PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats actively seeking vet safety per Rap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reiss tweeting that the Pats claim big CB Antwaun Molden from Houston.
More likely just a body for Thursday, but let's see if he gets any reps at FS.

Reiss tweeting that the Pats claim big CB Antwaun Molden from Houston.
More likely just a body for Thursday, but let's see if he gets any reps at FS.

From the 2008 draft class.

YOU made the claim that the Raiders were looking to move Branch. It's up to YOU to provide evidence to support your claim.

You can tell other people to find it for themselves, but all that does is give people the impression that you're full of it. As if we really needed anything more to arrive at that conclusion.

You win
DWT

YOU made the claim that the Raiders were looking to move Branch. It's up to YOU to provide evidence to support your claim.

You can tell other people to find it for themselves, but all that does is give people the impression that you're full of it. As if we really needed anything more to arrive at that conclusion.

Because you are lazy. This is for the other posters that are not full of themselves. March 17th Bleacher Report. One writers opinion:
"Trade Branch for a draft pick, of course as high as possible. I love his talents but never saw him as a strong safety."

More:"Mike Mitchell has showed steady improvement and is a high draft pick. Al Davis and the organization could even possibly trade Branch, hoping another team is still in love with him. A fourth- or fifth-round pick would be nice."

If you want a disclaimer: If you think I have a pipe line to Al that is not true. Nor do I have inside Raider knowledge. The Bleacher Report is hit or miss but none-the-less more attuned than the Time Square Two who are wind bags. His writing and reasoning lends itself to a more than reasonable deduction with perhaps a bit of inside if you read between the lines. My quote "can be had" might lend itself to scrutiny but in the end both sides must agree.

Very interesting reading from the Raiders forum and one of their posters:

49ers trade safety Taylor Mays to Bengals
Score: 142
August 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Remember I mentioned Brandon Meriweather though and the annual trades the Raiders seem to do with the Patriots. IF they are thinking of cutting bait with him which they are anyways, do they really care about compensation? I doubt they would do him straight up for Tyvon Branch but if its about making a point, BB has never cared.

Meriweather just looks like silver and black to me.

I dont know how much weight that incidient that just happened at the Niners/Raider game has but I dont think that would be an especially popular move with either team sending Mays here.

I can still see the Raiders being major players for Meriweather though and I could also see them kicking the tires on free agent former top ten pick Roy Williams as well. He played some linebacker for the Bengals and I think Bresnahan was the one that converted him

DW Toys

Because you are lazy. This is for the other posters that are not full of themselves. March 17th Bleacher Report. One writers opinion:
"Trade Branch for a draft pick, of course as high as possible. I love his talents but never saw him as a strong safety."

More:"Mike Mitchell has showed steady improvement and is a high draft pick. Al Davis and the organization could even possibly trade Branch, hoping another team is still in love with him. A fourth- or fifth-round pick would be nice."

If you want a disclaimer: If you think I have a pipe line to Al that is not true. Nor do I have inside Raider knowledge. The Bleacher Report is hit or miss but none-the-less more attuned than the Time Square Two who are wind bags. His writing and reasoning lends itself to a more than reasonable deduction with perhaps a bit of inside if you read between the lines. My quote "can be had" might lend itself to scrutiny but in the end both sides must agree.

Very interesting reading from the Raiders forum and one of their posters:

49ers trade safety Taylor Mays to Bengals
Score: 142
August 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Remember I mentioned Brandon Meriweather though and the annual trades the Raiders seem to do with the Patriots. IF they are thinking of cutting bait with him which they are anyways, do they really care about compensation? I doubt they would do him straight up for Tyvon Branch but if its about making a point, BB has never cared.

Meriweather just looks like silver and black to me.

I dont know how much weight that incidient that just happened at the Niners/Raider game has but I dont think that would be an especially popular move with either team sending Mays here.

I can still see the Raiders being major players for Meriweather though and I could also see them kicking the tires on free agent former top ten pick Roy Williams as well. He played some linebacker for the Bengals and I think Bresnahan was the one that converted him

DW Toys
Dude thye Bleacher report is the same as a message board like this.
What you did was find the equivalent of 2 people posting on this board we should trade Brady instead of Cassel (which people said) and called it proof Brady was on the block.

Because you are lazy.

Says the guy who can't even be bothered to support his own arguments. That's positively rich.

But thank you for supplying links that don't even support what you were claiming. It was totally worth the wait.

I believe we are ok with Meriweather, Chung and Ihedigbo but we could probably use one more and I'm thinking maybe Darren Sharper although we really don't need too much of a big name.

From the 2008 draft class.

As were the mistakes, the moment they were drafted, of Wheatley & Wilhite.

We still need another FS. Will that be Molden? Maybe not; but if not him, then whom?
Ventrone? I doubt that Bill would've waived him in the first place if he was thought to be a legit candidate.

I still believe (hope?) that somebody outside the current roster will join us by Week 2.

