PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots signed DE Rob Ninkovich to a 1-year extension

crownontherocks

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Source: #Patriots have signed DE Rob Ninkovich to a 1-year extension thru 2017. Now playing on a 2-yr, $4.27m deal

#Patriots gave Ninkovich $1.5m signing bonus and lowered base salary from$1.5 to $1m this year. Saved him about $117k in suspension fines
7:22 AM - 11 Sep 2016

Also

Source: #Patriots restructured Devin McCourty’s deal on Fri. Converted $3.74m of base salary into signing bonus. Created $2.8m of cap space

The $3.74m signing bonus decreases McCourty’s 2016 cap number from $7.9m to $5.1m, and adds $935k to his cap numbers each year in 2017-19

Ben volin

Are they not though?

But people miss the point that it takes 2 sides to get a deal done. So I doubt the Pats aren't having talks with either of them but not getting a deal done with them shouldn't stop them from getting other things done

Are they not though?

Just because something is important, does that mean you stop everything else in your life for that one thing?

For some people who want to buy a home, should they just stop buying food and paying rent and stop making car payments until they've saved enough up for the house?

The Ninkovich deal is like food, you need it anyways, it's on sale, might as well buy it.

The McCourty restructure though, that frees up cap room for this year. It doesn't add any years, and so it must be for something else. That suggests they may be close to a deal for somebody else and needed the extra room, so I'm actually encouraged by it.

Yup. You ask, no go, you move on. Classic BB. Some will sign, most will go elsewhere and BB will keep rolling.

Welcome back Nink!!!!!!!!

Glad to have you back!!!!!

Exactly. Love this move. It's giving the NFL the middle finger. Signing bonus more than makes up for the game checks he will lose this year.

Ya and the nfl can't do **** about it because it's a contract thing, not a competition thing.

It would not surprise me in the least if the NFL league office rejects Ninkovich's contract on the grounds that it was done after the suspension was announced.

Fraudger can't have the Patriots giving another passive FU to the NYJFL.

Looks like they're freeing up money.

Good. Next year we have Nink and Flowers under contract. That is not ideal but good enough for starters if it comes to it. Hopefully we can keep Sheard though but if i need to let someone walk it is him.

One thing I am curious about. I figure much of this was in place before the suspension but Nink can't be in contact with the team at all for any reasons so all of this was done through an agent i presume or is there some sort of exception for contract talks?

One thing I am curious about. I figure much of this was in place before the suspension but Nink can't be in contact with the team at all for any reasons so all of this was done through an agent i presume or is there some sort of exception for contract talks?

If he didn't sign before the suspension was effective, he will need to sign again in a few weeks.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back