PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats-Bengals tape breakdown [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd and 8: TE right, FB strong; c-1 look with Meriweather blitz strong – set edge on FB, allowing Thomas to go inside; Warren split the RG and RT block to nail RB in the backfield – pure muscle play, with Thomas coming in clean too behind[/FONT][/COLOR]

This is exactly what I noticed watching the play live. Meriweather comes in with a strong blitz off the corner, the FB looks ready to block Warren, but switches over to Brandon when he notices him coming in off the edge. Brandon then cracks the FB with some force, while Warren gets the stuff, and Thomas comes in at the end. An added note, Meriweather had the RB lined up, and likely would have made a strong impact, as he was coming in fast. So, I can't fault the FB for blocking him there, as his linemen should have done a better job against Warren. I also noticed that Meriweather shook the FB after contact. Overall, a nice play by the defense, and I like how NE's using Meriweather this preseason.

Last edited:
Adding an observation, Butler has looked pretty good for a rookie. In my thread last week I said Darius has the potential to develop into a solid starting CB, and that he could be special. His performance in last nights game didn't do anything to chance my opinion.

A little bit off-topic, but the Philly-Indy game was on down here, and Ellis Hobbs looked absolutely awful. If Andy Reid can't find an alternative, their pass defense is going to be as bad as NE's last year.

3rd Bengals drive

1st and 10: 3 WR (two tight right), FB motion trips to I; 4-3 now (Seymour-Pryor-Wilfork-Warren), c-1 (Meriweather seam); off-tackle left run, RG and RT ole’d Warren and Wilfork; 2-gap on left side incl. Woods on LT – FB led through B gap to meet Mayo but Benson didn’t follow his block; Wilfork and Mayo collapsed backside to stuff it

2nd and 10: 3 WR (two tight right), FB motion trips to strong; 4-3 rush form now w/ Burgess, c-1 look but c-2 at snap (Meriweather dropped); TE drags to keep Mayo and Guyton down; Bodden releases Ocho inside to deep zone, but safeties are too deep; plenty of room in the middle of the field

1st and 10: 2 WR split, FB motion slot to weak (TE left); heavy 4-3; FLAG – false start, RG jumped

1st and 15: TE left, FB I shift to TE right FB left slot; heavy 4-3; TIMEOUT – would have been DoG

1st and 15: 3 WR, TE right; rush 4-3, c-1 look (Sanders slot); Burgess wide split; Guyton blitzes weak B gap; off-tackle run right; Burgess sets edge wide on TE, Thomas peels off RT block but misses RB through hole; Mayo cut-off by C, Butler sealed; Meriweather comes up to fill and make shoestring tackle

2nd and 4: TE left, FB motion slot to weak; c-1 look (Meriweather shadowing FB, reading run left); off-tackle run left; good 2-gapping again forces RB cutback inside – again Wilfork beats the RG inside; Meriweather had tracked the play well and was free to make a play behind the line

3rd and 3: 3 WR, TE right; nickel c-2 look (Butler slot); misdirection run left B gap; Seymour sheds a LG/C double and wraps Benson, but he fights through the tackle for the FD; Mayo should have been there to fill but misread the run and engaged the center in the A gap

1st and 10: TE right, FB motion wide to weak; c-1 look (Meriweather in seam); Thomas jumps past the TE block but whiffs on Benson in the backfield; Meriweather avoids the TE to fill, but Benson still squirts for an extra yard or two; Mayo again could have helped but engaged the backside guard and was sandwiched by the TE; Butler was sealed by the RWR

--end of 1st quarter--

2nd and 7: 2 TE split, FB in I; c-2/5 look; play action, both backs release; Seymour stunts over Wilfork and gets pressure backside on QB, who sails the ball and ducks for cover

3rd and 7: shotgun 3 WR (two left), two backs; nickel blitz look – both safeties low; only AD blitzes, picked up by LRB – RRB releases to Mayo sideline; ends up as c-4, safeties on inside routes; Butler reads slot quick-out and breaks it up

4th and 7: shotgun 5 WR (three left); nickel c-44; AD rushes so 5v5; LG blocks down on Green – LT freezes, misses AD inside, while TBC free outside – both overshoot and QB is able to dive forward; FLAG – illegal formation, six men on line, declined

Last edited:
A little bit off-topic, but the Philly-Indy game was on down here, and Ellis Hobbs looked absolutely awful. If Andy Reid can't find an alternative, their pass defense is going to be as bad as NE's last year.

Yeah he was getting toasted consistently but their starting corners are going to be Samuel and Brown so Hobbs should be a decent nickelback for them. Even Linda Cohn made a comment on SportsCenter last night saying how Hobbs getting burned is something vivid in the minds of Pats fans. Hahaha it was pretty funny.

3rd Patriots drive

1st and 10: 2 WR split, 2 TE split off LOS vs. 4-3, c-1 look w/ SS blitz; off-tackle run left – RE shoots B gap, Vollmer blocks down – Smith blocks out on SLB; O’Cal pulls through hole and kicks out MLB; Wendell and Connolly block down on WLB and playside DT; Taylor shoots through hole and is tripped up by containing FS

1st and 10: 2 WR split, TE right, Thomas FB in I vs. 4-3, LBs tight, c-2 look; pitch right – Baker blocks down on DE, but MLB meets Thomas at POA to bounce Taylor outside; Lewis goes for oncoming safety but gets knocked over; LCB contains Taylor inside and SLB makes the stop

2nd and 7: shotgun 3 WR (two left), TE right off LOS vs. nickel LBs blitz look, c-1 (SS seam); cross-formation draw to Taylor; Wendell (LG) gets knocked back by RDT at line – RDT peels off to force Taylor to the right; Connolly and Hoke have solid blocks on LBs, but Lewis can’t catch up to SS in box, who stops Taylor on the comeback

3rd and 3: 2 WR split, 2 TE split off LOS vs. nickel c-1 look (SS seam); misdirection draw to Taylor; Hoke got leveraged backwards at the line by the LDT – Wendell was trying to pull behind him to pick up the SS but got caught up; Taylor had to cut back right into the unblocked RLB and NB – just too many bodies in the box for a draw; FLAG – Holding, Hochstein

3rd and 13: shotgun 3 WR (two left), TE left vs. dime, NB and LB blitz, c-5 look at snap; Faulk picks up LB blitz – NB is free; O’Connell has a quick drop, slant to Galloway – LCB was playing off but O’Connell’s throw was behind Galloway – LCB broke it up from behind; there was a safety coming up, but O’Connell still could have led Galloway on the throw

4th and 13: short punt again – Slater beat it but held up this time, and the PR didn’t come up to try and catch it

4th Bengals drive

1st and 10: shotgun 3 WR (two right), TE left; 4-3 – OLBs edge blitz looks (Crable, Alexander?), Bruschi at MLB; c-1 look (Chung on slot, McGowan deep); Crable was beaten inside off the snap by TE – trailed him by three steps at the throw; the TE caught the seam route but stumbled doing so – McGowan came up from his deep zone and lowered his shoulder right into the ball; Wheatley came up from behind and fell on the fumble

Last edited:
I had to watch the Philly game instead of the Pats and this was my text exchange with my Eagles fan friend.

ME: Why is Hobbs on Wayne?

(10 minutes later)

ME: I repeat, why is Ellis Hobbs covering Reggie Wayne?
HIM: Ellis Hobbs sucks
ME: Good nickleback, great returner but no way he should be covering WR1s (PLAX SB???).
HIM: Seriously.

(1 minute later)

ME: Hah, nice return.

Re: Mods: pls merge w/patfanken's first impressions 2 when recovered - Cincy analysis

throw in slater to the disappointment list. i can't imagine him being around much longer.

How was Slater a disappointment? He was very good on his run backs and on his coverages in special teams...

Re: Mods: pls merge w/patfanken's first impressions 2 when recovered - Cincy analysis

Check. More deserving than O'Connell, even if that last drive left a bad taste. Interference on the punt and then that kickoff muff where TBC held to spring Slater for a face-saving run that called back. Not a good showing. Somebody is going to have to return kickoffs, though. Until I see Maroney, Butler, Wheatley, or somebody else get some time in as the primary KO returner, however, it's hard to give away Slater's spot.

The call on TBC was BS.. But how does that show badly on Slater?

How was Slater a disappointment? He was very good on his run backs and on his coverages in special teams...

He did muff a KO and draw a penalty on coverage.

you think he'll make the team?

you think he'll make the team?

I don't see anyone pushing to take the spot from him. Certainly not with the way Tank Williams played last night. Its hard to say about Daze-Jones since he didn't play last night.

As for the penalty on Slater, I missed it because I was in class and my DVR didn't start..

Was the ball going OOBs? Or did it do that after it hit the ground?

I don't know what happened to my thread, all those pearls of wisdom lost in cyberspace....ah me. ;)

At any rate, I've had a chance to look at the Brady sack closely with a feed provided here. IMHO it was a problem in recognition NOT a lack of talent on the OL's part. Clearly Kazcur was looking inside at the snap of the ball, and couldn't get back to Gathers in time. In essence no one blocked him and he had a free shot on Brady.

If anyone cared to notice, when Kazcur engages Gathers on the very next play he pancakes him. I don't know if Kazcur missed a call, or if someone, either Brady or Koppen, made the wrong call, but Kazcur looked confused by what happened.

Personally I think it was Brady's fault. Later after the first units night was done, they caught Kascur and Brady laughing on the sideline and later Brady gives Nick an fist bump. I think he was apologizing for making him look bad....and it DID look bad.
BB's postgame presser on that play:

Q: The hit that Tom Brady took, do you think it was a situation where his monkey is off his back now? He mentioned last week when he didn’t get touched that he just wants to get it out of the way.

BB: I don’t know. I guess you’ll have to ask him about that. There was a foul up on the play and he was a part of it, so that’s what happens when you don’t do the right thing against another good football team - they make plays and they hit you. I give Cincinnati credit for taking advantage of our mistakes.

Box: If Brady was part of it then 'he' missed a call, perhaps someone else should have caught it and checked him, but it is what it is and Brady got the hit he's been asking for.

The call on TBC was BS.. But how does that show badly on Slater?

I thought it was the right call. Slater mishandled the kick and tried to make it around the edge of the coverage that was crashing down on him. TBC's hold is the only reason he made it to the edge.

FWIW, I agree that nobody has shown me that they can take Slater's spot on the team. However, if Maroney or someone else shows they are ready to handle KO-return duty, somebody else could get his ST slot as a coverage guy/blocker.

Some first quarter thoughts as I rewatch...
DEFENSE
- Pats used the 3-4 as a base, but once they got Cincy backed up, went to their lighter/quicker 43 (Burgess, Warren, Vince, TBC). This is where I wish I knew more about the game and had played it - it looks like they were two-gapping out of the 43 still.
- The nickel was a 4-2, Guyton came off the field, AD moved to the rightside of the D/strongside of the offense, Butler moved to the slot and Springs lined up outside.
- The Mayo sack was just a well designed play, Burgess stunted, and Mayo came in behind him. Fortunately, the guard was occupied with helping out on AD, and completely missed Mayo sneak in behind him.
- Guyton looks good at SILB. He takes on blockers well and looks pretty strong.

OFFENSE
- Brady was a little off tonite and I wish the coaching staff gave him more time on the field. He was throwing off his back foot in a couple of spots (the overthrow to Moss & to Welker). But I don't think that was the reason for the overthrow, in both cases, the rush was coming.
- The Bengals got away with some brutal pass interference against our receivers. On the 3rd & 6 on the first drive when Brady threw an incomplete pass to Moss, the DB was grabbing Moss jersey well before the ball was there, blatantly in front of the ref. Let's hope the ref's ambivalence doesn't continue into the season. The play before, Welker was held as he went to make his cut and run his route.
- In another thread, I stated my preference for 3 Wide + a TE over 4-wide. But if Brady had his A game, they would've carved up the Bengals pretty good on that first drive. It was really just open missed pass (the one to Moss). Otherwise, it looked like 07 all over again, guys were getting open, and the Bengals only line of defense was grabbing receivers.

Pats1 & BOR - great stuff as usual.

Pats1 - I'll rewind and take another look, but I thought the D was in 4-3 on that final 2nd & 3rd down plays on the first drive. [And I'm not doubting you, merely inquiring], but what is the tell that TBC was ROLB & not RDE.

Last edited:

As for the penalty on Slater, I missed it because I was in class and my DVR didn't start..

Was the ball going OOBs? Or did it do that after it hit the ground?

It was a pretty ****ty penalty to call. Slater was looking up tracking the ball, and the returner, who was about 20 yards from where the ball came down, waved for a fair catch and then peeled off, right into slater. The ball came down nowhere near them.

That being said most of our damage on the ground seemed to come from draws anyway last year but you'd think after your franchise QB gets his knee blown out you'd keep a real FB on the roster to block...

Umm , the franchise QB's knee was blown on a play where a player was blocked to the ground. It wans't a blocking issue. This was a team that ran for 2000+ yards last year. Blocking isn't a problem.

Pats1 & BOR - great stuff as usual.

Pats1 - I'll rewind and take another look, but I thought the D was in 4-3 on that final 2nd & 3rd down plays on the first drive. [And I'm not doubting you, merely inquiring], but what is the tell that TBC was ROLB & not RDE.

TBC was standing up. It was the 4-3 personnel, just with TBC standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News