PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots waive Marquice Cole again

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sayeth the Twitter (no confirmation on @Patriots yet). Of course, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's back before the playoffs start.

Tom E. Curran @tomecurran
The Patriots waived DB Marquice Cole. #patriotstalk

He'll be back. He's become a nice special teamer to have, even considering the fact that he's probably one of the worst CB's in the NFL.

The real question is who do we need the spot for?

Wouldn't mind if he stays gone. He's a worse-than-JAG CB, and as a STer he hasn't been great lately either. On Sunday, the one play where he really stood out to me was on a punt return where Edelman had a ton of room in front of him, and would have had a guaranteed 10-15+ yards, if not for Cole whiffing hard on his block and causing it to go for no gain.

He'll be back. He's become a nice special teamer to have, even considering the fact that he's probably one of the worst CB's in the NFL.

CFL and NCAA too.

Re: Marquice Cole waived...

See you again soon, Marquice...probably.

Wasn't Harrison spotted in the locker room today? Wonder if this is a coincidence.

Wasn't Harrison spotted in the locker room today? Wonder if this is a coincidence.

If you're talking about WR Mark Harrison, he's on NFI and can't play this season.

Probably means Tebow is coming back.

With McCourty likely out, I would guess Davis, a safety on the Practice Squad.

makes sense, although McCourty must still be concussed.

Has he reached ventrone status yet?

My guess is a straight-up replacement with CB Justin Green, since safeties Harmon, Wilson, and Ebner are not on the injury report, and the only CB not listed is Logan Ryan, and Dennard is on there twice. Consider also that Alfonso Dennard played 5 snaps against the Ravens while Logan Ryan drew 71 snaps. We all like Ryan but I don't think that happens if Dennard isn't on the injury report with both leg and shoulder injuries.

Given that Green is currently being paid well over practice squad minimum, the Pats seem to have put a premium on his raw talent. And unlike Kanorris Davis, who has so-far been a pure ST fill-in, in Green's one previous game (vs. Broncos) he actually logged about a dozen defensive snaps, so I think the Pats cut Cole because they want to (a) rest Dennard for the playoffs and (b) see if Justin Green can play better defense than Cole.

I think Justin Green is about to get a tryout for the playoff roster.

My guess is a straight-up replacement with CB Justin Green, since safeties Harmon, Wilson, and Ebner are not on the injury report, and the only CB not listed is Logan Ryan, and Dennard is on there twice. Consider also that Alfonso Dennard played 5 snaps against the Ravens while Logan Ryan drew 71 snaps. We all like Ryan but I don't think that happens if Dennard isn't on the injury report with both leg and shoulder injuries.

Given that Green is currently being paid well over practice squad minimum, the Pats seem to have put a premium on his raw talent. And unlike Kanorris Davis, who has so-far been a pure ST fill-in, in Green's one previous game (vs. Broncos) he actually logged about a dozen defensive snaps, so I think the Pats cut Cole because they want to (a) rest Dennard for the playoffs and (b) see if Justin Green can play better defense than Cole.

I think Justin Green is about to get a tryout for the playoff roster.

Green is a good guess and with Boyce out and Vereen uncertain he could get a shot at KR as well.

People sure give Marq baby a hard time.

Maroney bugged me. Hernandez bugged me. Even Crable bugged me. I expected something from them. I don't mind Cole, because he's not expected to be anything more than a STer with a few plays in the back four (or five) when someone goes down. Is he a good defensive back ? Not particularly. But no one ever professed he was....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe