Patriots Slightly behind 2013 Pace For Big Pass Plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
One thing I did just notice is the 3 pass plays of 30+ yards Sunday were the most since week 6 against the Chiefs, and they obviously had two the week before against San Diego. Prior to that you have to go back to the Colts game, where they had one.

Here's the link of the whole season for that:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/stats/2014/gains/

Big plays as a whole are also a little behind from last season:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/stats/2013/gains/

Looking at the totals as a whole, barring a big finish these next two weeks, they'll likely finish behind last year's totals for the number of plays of 20+ yards. Here are the numbers of where they are now, compared to where they finished last year:

Pass Plays by distance (2013 Final Totals in parenthesis):
Plays of 20-30yds: 22 (27)
Plays of 30-40yds: 7 (11)
Plays of 40-50yds: 6 (5)
Plays of 50+: 2 (3)

Although as we saw Sunday on that pass play to Tyms, they're not off by much. As I mentioned in another thread, part of the problem is the fact Amendola hasn't played up to what he did last year. He had eight plays of over 20 yards in 2013, including one over 50. This year, not one. Another player missing that also had a few big plays is Dobson, who had three receptions of 30+ yards last season including two of over 50 yards, while Thompkins had three of 30+ also.

Overall, however, this is a better group than they had last season in terms of guys who have consistently played well. LaFell has been a terrific pick-up and he already has more receiving first downs this year than every other receiver finished with last season with the exception of Edelman. LaFell also has 7 touchdowns at this point in the year, also more than any player had last season (Edelman lead the team with 6 in 2013).

Have to say, I definitely feel better about these guys than I did last year heading into the postseason if they all stay healthy, although it would be great if Amendola would pick the playoffs to make a few plays - but I don't want to get everyone too fired up about him ;)

Last edited:
Strange I would have expected that this year's offense had more explosive plays. Like Ian, I have more confidence in this year's group to perform than last year's.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Nothing shocking here. In order to produce big plays in the passing game, an offense would need a
big-play WR…which we don't have.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Nothing shocking here. In order to produce big plays in the passing game, an offense would need a
True, but although they tend to also have a lot of catch-and-run plays for big yardage too too, which still affects that total compared to last season.

maybe sched last year was lil easier

Right, Captain, we all know it's ALWAYS about the WR. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back