Last edited:
Dude thye Bleacher report is the same as a message board like this.
What you did was find the equivalent of 2 people posting on this board we should trade Brady instead of Cassel (which people said) and called it proof Brady was on the block.

Fair retort. There I fixed it with additions. Disagree on Bleacher report but that is your prerogative. I said in....... my opinion, he can be had. I never said the Pats were interested or a deal was imminent.

Jerry McDonald NFL writer for bay area Contra Cost Times:

"Branch is extremely fast, made a lot of tackles and could indeed be coming into his own as a safety. The interesting thing to see will be if Michael Huff departs in free agency and Branch is moved to free safety with Mike Mitchell moving in at strong safety. As yet, Branch has shown little in the way of ball skills necessary for the position the way it is played in Oakland.

To be fair, he hasn’t been asked to do a lot of read and react stuff as a deep safety.

The Raiders re-signed free safety Hiram Eugene before the lockout began, meaning it’s conceivable he or second-year man Stevie Brown could compete to be the starter should Huff leave."

O.K. we all know now Huff was resigned as the starting FS. They are excited that Stevie Brown is a very capable Safety and Mike Mitchel is who Al wants to start at SS.

From Yard Barker with Foxsports.com April 23rd.

Tyvon Branch. The safety had a breakout season in 2009, and was snubbed from the Pro Bowl in many eyes of the Raider Nation.

2010 saw high hopes not only for Oakland, but also for Branch. Raider fans expected the same type of 100+ tackle performance as the year before, but with more improved secondary play.

After the first game against the Tennesse Titans, I think that idea went out the window.

Branch found himself over pursuing on runs, which resulted in Chris Johnson running for 142 yards.

Let’s just say it didn’t get much better after that.

Remember back in the 2009 NFL Draft, when the Raiders drafted that one Strong Safety in the second round? What was his name? Oh yeah, Mike Mitchell.

Mitchell clearly has the support of Al Davis. Last off-season, the coaching staff wanted to cut Mitchell and demote him to the practice squad in favor of rookie Stevie Brown.

Big Al refused.

Quite obviously, that means Davis wants the hard-hitting, aggressive safety to be starting soon.

I think this could mean Branch is on the hot seat in 2011. It’s quite possible he’ll be demoted, and maybe even traded. Who knows? I bet the Raiders could get good value for him. Once the Lockout ends. If it ever does…

from Silver and Black

Looking at the Raiders Free Safety Position

by Rich Langford on Jul 9, 2011 7:38 PM PD

I think one of the bigger holes for the Raiders going into the 2011 season is the free safety position, and the problem with having a hole there is there is very little talent available in free agency. Other than Eric Weddle and Michael Huff I'm not sure there is a player there that anyone is going to say is better than Hiram Eugene.

And that means those two guys are going to get contracts for more than they're worth. The good news about all of this is, I don't think replacing Michael Huff is that big of a task. Huff's coverage skills are severely lacking. Are more than anything, this is what I want from the Raiders free safety. Someone that can read a pass play and get to the right spot.

So, with that in mind, I don't think Hiram Eugene is that big of a drop off from Huff. But that also doesn't mean the starting job is his. Stevie Brown got a decent amount of run at free safety last year. There is also the possibility that the Raiders would try to move Tyvon Branch or Mike Mitchell to free safety.

Just so I have this strait. If John Clayton says it, it has more credibility?

I have sent a disclaimer. I am not a member of the Raiders organization. Nor are these guys, nor is Clayton. I have stated a formed opinion on what I have read. I am not the Pats F.O. either. They make the trades and I don't.

It "appears" to me that the Raiders have 4 Safeties with staring ability of some sort. The had five but lost one to injury (Eugene). Yet it would not be unreasonable to discuss a Trade of value. They also signed vet Giordano and second year Safety Boyd has played very well this pre season. They are even discussing fourth round pick Ohio St. rookie Chekwa as a Safety.

AJ-OK I have wasted enough time for JB the blowhard because he is lazy. It's rich he has not the time to check things out but quick to criticize when he is a pseudo intellectual and tries to hide the fact he is far from the knowledge king. The rest of us are just plain mortals.

I think Branch is young and still learning. He has recovery speed which is not a strong suit of our Safeties and I say why not (my opinion please, not Bills)

DW Toys

Last edited:
I don't understand why anybody should have to look for proof of your assertions. How is that lazy, it makes no sense.

If you make a statement and back it up with facts (as weak as they may be), it at least gives a little credibility to a post.

But just making a blanket statement with no corroboration and then telling people who question you to look for proof makes you look foolish whether you happen to like the poster who is criticizing you or not.

AJ-OK I have wasted enough time for JB the blowhard because he is lazy. It's rich he has not the time to check things out but quick to criticize when he is a pseudo intellectual and tries to hide the fact he is far from the knowledge king. The rest of us are just plain mortals.

Quick question: did this make any sense to you when you wrote it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes