PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign WR Chris Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
WR:Chris Hogan if the Dolpins and Jets made such an offer how would it be viewed by most here? Probably an indiotic desperate move am I right??? But if the Patriots do it...it's best thing since slice bread... Hmmmmm.
Do the Patriots have a superior track record of success than the Dolphins and Jets, which might make viewing their moves in a different light logical? Hmmmmmm....

When I hire even an entry level employee I make sure my other staff are on board with the hire. And I don't even have a Tom Brady on my staff.

Pretty far OT, but just to say this is something I don't do, and am not crazy about the move in that direction, that "let's include everybody" thing. People should concentrate on doing their own jobs, which probably doesn't include recruiting/vetting/hiring. Making sure everybody's on board just muddies the waters.

Pretty far OT, but just to say this is something I don't do, and am not crazy about the move in that direction, that "let's include everybody" thing. People should concentrate on doing their own jobs, which probably doesn't include recruiting/vetting/hiring. Making sure everybody's on board just muddies the waters.

If you had a Tom Brady, would you?

Where is this "bidding against themselves" idea coming from? When you're making an offer for an RFA, you're bidding against both the team that can match the contract and the player's ability to turn down a deal. Even if the Bills were in the worst cap hell ever and couldn't pay Hogan a penny more than his RFA tender, he has the ability to turn down a $6M/3yr deal (half as much as he got, which one poster suggested) in favor of playing out his contract with the goal of getting a better deal the next year as a free agent. The Patriots have to bid against that as well.

BB has commented on this in the past. There are situations where the coaches and FO query players and ask for their input on college players or other pros but NEVER are they part of the decision making process. They are part of the information gather process. Very different.

With that said, I would guess that if BB, JMD or Caserio went to TB12 and asked him about a particular player and he totally destroyed him for valid reasons it would seem reasonable to assume that the interest in pursuing that player would dissipate some.

Yeah, fair point on someone at that level, but even there I think it can confuse things. Better to keep it clean. (Also frees Brady from any sense of obligiation to guys--he can just be, "hey, I got nothing to do with personnel man, sorry.")

Agree. To clarify, I only include the employees directly impacted or will be the new employee's direct report.

To the analogy, I'd hope Brady would have a say but no need to involve all 53 team members in deciding who is signed at receiver.

“Oh man, he was another guy we didn’t want to lose,” Ryan said of Hogan. “That kid is tough as heck. I really liked that guy. Big, physical, a great contributor on special teams, and he’s a good receiver. (Belichick) knows what he’s getting. He paid a lot of money, but those guys make a difference.”

Ryan acknowledged given Hogan played lacrosse in college, “there’s still some upside, unfortunately” with him going forward.

Said Ryan: “I’m happy for him, but I’m still going to try to kick his butt.”

Guregian: Patriots’ new tight end duo causing fear in AFC East

should be fun: brady to ... julian? gronk? lewis? bennett? hogan? ...

just no fun waiting 6 month for that

Those who are all over the second coming of Wes Welker...WR:Chris Hogan if the Dolpins and Jets made such an offer how would it be viewed by most here? Probably an indiotic desperate move am I right??? But if the Patriots do it...it's best thing since slice bread...the Patriots overpayed for a guy that they were bidding against themselves. Kinda like BB infamous Second Round Reaches he could have had well in the Fifth or Sixth Rounds...things that make you go Hmmmmm.
The patriots usually actually know what they are doing as is evident by their constant success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back