PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots | Willing to listen to offers for backup QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I find it extremely difficult.

358px-Drew_Brees_at_Saints_Super_Bowl_parade_2010-02-09.jpg

He's found it difficult, too and it took some doing to fashion a team and scheme around him that would maximize his potential while minimizing his less than prototyipcal size. Two teams and several seasons worth of adaptation and talent collection on one side of the ball before it truely panned out.

If I am not mistaken he also won a a couple of "black shirts" for the best efforts at prepping the starters for the opposition tendencies that week.

That would be one, and a Sanchize week at that... Hoyer won 3, albeit while also serving as the primary backup.

ok....there's one

LOL......it's not like midget QB's grow on trees

Vick is 6ft as well. As far as trees go, do ANY good QBs grow on trees? I think not, which would make it even more stupid to write off someone simply because of their height.

Last edited:
He's found it difficult, too and it took some doing to fashion a team and scheme around him that would maximize his potential while minimizing his less than prototyipcal size. Two teams and several seasons worth of adaptation and talent collection on one side of the ball before it truely panned out.

How have things turned out for 6'6 Joe Flacco, is he tearing up the league? It usually takes some time before a QB really picks up the pro-game, are you sure you're not confusing that normal process for something unique to Brees?

How have things turned out for 6'6 Joe Flacco, is he tearing up the league? It usually takes some time before a QB really picks up the pro-game, are you sure you're not confusing that normal process for something unique to Brees?

The prototype is 6'4". There is a school of scouting thought that some taller QB's pose their own set of problems as the too tall variety often tend to be somewhat lumbering and awkward.

I recall reading that in Brees case Payton set about to build a scheme that featured ramped up protection and focused on creating and maintaining clear throwing lanes. Not to mention a plethora of weapons on that side of the ball.

Vick is 6ft as well. As far as trees go, do ANY good QBs grow on trees? I think not, which would make it even more stupid to write off someone simply because of their height.

Vick...another somewhat problematic huge decsion the Eagles are said to be mulling over...

Vick...another somewhat problematic huge decsion the Eagles are said to be mulling over...

You mean it has nothing to do with the fact that Vick will be 32 by the start of the season, and is prone to running and getting injured?

The prototype is 6'4". There is a school of scouting thought that some taller QB's pose their own set of problems as the too tall variety often tend to be somewhat lumbering and awkward.

I recall reading that in Brees case Payton set about to build a scheme that featured ramped up protection and focused on creating and maintaining clear throwing lanes. Not to mention a plethora of weapons on that side of the ball.

1) When is having clear throwing lanes and a bunch of weapons ever a bad thing?

2) If the prototype is 6'4, and defenses are set up to counter a 6'4 QB, wouldnt that mean that a shorter QB, with their own sets of strengths and weaknesses, would pose match-up problems?

1) When is having clear throwing lanes and a bunch of weapons ever a bad thing?

2) If the prototype is 6'4, and defenses are set up to counter a 6'4 QB, wouldnt that mean that a shorter QB, with their own sets of strengths and weaknesses, would pose match-up problems?

Good point.
Flutie always said that the key to his being able to function was being mobile enough to adjust to the throwing lanes. Nobody had more balls batted down than the just under 6' 6" Statue who was oblivious to all around him as he stood rooted in the pocket preparing to toss a drive killing pick.

Dolphins are looking to be the worst team in the AFC East and arguably one of the worst teams in football.
They are likely to land a top pick in next years draft and with the class including Barkley, Landy Jones and Tyler Wilson.... I cant see them wanting to give up too much if they are even slightly interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft