Sad to see him go, having him around made me miss Hank just a little less. :)

So does anybody give him a spot, or is it shadow roster time for the Hawk?

Disappointing news..... I am sure he'll sign with another team, most likely the Colts or Jets.

More than likely Artrell will be wearing green and white within next week

I think Gut does yes, thought I'm not that worried about Cassel - the one thing MattC needs is game reps to help him develop his field vision and pocket presence, tough to get around here. Gut has looked good in preseason games, verses some camp reports, and seems a good candidate to develop behind Cassel. I'd rather use this time to get Vinny tuned into the offense, and bring him back later this season as the race to the postseason warms up - he'll be that much closer to ready without taking up a roster slot that would be better used for a Gutierrez who needs the clipboard time.
I was thinking the same thing. They'll cut Vinnie before game 1. Right now, Vinnie practices and can also help Brady sync up with his receivers. Helping Brady would be the main reason for keeping him on the 53, since he's not about to sign with anyone else. And I'm sure Vinnie will be on board with all of this, they probably had their plan on the books in January.

I have no idea if they'll sign Gutierrez because I don't see him at practice and that's a major factor in decisions, but in games, he's looked sharp. In another year, he might make it, but the competition will be so tough, they might hope to get him to the PS.

I was thinking the same thing. They'll cut Vinnie before game 1. Right now, Vinnie practices and can also help Brady sync up with his receivers. Helping Brady would be the main reason for keeping him on the 53, since he's not about to sign with anyone else. And I'm sure Vinnie will be on board with all of this, they probably had their plan on the books in January.

I have no idea if they'll sign Gutierrez because I don't see him at practice and that's a major factor in decisions, but in games, he's looked sharp. In another year, he might make it, but the competition will be so tough, they might hope to get him to the PS.
From game one, and reading the play-by-play in the chatroom, I think there's enough to Gut to keep him, I'd want him on the 53 to be the third QB so he can learn while on the sidelines.

Hawkins seemed like a strong leader back there in the secondary. That's tough to replace. But in BB I trust.

Maybe they foresee Asante returning shortly??

Hawk released

Hawkins was released.. I don't understand, he's been a very reliable backup for us at safety... :confused:

Re: Hawk released

I guess he's been injured. No Chad Scott, no Hawkins. So much for veteran depth with knowledge of our system at DB.

I've been trying to dope out the Vinnie move ... without much success.
This helps, along with Box's remarks.

But why have a guy pitching for little more than a week - before cutdowns?

Agree that, whatever is happening, has long been premeditated.
But then there is that awkward torquing Cassel suffered.
With Gut on either the 53 or the p/s ... if Cassel is good, who needs Vinnie?

I've been trying to dope out the Vinnie move ... without much success.
This helps, along with Box's remarks.

But why have a guy pitching for little more than a week - before cutdowns?

Agree that, whatever is happening, has long been premeditated.
But then there is that awkward torquing Cassel suffered.
With Gut on either the 53 or the p/s ... if Cassel is good, who needs Vinnie?
Vinnie is insurance, mostly for the playoffs, but also for the regular season. He's there now to learn more of the playbook and get a feel for the receivers, he gets cut on the 75 to 53 cut down two weeks away, and comes back Nov/Dec time frame to be part of the QB pool and a counselor for the younger guys (Tommy included). Who knows, BB may be thinking long term and trying to coax Vinnie to be his QB Coach when Josh gets scooped up to be a Head Coach.

Harrison and Wilson are the starters and Sanders and Meriweather the backups. There will be a fifth safety who will be primarily a special teams player. Hawkins had the misfortune of getting banged up and this set him back.

Ah, I thought there was a chance this could happen, and said so earlier in the offseason.

Hawkins was released.. I don't understand, he's been a very reliable backup for us at safety... :confused:

Yesterday called. They want their news back. ;)

Vinnie is insurance, mostly for the playoffs, but also for the regular season. He's there now to learn more of the playbook and get a feel for the receivers, he gets cut on the 75 to 53 cut down two weeks away, and comes back Nov/Dec time frame to be part of the QB pool and a counselor for the younger guys (Tommy included). Who knows, BB may be thinking long term and trying to coax Vinnie to be his QB Coach when Josh gets scooped up to be a Head Coach.
I have this vague memory that Vinnie once said he didn't like the hours of a coach (really, 100 hours a week is a problem?) but it may not have been him.

From game one, and reading the play-by-play in the chatroom, I think there's enough to Gut to keep him
Some of that was my play-by-play, so you'll want to see for yourself before coming to any conclusions. :)

Hawkins isn't a good enough player for any other team to want to sign him while he's injured, and keep him on the roster until he's healthy. He hasn't been able to practice since Aug. 8th, and apparently isn't expected to come back any time soon -- it wouldn't make sense for the Pats to cut someone who's healthy and practicing for a guy who won't be on the field.

With Harrison, Wilson, James Sanders (having an excellent camp so far) and Merriweather all ahead of him on the depth chart now, Hawkins is an emergency-depth player. If he can get himself back into playing condition, he'd probably be the first guy called if the Pats have their usual 2ndary injuries.

Yesterday called. They want their news back. ;)

Sorry...My rottweiler is dying (brain tumor) so I haven't been able to stay as "up to date" as I would like... :( Please forgive me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft