PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign WR Chris Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this signing is who is the #2 WR? Amendola or Hogan or Martin? I feel like he added a body but IDK if he fits the bill for a #2. Hope so.

We are likely done in the WR market for FA with this move so i hope he can be a #2 cause I don't trust Amendola or Martin to be.

They don't have a WR2, even with this signing.

(re-posted after screwing up the numbers last time...)

Let's take a guess at the contract structure.

What we know is:
3 years, $12m total
$5.5m cap hit in Year 1

QjVruNz.png

Nicely front-loaded with the Year 1 roster bonus, plus an easy cut in Year 3 due to the minimal dead money from the signing bonus.

(Salary cap-wise, roster bonuses are fully assigned to the year in which they're paid, rather than being pro-rated)

Looks good to me.
Singing bonuses are divided across up to 5 years.

So another experiment? Does bill feel that dobson will be a factor? Right now there's no outside threat.

The problem with this signing is who is the #2 WR? Amendola or Hogan or Martin? I feel like he added a body but IDK if he fits the bill for a #2. Hope so.

We are likely done in the WR market for FA with this move so i hope he can be a #2 cause I don't trust Amendola or Martin to be.
The Bills have to not match the offer before we can say he's a Patriot.
Right now, the WR2 is Dobson, by default. We are certainly NOT done by any means. Another "non-scrub" will be added, whether it's it's via FA or the draft. Even a trade is still an option so let's wait and see what Buffalo does with the offer sheet.

There's no denying they overpaid, which you sort of need to do when signing a RFA so your division rival can't match it.

Singing bonuses are divided across up to 5 years.

Not if the contract is only 3 years. It's the lesser of the number of contract years and 5.

Lafell sucked last year and I didn't want him back. He had a very good year in 2014, but that was then. This kid has played 1 year of what div3 football and played more Corner that one year than he did WR.

The kid has room to grow and improve. His 4.47 pro day was better than Endleman, Amendoloa, and his workouts were the same as Martin although he is 30lbs heavier.

This $$$ deal is similar to what we paid for Welker 10 years ago when the cap was 1/2 what it is now.

He place kicks, punts, covers kicks and can return them too. He can backup at slot and play outside the numbers too. He has the straight- line speed to take the top off the defense. He also can play Lacrosse with the Belichicks after practice. So he costs some money, what's not to like?

He place kicks, punts, covers kicks and can return them too. He can backup at slot and play outside the numbers too. He has the straight- line speed to take the top off the defense. He also can play Lacrosse with the Belichicks after practice. So he costs some money, what's not to like?

Welcome to Patsfans.com, Mr. Hogan.

So another experiment? Does bill feel that dobson will be a factor? Right now there's no outside threat.

Right now out looks like it will be Hogan and Edelman outside and Amendola in the slot with Dobson and Martin as the #4 and #5 options. If they sign Streater they will be adding competition for the end of the roster spots and Dobson will be on the bubble.

Question for you and the cap guys. Normally the roster bonuses are paid early on in the league year. But does that need to be the case?

For example, could that roster bonus be paid for making the initial 53 man roster in early September?

Curious because that could offer some protection. Still counts for salary cap purposes now so the Bills can't match, but if he looks terrible in camp the Pats could cut him and only be out the $750k signing bonus. Is something like that possible if the player was willing to agree to it?

I don't think it'd be in Hogan's interest to sign that deal. Usually the bonus money is paid upon signing, so I assume the roster bonus is instantly due, and it's just done as a roster bonus to screw the Bills' cap.

Imagine if Hogan went down injured in training camp - we wouldn't have to pay him the big roster bonus, which would be great for us but very very bad for him.

If this doesn't light a fire under Dobson I don't know what will. He seems like the odd man out in this case more than ever.

if he helps us win a SB, he will be a Hero!

If this doesn't light a fire under Dobson I don't know what will. He seems like the odd man out in this case more than ever.

While I doubt Dobson does anything, he is still 6' 3", 210lbs with 4.37 speed. Would anyone be surprised if he managed a couple of big games at the beginning of the season than stubbed his toe and ended on IR? :D

While I doubt Dobson does anything, he is still 6' 3", 210lbs with 4.37 speed. Would anyone be surprised if he managed a couple of big games at the beginning of the season than stubbed his toe and ended on IR? :D

Stub his toe? More like a paper cut and he goes on IR!

I am just giving my impression and i know WRs are being crazily over paid right now. Maybe up it to 2.5M but I don't see anything to suggest he should get another above #3 WR money. I see a #3 WR as getting about 2M a year. Maybe he will be better for us than he looked to me just now but that is my first impression.
Except that #3 WRs in the market that exists /right now/ in the NFL are getting a lot more than 2.5M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back