PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats backroom let down Brady AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winning a Super Bowl in one-game playoffs is largely a factor of luck, so "a team built for the regular season" is probably a good thing, since a bye week in the playoffs means you only have to win 3 largely random games and home field does have a small but significant effect on chances of victory.

There's a difference between having a rookie as depth in case your vets get injured and having rookies as your primary targets.
What rookies do we have as primary targets?
Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, Dobson.

Winning a Super Bowl in one-game playoffs is largely a factor of luck, so "a team built for the regular season" is probably a good thing, since a bye week in the playoffs means you only have to win 3 largely random games and home field does have a small but significant effect on chances of victory.

If you seriously think it's luck I have a bridge to sell you.

Seattle is not lucky, they're damned good.

A physical team can run when they want to run, when the defense knows it's coming and still can't stop it. That's what physical means, you can impose your will on your opponent.

How did running work against the Broncos?
One game is a stupid argument. No player, unit or facet of a team is good every single game.
Your argument can be extended to everything sucks because you can find a game where it didn't work

What rookies do we have as primary targets?
Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, Dobson.

Last year we had rookies as primary targets.

Anyway, adding a talented rookie this year would not have been a bad thing, despite your trying to twist his words to make your strawman argument.

One game is a stupid argument. No player, unit or facet of a team is good every single game.
Your argument can be extended to everything sucks because you can find a game where it didn't work

No, I'm just talking about stalling in the playoffs, which is the new norm.

Please tell me where I said that, if you can't than you shouldn't lump me in with other posters. The defense failed but the offense also failed to put up points in the playoffs, as they have for years.

Like it or not, they're a finesse team built for the regular reason.

Let me get this straight. You are proposing that Bill Belichick builds his team for regular season success and chooses to not be concerned about winning in the post season? Seriously?

No, I'm just talking about stalling in the playoffs, which is the new norm.
No you aren't. You are talking stupid things like 'imposing your will' and saying our running game was ineffective because it didn't dominate every game, which no one ever does.

Let me get this straight. You are proposing that Bill Belichick builds his team for regular season success and chooses to not be concerned about winning in the post season? Seriously?

Please, stop trying to twist words. I never said he's unconcerned, you can have all the concern in the world but it doesn't matter if you don't do a good job of addressing that concern, two different things.

Last year we had rookies as primary targets.

Anyway, adding a talented rookie this year would not have been a bad thing, despite your trying to twist his words to make your strawman argument.

We aren't talking about last year we are talking about this year.
An argument that we were stupid to rely on rookies last year so I don't understand why we didn't draft more rookies this year is dumb.

No you aren't. You are talking stupid things like 'imposing your will' and saying our running game was ineffective because it didn't dominate every game, which no one ever does.

More word twisting from you. There's a difference between dominating and being effective, at the very least you want to be effective, which our running game wasn't, it completely evaporated against the Broncos.

Please, stop trying to twist words. I never said he's unconcerned, you can have all the concern in the world but it doesn't matter if you don't do a good job of addressing that concern, two different things.

No you said it was built for the regular season. That means exactly what I said, which is why I asked you to clarify, and now it sounds like you are just whining that we don't win the SB every year so trying to sound slick in the way you state it.

We aren't talking about last year we are talking about this year.
An argument that we were stupid to rely on rookies last year so I don't understand why we didn't draft more rookies this year is dumb.

Yes, and that's why your initial argument was stupid, adding a rookie to the 14 roster wouldn't have been the same as recreating the 13 roster, there's a difference.

If you seriously think it's luck I have a bridge to sell you.

Seattle is not lucky, they're damned good.

There's a limited number of plays in an NFL game, and an even more limited number of plays that actually have an impact on the final score. These includes fumbles, and who picks up a fumble is entirely random. Other sports get around this randomness but smoothing it out across a 7-game series. The regular season of the NFL somewhat smooths this out across 17 games, but even then the randomness of a single game or even a single play (or single penalty) can dictate an entire season's outcome (missing out on a bye, missing out on the playoffs, etc.)

But whether you win or lose in the playoffs hinges on a small number of plays, which means that the "better" team wins only a tiny percentage of the time more than the "worse" team. Seattle was a great team but they very well could have lost to the Niners if Michael Bennett does not recover a Kaepernick fumble early in the 4th quarter. Or if a Russell Wilson fumble in the 4th quarter does not bounce right into his hands. The Super Bowl is probably an entirely different game if the center does not snap the ball five feet over Manning's head on the first play from scrimmage. And so on.

Building a team in the NFL is about building a team to win the most number of games in the regular season that you possibly can to get the best seat at the playoff roulette table with the most chips that you can. But even with the best seat and the most chips, you're still at the mercy of the wheel.

More word twisting from you. There's a difference between dominating and being effective, at the very least you want to be effective, which our running game wasn't, it completely evaporated against the Broncos.

I'm not twisting your words, you are abandoning them when I question them.

These were your words:

A physical team can run when they want to run, when the defense knows it's coming and still can't stop it. That's what physical means, you can impose your will on your opponent.

I simply pointed out they are silly, and now you want to say you said something else, so it appears we agree.

No you said it was built for the regular season. That means exactly what I said, which is why I asked you to clarify, and now it sounds like you are just whining that we don't win the SB every year so trying to sound slick in the way you state it.

It's one thing to not win the SB, it's another to have your regular season powerhouse offense slow down to a crawl.

Yes, and that's why your initial argument was stupid, adding a rookie to the 14 roster wouldn't have been the same as recreating the 13 roster, there's a difference.

Not really. If you complain that relying on rookies is stupid, you can't complain about not relying on rookies.

It's one thing to not win the SB, it's another to have your regular season powerhouse offense slow down to a crawl.

This just illustrates your lack of understanding of the difference between regular season and playoff football, and your selective memory of the facts.

I'm not twisting your words, you are abandoning them when I question them.

These were your words:

How well did the Pats impose their will on the Bronocs defense? Oh yeah, they got their asses handed to them.

This just illustrates your lack of understanding of the difference between regular season and playoff football, and your selective memory of the facts.

Oh really? I thought the object was to score points, something our playoff offense isn't very good at, as evidenced by consistent playoff failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe