PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats-Bengals tape breakdown [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumping to the 3rd quarter - Box has the rest of the 2nd:

7th Patriots drive

Kickoff: Ocho! – good initial blocks, though Slater had to avoid BJGE’s man – Ciurciu gets leveraged backwards, his man then can break off and get Slater

OL: Vollmer-Connolly-Wendell-Yates-O’Callaghan

1st and 10: 2 WR split tight, 2 TE off vs. 4-3 c-2 look, safeties low; Vollmer good backside cut; Yates wrestled back by LDT, but no hurry; RTE Smith and RWR Aiken have 5-yard outs – Hoyer reads OLB jumping on outside route and throws to space inside of Smith; perfect QB read and throw – terrible drop

2nd and 10: 2 WR split, 2 TE off vs. 4-3 c-4 look (CBs off); zone scheme, playside doubles on RDT, LDT, LDE, Thomas (LTE) drive block on RDE; good execution, LBs swarm and are swallowed, BJGE cuts behind as prescribed; problem is backside safety – read run all the way and filled BJGE’s ideal hole outside RDE; BJGE instead cuts back into traffic – FS still gets him though; a case of north-south running not helping in zone scheme

3rd and 7: shotgun TE right, 3 WR left (motion right); FLAG – offsides, RE unabated

3rd and 2: shotgun 5 WR (3 left) vs. dime, c-1 (SS slot, DB+LB seams); clean protection; simple quick-out against man-under; Thomas beats DB outside and Hoyer has sharp throw to where only Thomas can get it

1st and 10: shotgun 3 WR (two right), TE right vs. 4-3 over (SLB over TE), c-1 (SS on slot); 6-man protection – Smith pickup on SLB – good read by O’Cal on delayed MLB blitz – clean pocket; Hoyer launches to sideline go-route by Nunn; throw way short, Nunn has to stop and CB now has position, good defense to prevent INT by Nunn

2nd and 10: 2 WR split, 2 TE split, Thomas motion left to right vs. 4-3 under, WLB blitz and c-1 (FS blitz creep); Vollmer good cut on first blitzer/immediate concern=WLB; Hoyer has time before FS (unblocked) gets there to have clean flare right to BJGE; obvious missed line call – 4-3 under had LDT inside on O’Cal, but he drops instead of blocking down, loses position on LDT; Smith and Thomas both ignore the same man (LDE) and block the same man (SLB); BJGE has to avoid LDT, LDE, then weave through backside pursuit to salvage yards

3rd and 4: shotgun 3 WR (2 right, Aiken motion in), two backs vs. nickel under, RLB on LOS, c-1 look (SS seam); Taylor and Vollmer solid BP on RLB; Yates beaten outside by LDT to hurry throw; Nunn fights through press, then has quick, tight break on route; Hoyer again throws only to where Nunn can catch it – solid pass, solid catch

1st and 10: shotgun 3 WR (2 right), two backs vs. 4-3, c-2/5 look; FLAG – false start, Yates

1st and 15: shotgun 3 WR (2 right), TE right vs. 4-3, SLB blitz look, c-1 (SS slot); designed screen, inside OL breaks left – LDT reads screen and meets BJGE in backfield; SLB and MLB blitz – Thomas ignores and clears out, Hoyer needs to recognize blitz and keep Thomas in; Hoyer has to backpedal with blitzer in his face and throw ball at BJGE’s feet – the LDT still was tossing BJGE around in the backfield

2nd and 15: 2 WR split, 2 TE split vs. 4-3, c-2/5 look; a tale of two abuses: Wendell blown into backfield by RDT (Peko) at snap, RCB reads run and Nunn can’t get position – both RDT and RCB meet for TFL

3rd and 16: shotgun 3 WR (two right, Edelman motion in for BP, back out), TE right vs. nickel blitz look – LBs and NB, c-1 look (SS slot); zone blitz, RDE and LLB drop; 6v6 protection, but RDE drop=Vollmer free, NB free – Wendell pulls for NB, BJGE (left) fills, but Wendell too late (Scar chewed him out after – maybe for play before); Hoyer hurried and pass batted by LDE; FLAG – illegal formation, O’Cal off LOS, declined

4th and 16: punt, fair catch – Ventrone and Ciurciu were free

Last edited:
Q: Who was doing the shotgun-snapping after Koppen left for good?
Was it Wendell all the time, or did I see Connelly doing it also?
Whoever it was, was really doing it with authority, compared to Koppen's slo-pitch softball snaps.
They were all on the money, too, IIRC.
If Connelly did snap some of the shotguns, then he seems to have improved in that department.

Q: Who was doing the shotgun-snapping after Koppen left for good?
Was it Wendell all the time, or did I see Connelly doing it also?
Whoever it was, was really doing it with authority, compared to Koppen's slo-pitch softball snaps.
They were all on the money, too, IIRC.
If Connelly did snap some of the shotguns, then he seems to have improved in that department.
Connelly closed out the 1st half, Wendell handled the second.

Thanks, Mr. Box.

What is your, and Pats1's & DaBruinz' opinion of Connelly? Is he a viable candidate for backup Center, or at least backup Guard? I love his size compared to Koppen, your man Wendell, Oburger & Yates. Naturally, I was disappointed when Al Johnson was released to make room for Burgess, so now Connelly has become my C/G backup of choice.

Thanks, Mr. Box.

What is your, and Pats1's & DaBruinz' opinion of Connelly? Is he a viable candidate for backup Center, or at least backup Guard? I love his size compared to Koppen, your man Wendell, Oburger & Yates. Naturally, I was disappointed when Al Johnson was released to make room for Burgess, so now Connelly has become my C/G backup of choice.

Johnson had a knee injury and was released with an injury settlement.

(Richardson was released with a hand injury settlement too)

Thanks, Mr. Box.

Connelly hasn't looked too bad, but I believe Wendell has been crisper in the games.

Johnson had a knee injury and was released with an injury settlement.

(Richardson was released with a hand injury settlement too)
So that's where Richardson went, I was wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents