PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats actively seeking vet safety per Rap

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
RapSheet Ian R. Rapoport
Lots of questions about the Patriots and safeties. I can tell you coach Bill Belichick is actively searching the NFL for a safety.

Makes a ton of sense to me. I fully expect it to be Darren Sharper.

If it is to be Sharper why didn't they bring him into camp when they worked him out about two weeks ago?

Why didn't they simply re-sign Jarrad Page?

If it is to be Sharper why didn't they bring him into camp when they worked him out about two weeks ago?

I don't know. As another poster said, why did they cut Page? The answer is they don't always have all the answers all the time and make mistakes.

Maybe at the time they were happy with Sanders and since determined he wasn't worth the money. Maybe Sharper as a vet didn't want to have to deal with the grind of training camp. Lots of reasons.

not sure, but they still had sanders. now they dont

Why didn't they simply re-sign Jarrad Page?

I don't think his contract details are out yet, but Page is starting in Philadelphia so it probably came down to $ and opportunity in another location

Sharper is 36 and played 8 games last year with 1 start due to injury.He was a liability in coverage even in those 8 games due to lossing speed.

I want them to go page now due to just injury / age / losing a step.

satz

Keep an eye on Renaldo Hill.

So, they are actively looking for a back-up safety. They released Sanders - because of $$. Why get rid of McGowan then? Paige? Digs and Barrett not cutting it? Lockett was not a good saftey, but good on ST. Is it a ST prowness issue? Color me confused.

Last edited:

Sharper will most likely sign with someone after week one. Players who sign contracts after week one are not guaranteed pay for the full season. Merely a week to week investment.

They might have requested and been turned down. Would be odd but still possible.

I could see Pats signing McGowan if they can't get the Safety they need.

same question I had in mind

It sure looks like Page is gambling on a big contract next year--he took a one year cheap deal where he had a very good chance of starting on a very good team.

I'm not sure the Pats could have given him that opportunity.

Sharper will most likely sign with someone after week one. Players who sign contracts after week one are not guaranteed pay for the full season. Merely a week to week investment.

I'm not saying you're wrong about this, but it's not really explained WHY this is/was the case.

The old CBA (I don't know if they reworked the rule in the new CBA) provided that a veteran player who was on a week 1 roster and then cut could, ONCE in his career, collect the remainder of his salary from the team that cut him.

So, for example, if Moss used it last year, then his salary would NOT be guaranteed this year by any team.

Page was not cut.
He was one of the players who had RFA status but as a result of the recent CBA he became a unrestricted free agent.
There were rumours he went to Philly as he was looking to be a starter rather than part of a rotation.

Sounds more like personal speculation by Rap to me.
I agree with him, but I can't see any factual basis, or am I missing any sources/links?

Can we move Dowling to safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents